• We will be taking the forum down for maintenance at [3:30 PM CDT] - in 25 minutes. We should be down less than 1 hour.
  • This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is it time to do as they say?

If the GOP wins big in November, should they expand the Supreem Court as Schumer has suggested?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
There is no constitutional limit. Fill your boots.

If the Republicans are awarded the political muscle to do so on November 3rd, should they take the advice of some on the left and expand the SCOTUS to 13 or even 15 justices?
No. Nine is more than enough. Stop viewing it as a partisan playground and let them do their jobs.

I'm fine with 13, but if some people freak out because 13 is an "unlucky number" then I could tolerate 15.

Well that's egg on my face. I misread "Republicans" for "Democrats" simply because Democrats doing this has been the dominant discussion for the past couple days. Derp.

Anyway, now to answer the actual question. Sure, Republicans can technically do that if they want, though it would be redundant because with a Republican House, Senate, and WH they wouldn't really need an additional firewall.

Well that's egg on my face. I misread "Republicans" for "Democrats" simply because Democrats doing this has been the dominant discussion for the past couple days. Derp.

Anyway, now to answer the actual question. Sure, Republicans can technically do that if they want, though it would be redundant because with a Republican House, Senate, and WH they wouldn't really need an additional firewall.
Just a reminder the process requires that one Party controls the House, the Senate and the WH. As it stands the GOP wont win the House, period. so the entire question is as Hypothetical as it gets, meaning it us not gonna happen.

Just a reminder the process requires that one Party controls the House, the Senate and the WH. As it stands the GOP wont win the House, period. so the entire question is as Hypothetical as it gets, meaning it us not gonna happen.

I was going by the hypothetical scenario that Republicans had control of both chambers and the WH, which is what I took "Republicans are awarded the political muscle to do so on November 3rd." Well, not November 3rd itself, of course, but when the next Congress was sworn in.

I think term limits for SCOTUS would only ensure that the most partisan of judges are ever nominated.

Bad idea, IMO.

As if that hasn't been happening for the last three presidencies. 🙄

Why not just have them run for the position and let voters decide?

No. Having the justices be appointed and not elected is one thing the founders got right.

As if that hasn't been happening for the last three presidencies. 🙄
Presidents pick judges based on their judicial philosophy and their records. With term limits I fear that "pledging their support" would become the new standard.

No. Having the justices be appointed and not elected is one thing the founders got right.
Except they hadn't planned on a total hypocrite being in charge in the senate. Trump and McConnell are claiming they have the constitutional right to appoint and confirm at the end of Trumps term. They are correct. But what about the seat they stole from Obama? Does he not have the same right?

This is a total power play by republicans who don't like to govern, just to remain in power. The majority of Americans do not agree with the senates plans. The American people are also against most hot button issues that are coming before the SC.

So once again, over and over, the GOP will be ramming their ideology down the throats of Americans while governing in a minority. I will say this. If they get this judge rammed through, and it looks like they will, the democrats will put them out of business on Nov. 3rd.

Joe Biden has raised $150 million plus since RGB passed. And it's growing by leaps and bounds.

Presidents pick judges based on their judicial philosophy and their records. With term limits I fear that "pledging their support" would become the new standard.

Except this president has fealty to Himself as the number one criterion. The rest is just red meat for his base.

Except this president has fealty to Himself as the number one criterion. The rest is just red meat for his base.
He's picking judges who he thinks would rule on a particular case the same as he would. No different than any other President before him.

Throw in term limits, though, and it changes that whole dynamic.

He's picking judges who he thinks would rule on a particular case the same as he would. No different than any other President before him.

Throw in term limits, though, and it changes that whole dynamic.

Hardly. Kavanaugh and Gorsuch are quite conservative but not off the charts to the right.

Right-wing extremists will not allow this the third time. Rumor is that Barrett is emerging as the top pick, and she is nothing short of a religious nut.

Hardly. Kavanaugh and Gorsuch are quite conservative but not off the charts to the right.

Right-wing extremists will not allow this the third time. Rumor is that Barrett is emerging as the top pick, and she is nothing short of a religious nut.
She's no more right than Sotomayor is left.

Keep it real...

Back
Top Bottom