• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Is Atheism a religion? If not, what is?

RealmOfThePureForms said:
For an atheist that truly believes there is no after life of any kind, there is no purpose to being here. For those people, death is eternal and life is finite. Because the finite is followed by the infinite, then they never existed to begin with.

Infinite non-existence is greater than finite existence. No atheist that truly believes this finite life is the only existence would be here right now. No, instead, they would have committed suicide the very moment they truly believed this.

The old suicide argument. Here is the flaw in your thinking. You treat infinity like it is a concrete thing. It is not. It is a concept. The finite is a tangible thing. Infinity is just a concept. We could sit around getting high and philosophize that our universe is just a speck under the fingernail of a bigger organism. That organism could live without that speck. Oh well, life is pointless, I'll just kill myself.

Why does there have to be a higher purpose for our existence? Is your life so horrible that you want to die? If the finite life is pointless, and the infinite afterlife is so much greater, shouldn't it be the theists that want to kill themselves?

What if our purpose on earth is really lame. Say the planet earth just wanted plastic but couldn't produce it itself. What if our purpose is to provide the planet with plastic?:shock:

Imagine this.

|finite existence|death|infinite non-existence------->

Nothing in the finite matters. The moment you reach death, you will never know you existed, and thus you never will have existed. It takes a very sharp philosophical mind to understand this concept but just seriously sit down and think about it for awhile and it will make sense.

If you only live for a finite amount of time, and it is followed by an infinite amount of non-existence, you truly never existed at all.

Talk about "the tree falling in the forrest and no one being there to hear it" run amok.:cool:

Anyone who claims there is nothing after this life is doing the exact definition of Nihilism. They are denying all existence. Whether you want to admit this or not, it is true.

It's not the least bit true. I can fully accept that I have a very finite existence and that the world and the universe will happily go on without me once I am dead.

I accept that what I percieve exists, and I accept that it has it's existence independent of my perception.

I wrote a philosophical paper to challenge one of my atheist professors about nothingness and neither he or any of his colleagues could refute what I said.

That doesn't say much for your professor, then.

For an atheist that truly believes there is no after life of any kind, there is no purpose to being here.

Not at all. The only purpose of life is to live.

This is just anthropocentrism. A need to feel that you have an important place in the universe, that the universe has a special purpose just for you.

Personally, I view it as extreme arrogance. You think that you are so special that there must be a special reason for you to exist.

For those people, death is eternal and life is finite. Because the finite is followed by the infinite, then they never existed to begin with.

Which makes the existence of the here and now all the more precious.

Infinite non-existence is greater than finite existence. No atheist that truly believes this finite life is the only existence would be here right now. No, instead, they would have committed suicide the very moment they truly believed this.

Quite the reverse. With the knowledge that this is all that there is, why would you think that someone would want to end it any sooner than necessary? It can give an even greater impetus to strive for a long life.

Imagine this.

|finite existence|death|infinite non-existence------->

Nothing in the finite matters. The moment you reach death, you will never know you existed, and thus you never will have existed. It takes a very sharp philosophical mind to understand this concept but just seriously sit down and think about it for awhile and it will make sense.

No, it doesn't. Just because something ends, that does not mean that it never existed. I have no problem with the knowledge that when my life ends, it is totally over.

If you only live for a finite amount of time, and it is followed by an infinite amount of non-existence, you truly never existed at all.

Not true. Like I said, I realize that existence is not predicated on perception. Existence is independent of it.

Because no matter how many children you have, or how big of an impact you have on world history, one day, this finite universe will collapse. One day everything in this universe will be gone.

I'm fine with that...

Memory is all that defines who we are.

No, our actions define who we are. Someone's memories of us is what we were.

If there is not some God out there with an infinite memory to know for all eternity everything which has happened to every single person, then there is no possible way for any human being to ever have existed.

By our finiteness, we have been automaitcally doomed to never have existed.

Whether you die today or in 10,000 years, upon your death you will never again know you ever existed therefor it is as if you never existed.

You are welcome to that opinion. I know that existence is not dependent upon perception, so no matter how you try to tie it up semantically. I exist, therefore, from this point foreward in time, no matter what happens to me, I will have existed. Whether or not I have any perception at that point in time is irrelevent and doesn't change the fact that I did exist.

That is why any atheist who truly believe what they say would have killed themselves the moment they discovered it. There must be some part of every living atheist that feels the end of their life is not the infinite end, otherwise they would not be alive right now to argue atheism.

I would say that you feel that way because you feel a need for your life to have a specific purpose, and you're trying to project that on everyone else.

I don't have a problem with my existence ending when my life does. It doesn't bring me feelings of despair, fear or dread in any way.

I just addressed most of this, but there are a couple points here that i think really need to be addressed.

A dead person is denying existence because they never knew they existed.

You are saying that an inanimate object (the corpse) is capable of conscious thought (making the decision to deny something)?

Also, there is one very incorrect claim in there, the claim that "they never knew they existed". That is patently false.

Because they lost this eternally there was never any value to it in the first place.

Is a rose beautiful? Does the fact that it doesn't exist forever change that?

If I go to a dead grave and make the statement "This person never knew the value of life" I am making an accurate statement.

No, you are making a judgement about what the person knew while they were alive.

You cannot argue this. You cannot argue value for finiteness when it is followed by infinite nothingness. This is the all consuming nothingness many philosophers spoke of whiich grips the soul of every man and makes him tremble with fear for the future.

Yeah, right.

I have no problem with it.

The thought of infinite nothingness is incomphrensible to any human being because it defies our very existence.

No, the infinite is incomprehensible to people, period.

It tells us that our existence never really happened because it denies us existence FOREVER.

No, you are trying to use it as an argument that that is the case, but that is simply your perception of it.

If you cannot understand this then please just say so. But do not sit there and say it isn't true just because it scares you and you don't want it to be true. There is no way to refute this arguement.

I understand what you are trying to say, I just disagree with it wholeheartedly.

I have nothing even resembling the attitudes and beliefs that you are putting forth.

For an atheist that truly believes there is no after life of any kind, there is no purpose to being here. For those people, death is eternal and life is finite. Because the finite is followed by the infinite, then they never existed to begin with.

There is something truly pathetic about needing an invisible friend in the sky to make life worth living.

For the record (existing then not existing) is not the same as (never existing) .

independent_thinker2002 said:
What if our purpose on earth is really lame. Say the planet earth just wanted plastic but couldn't produce it itself. What if our purpose is to provide the planet with plastic?:shock:

And silicone. There is an abundance being created. I reference the SI swimsuit issues and Pamela Sue Anderson, for example.

Back
Top Bottom