• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Indiana blocks world’s top sex research center from state funds: ‘a scary moment for academic freedom’

They can do all the experiments they want to..................but not expect people who don't want or need that to pay for it. They have no viable product that the public wants or needs and like Planned Parenthood have their hand out to taxpayers. It's like me saying we need to explore why doves are monogamous and ask the government to pay me millions. Nice trick. Or maybe saying we need to PLAN parenthood by giving people abortions and then wanting the government to pay me.
We all benefit from increasing knowledge of humanity and our relationships. Your lack of understanding broadcasts just how uninformed you really are.

BTW, An abortion is much cheaper than the state forcing a woman to carry a fetus to term and raising a child she cannot afford or doesn't want.

The Kinsey Institute did just fine for 69 years without being attached to the government teat.
You should read more and speak less.

A man has a penis and a women has a vagina.

I just saved the state millions with this research.
Run. Run. Pass. Kick.
I just saved the state of Alabama $11,700,000 a year.

Oh, and when you throw the ball three things can happen and two of them are bad.
That ought to cover any bonuses.

The Kinsey Institute did just fine for 69 years without being attached to the government teat.

Government that dictates what research it will and won't support based on politics and lies is dangerously totalitarian.

A man has a penis and a women has a vagina.

I just saved the state millions with this research.

And if you pleasure yourself with them, you will go blind.

Sounds like some no name Republicans want some national faux coverage. That's what bigoted bullshit legislation usually boils down to with these types.
I came to this thread to post this, but I see it's been taken care of.

And if you pleasure yourself with them, you will go blind.
We need to cough up millions to have a group of researchers let us all know about the joys of self-pleasure?

Interesting
The constitutions of many countries grant a separate right to free learning, teaching, and research. In the United States, the Supreme Court has consistently ruled that academic freedom is a constitutional right under the First Amendment, which states that “Congress shall make no law … abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press.” In 1957, the court summarized the “four essential freedoms” that constitute academic freedom for a university. Academic freedom, the court said, means that an institution can “determine for itself on academic grounds who may teach, what may be taught, how it should be taught, and who may be admitted to study.
https://www.ala.org/advocacy/intfre...f many countries,Congress shall make no law ….

So that's why they introduced (from the OP)
the state legislature last week advanced a bill that hands university board of trustees the power to evaluate tenure appointments every five years for “criteria related to free inquiry, free expression, and intellectual diversity” – effectively erasing the point of tenure.
and are applying financial pressure.
I could be wrong.

"The future of the Kinsey Institute, the world’s premier sex research center, is in limbo. Last April, lawmakers in Indiana’s Republican-dominated state legislature voted to block the Kinsey Institute from receiving any state funds through Indiana University (IU), which houses the institute. ...The outcome of the skirmish over the Kinsey Institute and Indiana University will signal whether conservative lawmakers can dictate the bounds of academic research into human sexuality, at a time when far-right politicians are rushing to exert unprecedented control over what is taught in schools and universities around the country.

The Kinsey Institute’s research into sex and sexuality has ignited controversy for decades, but this latest battle places it at the white-hot center of a national debate over schools, sexuality, and gender. Nationwide, hundreds of bills have been introduced in recent years aiming to ban certain topics from K-12 schools and universities. Since last year, instruction on issues relating to sex and gender has topped the rightwing’s target list. But the primary goal of Kinsey Institute, unlike many of the targets of those bills, is research. Its scholars investigate issues like sexual assault, disability and sexual health, and the history of human sexuality.

...An entirely different threat to Kinsey Institute researchers, and the rest of the university’s faculty, is on the horizon: the state legislature last week advanced a bill that hands university board of trustees the power to evaluate tenure appointments every five years for “criteria related to free inquiry, free expression, and intellectual diversity” – effectively erasing the point of tenure.

Indiana isn’t alone – in 2023, at least six states introduced nine bills to undermine tenure, according to the American Association of University Professors. Tenure has long been believed to be essential to academic freedom, since it allows higher-education faculty to pursue potentially controversial work without fear of repercussions."

Link

The Republicans' use of government to curtail or eliminate academic freedom is growing and threatens the pursuit of knowledge that improves people's lives.

More cancel culture from the Right.

NOICE!

Luce,
Part of the problem.

"The future of the Kinsey Institute, the world’s premier sex research center, is in limbo. Last April, lawmakers in Indiana’s Republican-dominated state legislature voted to block the Kinsey Institute from receiving any state funds through Indiana University (IU), which houses the institute. ...The outcome of the skirmish over the Kinsey Institute and Indiana University will signal whether conservative lawmakers can dictate the bounds of academic research into human sexuality, at a time when far-right politicians are rushing to exert unprecedented control over what is taught in schools and universities around the country.

The Kinsey Institute’s research into sex and sexuality has ignited controversy for decades, but this latest battle places it at the white-hot center of a national debate over schools, sexuality, and gender. Nationwide, hundreds of bills have been introduced in recent years aiming to ban certain topics from K-12 schools and universities. Since last year, instruction on issues relating to sex and gender has topped the rightwing’s target list. But the primary goal of Kinsey Institute, unlike many of the targets of those bills, is research. Its scholars investigate issues like sexual assault, disability and sexual health, and the history of human sexuality.

...An entirely different threat to Kinsey Institute researchers, and the rest of the university’s faculty, is on the horizon: the state legislature last week advanced a bill that hands university board of trustees the power to evaluate tenure appointments every five years for “criteria related to free inquiry, free expression, and intellectual diversity” – effectively erasing the point of tenure.

Indiana isn’t alone – in 2023, at least six states introduced nine bills to undermine tenure, according to the American Association of University Professors. Tenure has long been believed to be essential to academic freedom, since it allows higher-education faculty to pursue potentially controversial work without fear of repercussions."

Link

The Republicans' use of government to curtail or eliminate academic freedom is growing and threatens the pursuit of knowledge that improves people's lives.
No this isn't restricting or curtailing or eliminating academic freedom of whatsoever. It's just not funding it. If it needs to steal from the population in order to stay afloat it shouldn't be.

Study whatever you want you just don't expect the tax payer to find it.

If you want to pursue knowledge go ahead. The taxpayer is not standing in your way. We're just not paying you for it. If this was worthwhile to the taxpayer they would. There's nothing at all stopping these people from just directly funding it.

The idea that academics is entitled to the labor of others is communism.

No this isn't restricting or curtailing or eliminating academic freedom of whatsoever. It's just not funding it. If it needs to steal from the population in order to stay afloat it shouldn't be.

Study whatever you want you just don't expect the tax payer to find it.

If you want to pursue knowledge go ahead. The taxpayer is not standing in your way. We're just not paying you for it. If this was worthwhile to the taxpayer they would. There's nothing at all stopping these people from just directly funding it.

The idea that academics is entitled to the labor of others is communism.
A.) Nobody is stealing anything with approved funding via taxpayer dollars.

B.) You dont know the definition of communism because this certainty isn't it, regardless of your partisan outrage.

A.) Nobody is stealing anything with approved funding via taxpayer dollars.
Sorry I disagree taxation is theft. They have to steal your wealth because they have no capacity to make it for themselves.

Never changing my mind on that one so you can use all the words you want it's still theft.
B.) You dont know the definition of communism because this certainty isn't it, regardless of your partisan outrage.
Either way academic pursuits can happen without government funding why don't you help support them?

Sorry I disagree taxation is theft. They have to steal your wealth because they have no capacity to make it for themselves.

Never changing my mind on that one so you can use all the words you want it's still theft.

Either way academic pursuits can happen without government funding why don't you help support them?
The idea that taxation is theft is libertarian nonsense.

Well imagine that sort of libertarian so. Believing that the government just owns your wealth is communist nonsense.
Your simplistic understanding of how government and society function is highly amusing to those who do understand. You should be more interested in how the taxes are levied and are spent than to simply claim that all taxes are theft.

How exactly do you plan to pay for the functions of government if there are no taxes; via a bake sale?

For tens of thousands of years, how in the world did humanity survive without us paying a group named Kinsey to explore why men can't have babies?

Do we also need to pay some groups to study why girls wear make-up? Could I also demand millions to study why women sit down when they go to the bathroom?
Yeah, no need to study impotence, vaginal dryness, masturbation, premature ejaculation and other aspects of a shared human experience that might cause depression or great joy.

The government picking and choosing who it will fund based on political considerations is the stuff of dictatorships.
They should choose based on... religious considerations? sports team preferences?

Allocating funds based on political considerations is what governments do. That's how they make decisions.

Your simplistic understanding of how government and society function is highly amusing to those who do understand.
The way you are manipulated to think that you serve the government is just sad. And I'm not going to change my view because someone who is manipulated thinks I should.
You should be more interested in how the taxes are levied and are spent than to simply claim that all taxes are theft.
They're levied incorrectly and they're spent foolishly. The government is a fast and bureaucratic waste. Perhaps you should be more interested in that.

Not a penny should go to any academic crap how much money they robbed from people with tuition. People in hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt getting a degree they can't use.

That is a profound waste of taxpayer money.
How exactly do you plan to pay for the functions of government if there are no taxes; via a bake sale?
99% of the functions of the government should stop. The government is a servant not some sort of Charity and it should never be used that way.

They should choose based on... religious considerations? sports team preferences?

Allocating funds based on political considerations is what governments do. That's how they make decisions.
That partisanship is the problem, so stop defending it.

Hey - yall realize "Not giving someone money for X" is not the same as "banning X", right?

The government doesn't pay me to post here, for example. That doesn't mean I'm engaging in a banned activity by doing so.

Back
Top Bottom