• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is evolution a fact?

Going forward David, if you choose to engage me, to disagree with me, to debate me then, if during such discourse you refuse to answer a question after two attempts from me to ask you, I will assume an answer for you and continue the discourse on that basis.

If you want to avoid such a development during a discussion with me then you need only provide your own answer to such questions.

Going forward David, if you choose to engage me, to disagree with me, to debate me then, if during such discourse you refuse to answer a question after two attempts from me to ask you, I will assume an answer for you and continue the discourse on that basis.

If you want to avoid such a development during a discussion with me then you need only provide your own answer to such questions.

Whatever.

Another evasive reply, why is this such a difficult question for you?

Let me try this then, is any of your current knowledge about science based in any way on any books? if so can you give us a concrete example of something like some knowledge you may have of chemistry, physics, biology? give me some examples of some things in science that you learned from books?

I can give you hundreds because I've read hundreds of books, for example the resonant frequency of an L/C parallel tuned circuit (I read this in a book) or the fact that the field equations in general relativity are non-linear partial differential equations (I read that in a book), so what about you?

You have read a book before, I take it?

Yes, in order to assert X is emphatically true one needs to establish that any and all sources used in that assertion are also 100% reliable and trustworthy, this is not controversial David, this is all very obvious.

You could try answering my question instead of trying to imply my question is unreasonable, inappropriate.

I certainly have never suggested we cannot learn anything given the risk of sources being unreliable, that is not my thesis here. What is my thesis then? it is that you do inherently, implicitly and frequently argue from authority, I've pretty much proven this now as is evidenced by your fear of answering my questions honestly.

I'm afraid you are quite wrong here David, I understand that every theory whether it be scientific of otherwise is always based on axioms, postulates - I did ask you to tell me what you understand by these terms but as is your custom you refuse to tell me.

Evolution is not a fact, I am prepared to debate that with anyone here, I tried debating it with you but when certain questions arise naturally from this you refuse to answer so any debate is dead in the water because you afraid of being exposed as wrong.

Everything I've said to you so far about this is correct David, it is the basis of scientific, reasoned inquiry, any conclusions or claims that arise from any theory are only as reliable as the sources, axioms, postulates that the theory rests upon.

Why won’t you answer the question as to what axioms are a part of evolution theory.
And evolution is a fact according to Stephen Jay Gould.

Another evasive reply, why is this such a difficult question for you?
Let me try this then, is any of your current knowledge about science based in any way on any books? if so can you give us a concrete example of something like some knowledge you may have of chemistry, physics, biology? give me some examples of some things in science that you learned from books?

I can give you hundreds because I've read hundreds of books, for example the resonant frequency of an L/C parallel tuned circuit (I read this in a book) or the fact that the field equations in general relativity are non-linear partial differential equations (I read that in a book), so what about you?

You have read a book before, I take it?

Yes, in order to assert X is emphatically true one needs to establish that any and all sources used in that assertion are also 100% reliable and trustworthy, this is not controversial David, this is all very obvious.

You could try answering my question instead of trying to imply my question is unreasonable, inappropriate.

There is no scientific debate about the fundamentals of evolution. Life evolves; species descend with modifications from other species. However, fewer than 50% of American adults know that humans developed from earlier species. The fact of evolution is seen by some as a threat to personal worldviews. Added to this social controversy is a general lack of understanding about what evolution is and how it works. Together, these factors can make it challenging for teachers to present the science honestly, accurately, and completely. NCSE is committed to helping teachers gain the confidence and support they need to teach evolution effectively.

I certainly have never suggested we cannot learn anything given the risk of sources being unreliable, that is not my thesis here. What is my thesis then? it is that you do inherently, implicitly and frequently argue from authority, I've pretty much proven this now as is evidenced by your fear of answering my questions honestly.

I'm afraid you are quite wrong here David, I understand that every theory whether it be scientific of otherwise is always based on axioms, postulates - I did ask you to tell me what you understand by these terms but as is your custom you refuse to tell me.

Evolution is not a fact, I am prepared to debate that with anyone here, I tried debating it with you but when certain questions arise naturally from this you refuse to answer so any debate is dead in the water because you afraid of being exposed as wrong.

Everything I've said to you so far about this is correct David, it is the basis of scientific, reasoned inquiry, any conclusions or claims that arise from any theory are only as reliable as the sources, axioms, postulates that the theory rests upon.

You are wrong about what an argument appealing to authority is. Already went through this with another poster who was wrong about it. According to the both of you, it makes virtually every argument an appeal to authority. That is an absurdity. Not going through that dance again.

Every scientific theory is not based on axioms. Theoretical physics uses axioms. Evolutionary theory does not. They are not the same.

Your chosen source called evolution a fact. Take it up with them.

Evolution

There is no scientific debate about the fundamentals of evolution. Life evolves; species descend with modifications from other species. However, fewer than 50% of American adults know that humans developed from earlier species. The fact of evolution is seen by some as a threat to personal worldviews. Added to this social controversy is a general lack of understanding about what evolution is and how it works. Together, these factors can make it challenging for teachers to present the science honestly, accurately, and completely. NCSE is committed to helping teachers gain the confidence and support they need to teach evolution effectively.

in other words, going forward, your dishonesty will be more blatant than usual. No one is required to play your debating games. You don't set the rules.

Pointless thread evolution is an observed fact

The Catholic Church believes in evolution.

Our non-denominational church believes in evolution.

Fundamentalists usually don't believe in evolution.

Are you serious David? Will you stop at nothing to avoid admitting error?

I have never heard such deranged waffle "theoretical science uses axioms" and "other scientific theories do not" - nobody who truly understand this subject would ever write such nonsense, this is about youd David, you're world, you're definitions all made up by you.

What are the "two types of science" you are waffling about? perhaps you mean real science and your own little made up pretend science?

Apparently you are ignorant of these two types of science.

Do you even know what theoretical physics is?

Theoretical physics

Its theories are derived quite differently from evolutionary theory.

Or the COVID pandemic or manmade climate change, which is why they vote for the PT Barnum/Wizard of Oz buffoon.

I did have labs in my science courses. They taught me what science really is. And it isn't the words of scientists, it is their work, it is their labs, so to speak.
Well how about that. You did experiments as I did myself but you never learned a damned thing about any scientists. my teachers always mentioned the Scientists.

It doesn't really matter if anyone "believes" in evolution or not. It does not change the facts that support that it occurs and has occurred. The facts of evolution are not up for popular vote any more than any other scientific facts.

Well how about that. You did experiments as I did myself but you never learned a damned thing about any scientists. my teachers always mentioned the Scientists.

I learned about science. That was the subject matter.

Apparently you are ignorant of these two types of science.

Do you even know what theoretical physics is?

Theoretical physics

Its theories are derived quite differently from evolutionary theory.

If you took that course, good for you. I took High School physics with only A grades then in College I took college level physics that used Calculus to solve some problems. Calculus is a lot of fun.

It doesn't really matter if anyone "believes" in evolution or not. It does not change the facts that support that it occurs and has occurred. The facts of evolution are not up for popular vote any more than any other scientific facts.
Well you found a science that nobody else gets to learn from then. It is bigoted as you explain it.

Not all "appeals to authority" are wrong. If the authority is an expert in his or her field, then it is perfectly reasonable and logical to cite them in a debate. That's why I often refer to Stephen Jay Gould when discussing evolution. He has written dozens of papers and books and is a recognized expert in the field.

Not all "appeals to authority" are wrong. If the authority is an expert in his or her field, then it is perfectly reasonable and logical to cite them in a debate. That's why I often refer to Stephen Jay Gould when discussing evolution. He has written dozens of papers and books and is a recognized expert in the field.

Gould will freeze frame your mind when he was alive.

I have a very serious question for you then that so far, nobody has been able to answer.

When there was no such thing as life, no plants, no fish, no microbes and nothing at all living, how did the several common elements change from non living to living?

Was that evolution in the first instance of life? What evolved?

Let me help you try to answer.

Living forms all contain from this list of elements said elements.
Carbon .... Hydrogen ... Oxygen ... Nitrogen and then we have Sulphur and Phosphorus.

Something caused the change from common elements to living forms.

Explain that?

Well I learned more than just the Science. But I will not say you told us a fib.

All my science classes were about science, not about scientists. Scientists names may have been mentioned but scientists are not the subject matter of science any more than mathematicians are the subject matter of mathematics.

I have a very serious question for you then that so far, nobody has been able to answer.

When there was no such thing as life, no plants, no fish, no microbes and nothing at all living, how did the several common elements change from non living to living?

Was that evolution in the first instance of life? What evolved?

Let me help you try to answer.

Living forms all contain from this list of elements said elements.
Carbon .... Hydrogen ... Oxygen ... Nitrogen and then we have Sulphur and Phosphorus.

Something caused the change from common elements to living forms.

Explain that?

I don't know. Neither do you.

All my science classes were about science, not about scientists. Scientists names may have been mentioned but scientist are not the subject matter of science any more than mathematicians are the subject matter of mathematics.
Nice of you to mention Math. I also learned the names of the Mathematicians that created maths such as Geometry, and Calculus and other maths.

I now understand why current math and science kids do not know who invented things they take for granted. Even in courses specializing in Electricity we learned who did what, such as who Ohm was.

I don't know. Neither do you.

Correct David, you do not know. But you ASSUME that I do not know.

I do not wish to educate you above the elementary things you know about science.

This is simple to know.

What explains buoyancy? Do not look it up if you do not know. If you are half as smart as you talk like you are, you will know very fast.

Back
Top Bottom