• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Is Islam a Religion of Peace?

Is Islam a Religion of Peace?

• Yes

Votes: 20 32.3%
  • No

Votes: 42 67.7%

• Total voters

Trajan Octavian Titus

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Is Islam a religion of Peace?

Here's just a few examples of what adherents to this religion of peace acting in the name of that religion of peace have brought to the world in the last 2 days:

2 people killed, 4 wounded in bus blast in southern Russia

ROSTOV-ON-DON, Russia: A bomb exploded on a bus in southern Russia on Sunday, killing two people and wounding four others, officials said.

2 people killed, 4 wounded in bus blast in southern Russia - International Herald Tribune
U.S. soldier killed in suicide car bombing in Iraq

2007-12-11 15:32:17

Special report: Tension escalates in Iraq

BAGHDAD, Dec. 11 (Xinhua) -- An American soldier was killed and two others were wounded in a suicide car bomb explosion near their vehicle in Salahudin province, north of Baghdad, the U.S. military said on Tuesday.

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/20...nt_7230586.htm

Suicide bombing hits children’s bus: 7 injured

By Yaqoob Malik
ATTOCK, Dec 10: A suicide bomber detonated an explosive-laden car near a military vehicle carrying children of Pakistan Air Force employees to school on Monday, injuring four children and three other people. The attack took place near the Fauji gate outside the Pakistan Aeronautical Complex in Kamra on the Attock-Kamra road.

Suicide bombing hits children’s bus: 7 injured -DAWN - Top Stories; December 11, 2007

Bomb blast injures 15 soldiers in Thai South

www.chinaview.cn
space.gif
2007-12-12 15:19:59

BANGKOK, Dec. 12 (Xinhua) -- Insurgents detonated a bomb to ambush military buses that carry replacement personnel to Thailand's southern province of Pattani on Wednesday, injuring 15 soldiers, local radio reported.

Bomb blast injures 15 soldiers in Thai South_English_Xinhua
Militants kill policeman
Tribune News Service

Udhampur, June 11

Militants shot dead two persons,a head constable of the Jammu and Kashmir Police and a brother of a surrendered militant, in the Gool area of Ramban district.

The deceased have been identified as head constable Khurshid Malik of Ramban police station and Mohammed Saleem Bhat,a surrendered militant.
Superintendent of police (SP) Ramban, Basant Rath told The Tribune that Malik had gone to his native village where he was killed by militants.

Reports reaching here said at 2 am today militants of the Hizbul Mujahideen outfit entered Moila village of Gool. They forced their entry into the house of the head constable and resorted to indiscriminate firing. Malik died on the spot, while his wife received severe injuries.

The Tribune, Chandigarh, India - Jammu & Kashmir
Pakistan Suicide Bomber Kills 11 People in Swat Valley Attack
By Paul Tighe

Dec. 10 (Bloomberg) -- A suicide bomber killed 11 people in an attack in Pakistan's Swat Valley near Afghanistan as President Pervez Musharraf ruled out U.S. forces conducting any raids on Pakistani territory to try to kill or capture al-Qaeda leaders.

Three police officers were among those who died when a bomber blew himself up in a car at a checkpoint at Ningwalai yesterday, the official Associated Press of Pakistan said. The army killed as many as 230 pro-Taliban militants in a two-week operation in the region that began at the end of November.

Bloomberg.com: Worldwide
Iraqi Christian woman and brother found dead in city with rise in religious vigilante killings

BAGHDAD: The bodies of a Christian woman and her brother were found in a garbage dump, police and church officials said Tuesday in the southern city of Basra, where women have grown increasingly fearful of religious vigilantes blamed for the deaths of at least 40 women.

In an interview Sunday, Khalaf said 40 bodies have been found this year in garbage dumps with bullet holes, decapitated or otherwise mutilated with a sheet of paper nearby saying, "she was killed for adultery," or "she was killed for violating Islamic teachings."

Iraqi Christian woman and brother found dead in city with rise in religious vigilante killings - International Herald Tribune
Triple car bombing in Iraq kills at least 26

QASSIM ABDUL-ZAHRA
Associated Press
December 12, 2007 at 6:19 AM EST

BAGHDAD — Three car bombs exploded in quick succession in the mainly Shiite southern city of Amarah on Wednesday, killing at least 26 people and wounding 100, authorities said.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...rnational/home
Somalia: 3 killed in Mogadishu bomb attack

Tue. December 11, 2007 10:14 am.- By Mohamed Abdi Farah

(SomaliNet) Three people including a police officer were killed in roadside explosion which occurred in Howlwadag intersection, near the main Bakara market in Mogadishu, the capital of Somalia – as another soldier killed in separate incident.
SomaliNet News: Somalia: 3 killed in Mogadishu bomb attack : SomaliNet > Somali > Somalia and Somalinad
Militants ambush Pakistani troops

By Syed Shoaib Hasan
BBC News, Islamabad

At least six soldiers have been killed in an ambush by pro-Taleban militants in the Pakistani tribal region of North Waziristan, military officials say.

The attack left 20 soldiers seriously injured, they added.
Local officials say the six soldiers were killed in a hail of rocket fire and gunfire.

BBC NEWS | South Asia | Militants ambush Pakistani troops
Car bomb kills general in Lebanon

By SAM F. GHATTAS, Associated Press Writer
Wed Dec 12, 10:01 AM ET
BEIRUT, Lebanon - A car bomb attack killed one of Lebanon's top military generals and at least two others Wednesday, the military and state media said, putting even more pressure on the country's delicate political situation.​
Car bomb kills general in Lebanon - Yahoo! News
Girl, 16, dies after hijab dispute with father

The 16-year-old Mississauga girl who was allegedly strangled by her father in a dispute over her refusal to wear the hijab has died.

http://network.nationalpost.com/np/b...th-father.aspx
Taliban 'hanged boy, 12, for spying for UK'

By Tom Coghlan in the Telegraph (thanks to Sr. Soph):Taliban fighters hanged a 12-year-old boy from a mulberry tree, claiming he was passing information on Taliban roadside bomb attacks to police and British forces, Afghan police have said. The gruesome murder, which occurred in Sangin, an area held by British forces since driving out the Taliban in April, sparked outrage among politicians, who accused the al-Qaeda-linked militant group of atrocities against villagers. It was the second execution of a child attributed to the Taliban in three months.

Taliban 'hanged boy, 12, for spying for UK' - Telegraph
Twin bombings in Algerian capital kill at least 47

(CNN) -- Two bombs ripped through the Algerian capital Tuesday, reportedly killing 47 people, in what appeared to be targeted attacks on government and United Nations buildings.​
One explosion was outside the constitutional court in the Algiers neighborhood of Ben Aknoun and the other was in the residential area of Hydra, state-run television network ENTV reported.​
The other attack apparently targeted the Office of the U.N. High Commissioner for Refugees in the neighborhood of Hydra, UNHCR chief spokesman Ron Redmond told CNN.

Jihad Watch: Twin bombings in Algerian capital kill at least 47
That's just a small sample there's actually about twice as many examples just within the last 2 days and nearly 4 times that amount for the last week but I've only included those attacks for the last 2 days and only included a couple attacks from Iraq.

So the question is once again "Is Islam a Religion of Peace?"

And if so just how can you make that argument given the sheer amount of attacks taking place every day from every corner of the globe by the adherents of this religion in the name of this religion???

Oh and before you western apologists chime in CHRISTIANITY IS A STUPID AND EVIL IDEOLOGY TOO but that is not the discussion at hand so if you want to start a thread on Christianity feel free but keep your bullshit off of this thread.

Last edited:
Is Islam a religion of Peace?

Here's just a few examples of what adherents to this religion of peace acting in the name of that religion of peace have brought to the world in the last 2 days:

That's just a small sample there's actually about twice as many examples just within the last 2 days and nearly 4 times that amount for the last week but I've only included those attacks for the last 2 days and only included a couple attacks from Iraq.

So the question is once again "Is Islam a Religion of Peace?"

And if so just how can you make that argument given the sheer amount of attacks taking place every day from every corner of the globe by the adherents of this religion in the name of this religion???

Oh and before you western apologists chime in CHRISTIANITY IS A STUPID AND EVIL IDEOLOGY TOO but that is not the discussion under hand so if you want to start a thread on Christianity feel free but keep your bullshit off of this thread.

Your "examples" are lame, they exhibit only the extremist views of this religion.

But I chose to vote it is not a religion of peace, because as a whole the religion and it's believers feel that "non-believers" should be persecuted, and are "open-game".

That in itself means that the religion is not a peaceful one. Does that mean the same for christianity? Sure if you can find interpretations that say so.

These extremists sure do get around.

You just can't help yourselves huh?

I personally don't believe in any religion.

I will make fun of christians just as badly as I make fun of islamists.

I brought it up, because I'm sure others will.

I personally don't believe in any religion.

I will make fun of christians just as badly as I make fun of islamists.

I brought it up, because I'm sure others will.

I clearly addressed this in the OP.

"Oh and before you western apologists chime in CHRISTIANITY IS A STUPID AND EVIL IDEOLOGY TOO but that is not the discussion at hand so if you want to start a thread on Christianity feel free but keep your bullshit off of this thread."

I clearly addressed this in the OP.

"Oh and before you western apologists chime in CHRISTIANITY IS A STUPID AND EVIL IDEOLOGY TOO but that is not the discussion at hand so if you want to start a thread on Christianity feel free but keep your bullshit off of this thread."

You can address it all you want.

Both have had atrocities committed in their name, and continue to do so. But like I stated, Islam unlike christianity believes in actively persecuting, and doing other nasty things to non believers of islam.

Thereby making it a religion that isn't dedicated to peace, as they like to tout.

You can address it all you want.

Both have had atrocities committed in their name. But like I stated, Islam unlike christianity believes in actively persecuting, and doing other nasty things to non believers of islam.

Thereby making it a religion that isn't dedicated to peace, as they like to tout.

I understand that but I'm sick of threads about Islam being derailed by "but the Christians but the Christians" arguments.

Why are you obsessed by Islam?

There isn't anything else that interrests you?

Sura (8:55) - Surely the vilest of animals in Allah's sight are those who disbelieve

Sura (48:29) - Muhammad is the messenger of Allah. And those with him are hard (ruthless) against the disbelievers and merciful among themselves

Sura (9:30) - And the Jews say: Ezra is the son of Allah, and the Christians say: The Messiah is the son of Allah... Allah (Himself) fights against them. How perverse are they!

Sura (8:12) - I will cast terror into the hearts of those who disbelieve. Therefore strike off their heads and strike off every fingertip of them

Sura (9:123) - O you who believe! Fight those of the unbelievers who are near to you and let them find in you hardness

Sura (5:33) - The punishment of those who wage war against Allah and His messenger and strive to make mischief in the land is only this, that they should be murdered or crucified or their hands and their feet should be cut off on opposite sides or they should be imprisoned; this shall be as a disgrace for them in this world, and in the hereafter they shall have a grievous chastisement

CHRISTIANITY IS A STUPID AND EVIL IDEOLOGY TOO:mrgreen:

Seriously though, If all Muslims want to kill us, we are doomed by the sheer numbers. How do you propose we kill 1.5 billion Muslims that are in every corner of the world?

Here's some interesting figures:

More people are killed by Islamists each year than in all 350 years of the Spanish Inquisition combined. (source)

More civilians were killed by Muslim extremists in two hours on September 11th than in the 36 years of sectarian conflict in Northern Ireland. (source)
19 Muslim hijackers killed more innocents in two hours on September 11th than the number of American criminals executed in the last 65 years. (source)

Islamic terrorists murder more people every day than the Ku Klux Klan has in the last 50 years. (source)

First you should realize that Christianity, Judaism, and
Islam are all the same religion (At their root, the First testament).

After Alexander that Great invaded and concord many Arab
regions ("By the Sword"), Muhammad came in to play.
He ultimately brought the "Death to all Infidels" that
is used by Fundamentalist to Justify Murder!

As if God/Allah can not take care of humans !
As if Allah did not know how dumb, obstinate, and horrible
humans can be.

It does seem, by his works, that Muhammad is a Dark
Prophet.

But also keep in mind that not all Muslims take the Koran
as literally as the Fundamentalist do.

I know of no religion that is a religion of peace, nor any that is not. This is about something that I have been saying for a while; the issue is about peronal resposibility, perception, and what one does with the information the receive. We see people in many different denominations having wide, divergent beliefs. This is not about the religion but about the interpretation of that religion. The OP question is a matter of perception, not only of the person being asked, but of the sect they are examining.And, as far as I can see, this thread only has two possible purposes: to start argument, or to validate the OP's admitted steteotypes and prejudices. Most disingenuous.

For me the term religion of peace is an oxymoron.

Religion is like a weapon. It depends on the user. Do you use it to find sustenance for your family/community? Or do you use it to strike out at your enemies? Religion in and of itself is not peaceful or warlike. That is a human attribute, religion is just the excuse. If not religion, it would be something else.

Jainism is relatively peaceful.
Compassion for all life, human and non-human, is central to Jainism. Human life is valued as a unique, rare opportunity to reach enlightenment. To kill any person, no matter what crime they committed, is considered unimaginably abhorrent. It is the only religion that requires monks and laity, from all its sects and traditions, to be vegetarian. Some Indian regions have been strongly influenced by Jains and often the majority of the local non-Jain population has also become vegetarian.

Jainism's stance on nonviolence goes far beyond vegetarianism. Jains refuse food obtained with unnecessary cruelty. Many practice a lifestyle similar to Veganism due to the violence of modern dairy farms, and others exclude root vegetables from their diets in order to preserve the lives of the plants from which they eat.

Jains are usually very welcoming and friendly toward other faiths and often help with interfaith functions. Several non-Jain temples in India are administered by Jains.
Jainism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jainism is relatively peaceful.
Compassion for all life, human and non-human, is central to Jainism. Human life is valued as a unique, rare opportunity to reach enlightenment. To kill any person, no matter what crime they committed, is considered unimaginably abhorrent. It is the only religion that requires monks and laity, from all its sects and traditions, to be vegetarian. Some Indian regions have been strongly influenced by Jains and often the majority of the local non-Jain population has also become vegetarian.

Jainism's stance on nonviolence goes far beyond vegetarianism. Jains refuse food obtained with unnecessary cruelty. Many practice a lifestyle similar to Veganism due to the violence of modern dairy farms, and others exclude root vegetables from their diets in order to preserve the lives of the plants from which they eat.

Jains are usually very welcoming and friendly toward other faiths and often help with interfaith functions. Several non-Jain temples in India are administered by Jains.
Jainism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jaimism is stupid and evil too, it's teachings lead to poverty and suffering.

Jaimism is stupid and evil too, it's teachings lead to poverty and suffering.

lol they are just vegetarian and nonviolent, and you call them "stupid" and "evil" :shock:

you've got a problem with other religions, or you are joking

2 people killed, 4 wounded in bus blast in southern Russia

And yet no mention of the Russians demolishing Grozny....

U.S. soldier killed in suicide car bombing in Iraq

It should read "Iraqi nationalist kills occupying soldier"

Suicide bombing hits children’s bus: 7 injured

That suicide bomber sucks...

Bomb blast injures 15 soldiers in Thai South

Revolutions are often bloody affairs. At least they haven't showed anyone to the guillotine yet.

Militants kill policeman

Citizen of Detroit kills policeman:

http://www.wxyz.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=cf38ce8f-81a0-40ec-9395-aa7ecc545c3e

Iraqi Christian woman and brother found dead in city with rise in religious vigilante killings

gee, too bad our soldiers suck at protecting people from this type of viloence.

If Saddam was still in power, this would never have happened.

Triple car bombing in Iraq kills at least 26

That's horrible. Please remind me why we started this conflict.

Somalia: 3 killed in Mogadishu bomb attack

Wow, once again, they suck. We killed a good 1,000 in just one day of fighting.

History of Mogadishu - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Militants ambush Pakistani troops

God dang militants.

Don't they know they're supposed to love their dictator?

Car bomb kills general in Lebanon

Are you sure it wasn't the Israelis or Syrians determining Lebanon's future...again?

Girl, 16, dies after hijab dispute with father

That's horrible.

Man kills 7-month old son:

http://www.oanow.com/servlet/Satell...icle&c=MGArticle&cid=1173353846651&path=!news

Taliban 'hanged boy, 12, for spying for UK'

Would you call for anything less if a member of the DoD was caugt spying for Osama?

Didn't think so.

Twin bombings in Algerian capital kill at least 47

(CNN) -- Two bombs ripped through the Algerian capital Tuesday, reportedly killing 47 people, in what appeared to be targeted attacks on government and United Nations buildings.

Once again, rebellions are bloody.

And yet no mention of the Russians demolishing Grozny....

Look at the supporter of Jihad and terrorism.

It should read "Iraqi nationalist kills occupying soldier"

No it was a Jihadist killing in the name of Allah as part of the global Jihad.

That suicide bomber sucks...

:roll:

Revolutions are often bloody affairs. At least they haven't showed anyone to the guillotine yet.

And by revolution you mean Jihad.

Did he do it as part of the global Jihad? No I don't think so.

gee, too bad our soldiers suck at protecting people from this type of viloence.

If Saddam was still in power, this would never have happened.

:roll:

That's horrible. Please remind me why we started this conflict.

More excuses for the Jihadist mass murderers.

Wow, once again, they suck. We killed a good 1,000 in just one day of fighting.

And who were we fighting again? Oh ya the AQ lead warlords in Mogadishu.

God dang militants.

Don't they know they're supposed to love their dictator?

More excuses for the Jihadist terrorists.

Are you sure it wasn't the Israelis or Syrians determining Lebanon's future...again?

It was probably one of their Hezbollah proxies.

Was it done in the name of Christ based on the tenants of Cannon law?

Would you call for anything less if a member of the DoD was caugt spying for Osama?

More excuses for the Jihadist murderers of children.

Once again, rebellions are bloody.

And by rebellion you mean the global Jihad.

Well your post has made one thing abundantly clear you are a supporter of Islamic extremists and the global Jihad, good to know.

lol they are just vegetarian and nonviolent, and you call them "stupid" and "evil" :shock:

you've got a problem with other religions, or you are joking

No I've got a problem with all religions, and this one is no exception, there religion does lead to suffering and poverty.

No I've got a problem with all religions, and this one is no exception, there religion does lead to suffering and poverty.

Really? Must be why Saudi Arabia, Dubai, Kuwait and Bahrain have got us by the balls when it comes to oil money. Record profits for OPEC members. A large number of which just happen to be Muslim countries. Suffering? Maybe. Poverty? Relative.

Back
Top Bottom