• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Ipsos: 46% of Canadians sympathize with Freedom Convoy

EMNofSeattle

No Russian ever called me deplorable
Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
https://www.ipsos.com/en-ca/news-polls/nearly-half-say-they-may-not-agree-with-trucker-convoy

I was listening to the news break on 980 CKNW (Vancouver talk station) when this was mentioned.

Very interesting, so the questions drew an interesting mix of answers, but broadly shows that now almost half of Canadians broadly support the protests even if not the tactics. What I find interesting is how a majority (but not too big of one) believes the protest is made up largely of “antivaxxers and bigots” but this is an interesting result, because the entire regime media apparatus has been hammering fake news about swastikas for two weeks and 4 in 10 Canadians aren’t buying it. 40 years ago this would be a 80-20 poll.

Also interesting is young Canadians support the protests at 61%. Likely because they don’t listen to the modern day Goebbels nonsense on the CBC and live stream the events.

Hah I’m listening to Mornings with Simi and their news reporter Gord Macdonald is telling Simi (Simi Sara, the show host) that the police need to violently remove the protestors. Apparently he didn’t see the ipsos poll

Just wait until the shelves are empty and ask again.

https://www.ipsos.com/en-ca/news-polls/nearly-half-say-they-may-not-agree-with-trucker-convoy

I was listening to the news break on 980 CKNW (Vancouver talk station) when this was mentioned.

Very interesting, so the questions drew an interesting mix of answers, but broadly shows that now almost half of Canadians broadly support the protests even if not the tactics. What I find interesting is how a majority (but not too big of one) believes the protest is made up largely of “antivaxxers and bigots” but this is an interesting result, because the entire regime media apparatus has been hammering fake news about swastikas for two weeks and 4 in 10 Canadians aren’t buying it. 40 years ago this would be a 80-20 poll.

Also interesting is young Canadians support the protests at 61%. Likely because they don’t listen to the modern day Goebbels nonsense on the CBC and live stream the events.
That's it.

We need Thanos to take the power stones and snap his fingers aimed at all these morons who are prone to the Trump Cult. A little less than 50%. I'll tell the Avengers to stay home....

• Six in ten (59%) agree (29% strongly/30% somewhat) that the truck protest is mostly a group of anti-vaxxers and bigots intent on causing mayhem and they should not be allowed to protest. Four in ten (41%) disagree (20% strongly/21% somewhat).
  • A slim majority (55%) agrees (25% strongly/31% somewhat) that the truck protest is a fundamental attack on our system of democracy, while nearly half (45%) disagrees (20% strongly/25% somewhat) that it is.
Note than in the US v Canada, 55% would be a yuge majority.

Another EMN OP fail.

may not agree with everything the people who have taken part in the truck protests in Ottawa have said, but their frustration is legitimate and worthy of our sympathy.”

People believe their methods are wrong.

• Six in ten (59%) agree (29% strongly/30% somewhat) that the truck protest is mostly a group of anti-vaxxers and bigots intent on causing mayhem and they should not be allowed to protest. Four in ten (41%) disagree (20% strongly/21% somewhat).
  • A slim majority (55%) agrees (25% strongly/31% somewhat) that the truck protest is a fundamental attack on our system of democracy, while nearly half (45%) disagrees (20% strongly/25% somewhat) that it is.
Note than in the US v Canada, 55% would be a yuge majority.

Another EMN OP fail.
No it’s really not. Remember most parliamentary majorities are won on far lower. Vote share then 40 percent

may not agree with everything the people who have taken part in the truck protests in Ottawa have said, but their frustration is legitimate and worthy of our sympathy.”

That however, is a very fluid idea. They didn’t pull for example on whether or not someone supports blocking the border bridge versus camping out in Ottawa. A variety of tactics have been used in the specific ones have not been polled for.

Not surprising to me. I have expressed a similar sentiment here. The truckers have every right to protest however, their tactics are unlawful. I don't sympathize with unlawful protests and blockades which are causing significant economic disruptions, businesses and schools to close, public transportation disruptions and blockages of major thoroughfares based on my agreement or disagreement with their purpose.

I get their frustration. Everybody is frustrated and fed up but this is not the way to go about expressing that frustration.

That's it.

We need Thanos to take the power stones and snap his fingers aimed at all these morons who are prone to the Trump Cult. A little less than 50%. I'll tell the Avengers to stay home....
Lol 😂

Not surprising to me. I have expressed a similar sentiment here. The truckers have every right to protest however, their tactics are unlawful. I don't sympathize with unlawful protests and blockades which are causing significant economic disruptions, businesses and schools to close, public transportation disruptions and blockages of major thoroughfares based on my agreement or disagreement with their purpose.

I get their frustration. Everybody is frustrated and fed up but this is not the way to go about expressing that frustration.
It is actually the perfect way to express the frustration. Justin Trudeau like most left wingers believe that all opposition to his agenda is fundamentally illegitimate. And so in that case following the law when protesting will not produce any changes. You need to start costing people a lot of money and costing people credibility with massive coordinated action.

That however, is a very fluid idea. They didn’t pull for example on whether or not someone supports blocking the border bridge versus camping out in Ottawa. A variety of tactics have been used in the specific ones have not been polled for.
Its easy to understand that people don't want their lives disrupted by these protests.

This news does not surprise me! A poster recently thought the support was somewhere near 10% but came back rather quickly with a follow up comment saying that was incorrect and it had recently increased to 30%. Now, this info.

Regarding this from the Ipsos link:
"In fact, one in four (24%) agree (6% strongly/18% somewhat) that they’d consider joining the truck protest if a small fringe group had not raised Nazi flags and shown their intolerance and racism, rising to 38% of Conservative voters and 39% of those aged 18-34."
I've seen many interviews with these truckers now and most think those actions were a done by "plants" intended to make them look bad early on. They said they weren't happening or seen in the thick of the action because the truckers would have recognized it wasn't one of their own. So, that's interesting and potentially disgusting if these truckers in the protest are right about that.

The problem Trudeau has is he's on the wrong side of this. There is a very easy solution to this and that is to simply remove the mandate which was outdated before it even began. Even if he decided to put it in place late last year, he could have regrouped prior to the date (he chose) to implement it. If he was "following the science", that's exactly what he would have done. It's a ludicrous requirement and the timing of it was even more ludicrous. But now, he's dug his heels in and let it turn into a battle of the wills - a battle he's on the wrong side of and this dramatic change in polling well demonstrates that. He's lost all credibility, has hidden, has not talked to the protestors, has said entirely stupid and inaccurate things about them - frankly, just one mistake after another and what a mess he has now.

I think Canada will be a different country after this, especially if Trudeau intends to end this with an even more heavy-handed, big government authoritarian approach. The harmony/agreement the Canadian citizens felt they had will be very hard, if not impossible, to restore. This has turned into an enormous "situation" and will not be easily swept under the rug or forgotten.

While Trudeau and others may disagree with the tactics of the group, writing letters or conducting a protest that wouldn't disrupt anything would also have had little or no impact. If one looks back over history, effective (peaceful - and man have these people been peaceful!) protests always tend to disrupt regular life.

Trudeau's really on the wrong side of this because his initiating action was just a terrible and wrong decision. The impact on his country and on the world is and will be significant. Regardless of what Trudeau does now, he lost and the truckers won - in a huge way.

this. this this this! :D

all my life, liberals were always known as the "cool side" when i was in school......kinda sad that's all young people vote on but whatever....but it's good to see that breaking so profoundly! even the young generation has had enough, and they see woke politics and medical tyranny first hand.

if the left loses the next generation, then that's it for them. the next generation are the future.

this. this this this! :D

all my life, liberals were always known as the "cool side" when i was in school......kinda sad that's all young people vote on but whatever....but it's good to see that breaking so profoundly! even the young generation has had enough, and they see woke politics and medical tyranny first hand.

if the left loses the next generation, then that's it for them. the next generation are the future.
I completely agree. I also spent much of my life thinking and hearing the liberals were the cool, accepting, inclusive side. Oh, how that seems to be changing (as you said, profoundly).

I completely agree. I also spent much of my life thinking and hearing the liberals were the cool, accepting, inclusive side. Oh, how that seems to be changing (as you said, profoundly).

They all left in disgust. All that's left is the other other kind of liberal.

And we're here for the party.

You in fact quote the Ipsos Poll

https://globalnews.ca/news/8610727/ipsos-poll-trucker-convoy-support-ottawa-canada/

But you deliberately ignore this:

In fact the majority of we Canadians think these protesters are self entitled idiots who have proven and achieved nothing.

https://globalnews.ca/news/8610727/ipsos-poll-trucker-convoy-support-ottawa-canada/

In fact the majority of we Canadians think these protesters are self entitled idiots who have proven and achieved nothing.
Because that’s a older poll and has been superseded by the newer one.

Because that’s a older poll and has been superseded by the newer one.
No it was not superseded. It measures two different issues. At least read the damn polls and what they ask before you equate them as one and the same.

No these idiots have not convinced any of us we should not take our shots. Think about it. You have a bunch of bafoons blocking traffic, urinating on military documents, defecating on Parliament hill, invading shelters for the homeless and pushing in front of them and hurting them to demand they be fed first, entering malls without masks and deliberately walking up to people unmasked, blasting their truck horns every night to prevent people from sleeping, harassing police, and you think that has convinced people not to take shots? You think blocking the borders to not allow trucks to come back and forth with vital services convinced people not to take shots? You think harassing and preventing senior care home workers and medical support staff from getting to their jobs endangering people has convinced anyone of anything?

What world do you live in where people have tantrums and show disrespect for anything other than their own needs and you think that convinces people that what such people do makes sense?

You project. Also since you want to talk abut aged polls, obviously if you poll people the results change as each week passes from the date of the original event being polled. The longer it goes on and the more futile it becomes the more the poll will change.

Get it clear, many Canadians like many people around the world are upset about the conflicting mesasages and are angry about a lot of things but not all of them or a majority of them question why we need shots. Read the damn polls. People are angry at many things and Covid 19 becomes a lightening rod for people like you to excuse tantrums and think tantrums establish credible positions. You appeal to stupidity and mob rule.

They've achieved some relaxation of rules, but obviously, if they achieved what they wanted, they'd go home.....so they're still there!

good luck getting them out! 😂

and good luck getting food and necessities without them.

No it was not superseded. It measures two different issues. At least read the damn polls and what they ask before you equate them as one and the same.

No these idiots have not convinced any of us we should not take our shots. Think about it. You have a bunch of bafoons blocking traffic, urinating on military documents, defecating on Parliament hill, invading shelters for the homeless and pushing in front of them and hurting them to demand they be fed first, entering malls without masks and deliberately walking up to people unmasked, blasting their truck horns every night to prevent people from sleeping, harassing police, and you think that has convinced people not to take shots? You think blocking the borders to not allow trucks to come back and forth with vital services convinced people not to take shots? You think harassing and preventing senior care home workers and medical support staff from getting to their jobs endangering people has convinced anyone of anything?

What world do you live in where people have tantrums and show disrespect for anything other than their own needs and you think that convinces people that what such people do makes sense?

You project. Also since you want to talk abut aged polls, obviously if you poll people the results change as each week passes from the date of the original event being polled. The longer it goes on and the more futile it becomes the more the poll will change.

Get it clear, many Canadians like many people around the world are upset about the conflicting mesasages and are angry about a lot of things but not all of them or a majority of them question why we need shots. Read the damn polls. People are angry at many things and Covid 19 becomes a lightening rod for people like you to excuse tantrums and think tantrums establish credible positions. You appeal to stupidity and mob rule.
You’re really angry. I recommend Pilates

Nobody was listening. Now they are.

I sympathize with his situation. His wife had a son that he thought his. But killing the baby was wrong.

Just wait until the shelves are empty and ask again.
You think this is:
a) a problem in Canada?
b) solely because the truckers have to be immunized?
c) the ****ing lame-assed convoy is blocking the busiest link to Canada, presently the 90% of truckers who are immunized and working?

This news does not surprise me! A poster recently thought the support was somewhere near 10% but came back rather quickly with a follow up comment saying that was incorrect and it had recently increased to 30%. Now, this info.

Regarding this from the Ipsos link:
"In fact, one in four (24%) agree (6% strongly/18% somewhat) that they’d consider joining the truck protest if a small fringe group had not raised Nazi flags and shown their intolerance and racism, rising to 38% of Conservative voters and 39% of those aged 18-34."
I've seen many interviews with these truckers now and most think those actions were a done by "plants" intended to make them look bad early on. They said they weren't happening or seen in the thick of the action because the truckers would have recognized it wasn't one of their own. So, that's interesting and potentially disgusting if these truckers in the protest are right about that.

The problem Trudeau has is he's on the wrong side of this. There is a very easy solution to this and that is to simply remove the mandate which was outdated before it even began. Even if he decided to put it in place late last year, he could have regrouped prior to the date (he chose) to implement it. If he was "following the science", that's exactly what he would have done. It's a ludicrous requirement and the timing of it was even more ludicrous. But now, he's dug his heels in and let it turn into a battle of the wills - a battle he's on the wrong side of and this dramatic change in polling well demonstrates that. He's lost all credibility, has hidden, has not talked to the protestors, has said entirely stupid and inaccurate things about them - frankly, just one mistake after another and what a mess he has now.

I think Canada will be a different country after this, especially if Trudeau intends to end this with an even more heavy-handed, big government authoritarian approach. The harmony/agreement the Canadian citizens felt they had will be very hard, if not impossible, to restore. This has turned into an enormous "situation" and will not be easily swept under the rug or forgotten.

While Trudeau and others may disagree with the tactics of the group, writing letters or conducting a protest that wouldn't disrupt anything would also have had little or no impact. If one looks back over history, effective (peaceful - and man have these people been peaceful!) protests always tend to disrupt regular life.

Trudeau's really on the wrong side of this because his initiating action was just a terrible and wrong decision. The impact on his country and on the world is and will be significant. Regardless of what Trudeau does now, he lost and the truckers won - in a huge way.
I live in Ottawa.

I have seen the protest first-hand.

Your conclusions are nothing short of delusional. As much as you want it to be the case, the truckers have looooooooooog worn out their welcome.

Back
Top Bottom