• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Is Bush a "lame duck?"

Has George Bush become a "lame duck" President?

• Yes.

Votes: 15 65.2%
  • No.

Votes: 8 34.8%

• Total voters
Billo..........I hate to interupt this tit-for-tat, but I'd like to read the article that you provided the link for. I don't have a subscription to the NYT. Is there any way you can print it out?

Billo_Really said:
I'm sure you won't consider it torture, but I do.
This comment is exactly what I have been trying to get you to understand, billo. You see these emotional issues one way and someone else may see the same issues another way. Look, your opinions are wonderful things and I'm glad you're passionate about them. Enjoy.

With regard to Gy and tortured children and such, I'm not following you. Sorry.

Originally posted by lily
Billo..........I hate to interupt this tit-for-tat, but I'd like to read the article that you provided the link for. I don't have a subscription to the NYT. Is there any way you can print it out?

Thanks
Here you go.

Witness: Dog Handler Laughed About Inmates
The Associated Press Wednesday 15 March 2006

Fort Meade, Md. - An Army dog handler charged with using his animal to terrify Abu Ghraib prisoners laughingly claimed he was competing with a comrade to frighten detainees into soiling themselves, according to testimony Tuesday at his court-martial.

The testimony on the second day of the trial was the most damaging evidence yet against Sgt. Michael J. Smith.

The witness, Sgt. John H. Ketzer, was an interrogator at the prison in Iraq in 2003 and 2004.

He testified that one night, he followed the sounds of screaming to a cell where Smith's black Belgian shepherd was straining against its leash and barking at two cowering, teenage boys.

Ketzer said Smith laughingly told him afterward: "My buddy and I are having a contest to see if we can get them to (defecate on) themselves because we've already had some (urinate on) themselves."

Under cross-examination, Ketzer said he thought Smith was only joking about the contest.

Smith, 24, of Fort Lauderdale, Fla., is accused of using his dog to harass, threaten and assault detainees in 2003 and 2004 - the same period during which guards at Abu Ghraib photographed inmates in sexually humiliating poses.

He could get up to 24 1/2 years in prison if convicted on all 13 counts.

Another Army dog handler is charged with similar offenses. His trial is set for May 22.

Prosecutors have portrayed them and others charged in the scandal as rogue soldiers who tormented prisoners for their own amusement during the night shift at Abu Ghraib.

Smith's military defense lawyers contend he was following his training and instructions to help soften up subjects for interrogation at a time of heightened insurgency in and around the prison.

Soldiers at Abu Ghraib were on edge after a detainee acquired and fired a gun around Thanksgiving, according to testimony, while interrogators were under pressure to get information from three prisoners captured with Saddam Hussein in mid-December.

Steven J. Pescatore, a civilian interrogator who worked for contractor CACI International Inc. at Abu Ghraib, testified Tuesday that an interrogation team created after Hussein's capture was given more liberal instructions on the use of harsh techniques, including dogs.

http://www.truthout.org/docs_2006/031506F.shtml

I guess it depend upon the gutless republicans who choose to believe some of these phoney media polls!

Most second term presidents generally go through a period of ineffectiveness, ..& irrellevance. The dirty little secret is that Bush is not quite the lame sitting duck president as the democrats HOPE people believe!

Actuall the real "lame" are those of the democratic party leadership that actually believe that Bush should be censured, ..& even impeached.

They are simply "reaching" for any damndable thing because all that matters is, "getting Bush".

Some have even said the democratic party strategy is going to be about "campaigning against Bush", ..which is absolutely ABSURD as he is NOT running for anything!!!

It is an "obcession" to bring Bush down at all costs, ..& to the democratic party leadership thats MORE important now than even winning any elections.

For YEARS they have looked under their pillows, under their beds, used the war in Iraq, the price of oil, & phoney civil rights issues to try & taint it, & undermine Bush's presidency, ..& even tried to criminalize, & scandalize it.

Like the NEW re-invented Democratic party slogan from Feingold; "we are the party that cares about national security"???? Huh huh, ..where & when did this conversion take place? :smile:

My real wish is that the democratic leadership WOULD attempt to censure, & by all meant also attempt to impeach Mr. Bush as well, ..because its going to be fun exposing ALL the rank & file hypocrisy of the democrats especially on how they fought him tooth, & nail over most issues, ..& now PRETEND to care about things they NEVER gave a damn about! ;)

At least those democrats will be UNMASKED for the reasons, & things THEY really believe in, ..& they will then be known PUBLICLY; ..but getting democrats to admit what they REALLY believe in is really quite a task because their "core beliefs & convictions" are as changeable as the type of audiences they entreat especially when the only g-damn thing that matters to THEM is undermining Bush's presidency, politiscizing the war, & hoping more american soldiers die in Iraq, & that the war on terror is seen as a failure.

Trouble is THEY believe most of their OWN phoney, manipulated media polls that they share the very same "liberal" ideology base with.

THEY are MISJUDGING the REAL mainstrean majority, ..& that is actually a very GOOD thing!:smile:

So...lets HOPE that the democratic party EMBRACES Mr. Feingold's suggestions of "censureship", ..& even the possibility of Bush's sought after impeachment by some of those ''whacko" liberal congressional democrats.

Hopefully THEY will try to find some backbone, & support from more democrats in attempting to destroy Bush; but I fear THEY will "PUNK OUT" because they KNOW the majority of the REAL mainstream majority isn't going to stand for their "sedititious, wreckless, & irresponsible behavior" because they cannot win elections anymore, & are bitter, & filled with hate & rage that Bush does NOT bow down to them, ..or to phoney media polls that 'are' MANIPULATED in an attempt to BUILD a concensus against Mr. Bush.

WE...the silent majority are not stupid as those whacko democrats, ..or the voters who keep re-electing the likes of Pat Leahy, Kennedy, Pelosi, Schumer, & the darling junior senator from New York who is looking for a nice pair of men's slacks to slide into!

My prediction: ITS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN because those democrats DON'T FOLLOW their OWN convictions which are in short supply anyway; ..UNLESS they THINK they can get the average voting majority to believe their Horsecrap, ..& thats another reason as WHY there is always some NEW PHONEY media poll out there brought to everybody by the LIBERAL media who has been in bed with the democratic party for DECADES, ..in an attempt to do just that! :smile:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom