• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is it really "impolite" that some peoples and countries have different names in different languages?

Is it really "impolite" that some peoples and countries have different names in different languages?

• yes, it is impolite

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • yes, it is insulting

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • no, it is not impolite

Votes: 12 46.2%
  • no, it is not insulting

Votes: 11 42.3%
  • it is just the way that languages work

Votes: 14 53.8%
  • i find it interesting that there are different names in different languages for the same country

Votes: 12 46.2%

• Total voters
I think the ethical point is more correct here. No one will rule all the languages of the world, under the wishes of individual people, but if you come to a specific country where the pronunciation of their country, people (or any other words and phrases sensitive and important in local society) differs from the one you have, then it is wiser to still speak and pronounce as it is it is accepted in the country you are visiting, not only politely, but also safely.
I am NOT talking of the case when you visit the country in question and speak THEIR language there with the people there!
I thought this was clear!

I am talking of the situation when one is in one's own country (USA or England or Germany etc ) and talk in one's own language to other fellow countrymen in one's own country.

I am NOT talking of the case when you visit the country in question and speak THEIR language there with the people there!
I thought this was clear!

I am talking of the situation when one is in one's own country (USA or England or Germany etc ) and talk in one's own language to other fellow countrymen in one's own country.
For this, people need the gift of speech, such issues can be resolved in the process of discussion and come to a compromise.

12 out of 23 say:

I find it interesting that there are different names in different languages for the same country​

i find it interesting that there are different names in different languages for the same country (y) (y) (y)

This topic is an everlasting topic. :)

You are welcome to call Deutschland Germany - or Allemagne or Tyskland etc etc.
No German is insulted because of it.

On the contrary, I find it fascinating from a linguistic point of view. :)
Speaking of fascinating, I believe our use of Germany carries over from the Latin Germania in Caesar’s time. But we’ve dropped Gaul for France, tho we still say Gallic at times. When I lived in Mexico some time ago, many Mexicans referred to us as norteamericanos, as they consider themselves americanos as well. Strange in a way, as Mexico is part of North America, but the term “American” has a positive, hopeful connotation that presumably they wanted to be attached to as well. And equally strange, I found that many folks in the US falsely referred to me working in South America, which of course begins in Colombia,

Finally, if you’ve snored your way this far, are the three versions I have heard of where “gringo” came from: either a corruption of “griego,” “Greek,” as our language was Greek to Mexicans; from “green, go!,” an epithet hurled at green clad US marines; and what I read in an old book of folk songs, that US soldiers marching in Mexico sang a song with the repeated verse “Green grow the rushes Oh!” as they marched.

As my dad would say many years ago in Brooklyn about the above rambling, “that and 15 cents will get you on the subway.”

and what I read in an old book of folk songs, that US soldiers marching in Mexico sang a song with the repeated verse “Green grow the rushes Oh!” as they marched.

As my dad would say many years ago in Brooklyn about the above rambling, “that and 15 cents will get you on the subway.”

I know this version :)

I know this version :)

I've known this song since I was a child and I love it. I don't know why it is in this thread, but I was glad to come upon it. Why is it in this thread? (I'm not complaining. It just seems like a complete non sequitar.)

I've known this song since I was a child and I love it. I don't know why it is in this thread, but I was glad to come upon it. Why is it in this thread? (I'm not complaining. It just seems like a complete non sequitar.)
It is her because of the question, where the word Gringos for the North Americans come from. :)

some peoples and countries have different names in different languages​

There are end-less cases of this

It's just the way languages work, though it is admirable when countries make an official effort to use the proper name. For example there's been a big push lately for the use of "Turkiye" and it's gained traction in that part of the world at least.

Do you know how many different names for Deutschland are used worldwide? :)
And do we complain?
No! :)

I like to read "Tyskland" for Germany.

Again and again one can read comments that go like this:
"For me it is a point of honour and politeness to call every country and every people by exactly the same name that it calls itself."

To which one may answer: "Are you sure? Do you really do?"

And:

May we say Hungary, or must we say Magyarország, the way the country calls itself?
May we say Wales, or must we say Cymru, the way the country calls itself?
May we say Germany, or must we say Deutschland, the way the country calls itself?

I could go on with a lot of other examples.

So now I'd like to aks these question in a poll.
The issue is that for a long time, Europeans were colonizing and enslaving people all over the world, and in the process renamed their cities and even their countries. Now that they’ve been driven back to Europe, many of these cultures want to go back to their original names.

That’s fine with me.

Names for the German language - and for Germany:

The History of Germany or Deutschland​

For centuries, Germany's names have been known by a variety of many different names. From ancient times through the present day, people have referred to the nation now known as Germany as Deutschland, meaning “the people’s land.” Many countries have a name that they call themselves (known as an endonym), but are called different names by other countries (known as an exonym). The same applies to Germany. To name just a few of the many names or endonyms for Germany: in the Scandinavian languages, Germany is known as Tyskland, in Polish as Niemcy, in Portuguese as Alemanha, in Italian as Germania, in French as Allemagne, in Dutch as Duitsland, and in Spanish as Alemania. Not to be forgotten, the exonym the Germans use is Deutschland. In the Middle Ages, the term "Deutschland" was still used to distinguish German-speaking areas of Europe from other areas of Europe. The phrase did not, however, necessarily relate to a single nation-state because Germany did not come into being as a distinct political entity until the 19th century.

Back
Top Bottom