• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

In Sweeping New Law, Indonesia Outlaws Sex Outside of Marriage

MrNiceGuy

Symbiotic Pnemonic
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
Indonesia, the world’s third-largest democracy, cleared a sweeping overhaul of its criminal code on Tuesday, outlawing sex outside of marriage, defamation of the president and sharply expanding its laws against blasphemy.

The new rules, which also apply to foreigners in the country, have drawn criticism from human rights activists, businesspeople and students who warned of the risks posed to the L.G.B.T. community and religious minorities. Opponents also said that the rules threatened the global reputation that Indonesia, which has the world’s largest Muslim population, has built as a tolerant, widely secular nation.

It's Indonesia's version of a Trust and Safety Council, and efforts to combat misinformation. Blasphemy is misinformation and hate speech against a religion. Defamation of the President is sedition. And, sex outside of marriage increases Covid risks, so whomever would do that really hates gramma and grampa.

Lou' already created this thread aboiut an hour ago.

Is this legislation also a fantasy for conservative Christians in the US? Religious conservatives need to keep their beliefs out of the lives of others who have equal religious and secualr rights of their own.

Tomorrow morning, 36759 Indonesians will be going to jail.
This sounds like a Trumpist fantasy, MAGAites will laughably still claim to be small government and pro-freedom, despite their obvious hypocrisy.

Indonesia's Parliament on Tuesday voted to revise the country's penal code to criminalize all sex outside of marriage and to prohibit insulting the president, vice president and state institutions or ideology.

Indonesia, which is the world's largest Muslim-majority country, also expanded existing blasphemy laws and maintained a five-year prison sentence for people who deviate from the nation's recognized religions of Islam, Protestantism, Buddhism, Hinduism and Confucianism, the Associated Press reported.

Parliament maintained the part of the code criminalizing abortions but added exceptions to save a mother's life and for rape if the fetus is at less than 12 weeks of gestation.

Additionally, the revised code states that citizens can face up to 10 years in prison for being associated with Marxist-Leninist organizations and up to four years behind bars for spreading communism.

Lou' already created this thread aboiut an hour ago.

Is this legislation also a fantasy for conservative Christians in the US? Religious conservatives need to keep their beliefs out of the lives of others who have equal religious and secualr rights of their own.
Possibly some extreme ones. I haven't heard anyone in the US suggesting sex outside of marriage should be illegal. But, as a COVID prevention measure, it would be ideal.

It's Indonesia's version of a Trust and Safety Council, and efforts to combat misinformation. Blasphemy is misinformation and hate speech against a religion. Defamation of the President is sedition. And, sex outside of marriage increases Covid risks, so whomever would do that really hates gramma and grampa.

Your admiration for them is palpable.

Your admiration for them is palpable.
You should understand that different cultures have different ways of life. Stop judging them based on the white, western, colonialist and systemically oppressive racism.

Possibly some extreme ones. I haven't heard anyone in the US suggesting sex outside of marriage should be illegal. But, as a COVID prevention measure, it would be ideal.
How exactly do you plan to enfioce that couples or family members in the same house must stay 6' apart? I'm not sure that social distancing was ever legally enforceable.

I've been to Bali a few times.

I can tell you, most of the people there partying and having sex were not married.

Nice try though...

What a global embarrassment.

You should understand that different cultures have different ways of life. Stop judging them based on the white, western, colonialist and systemically oppressive racism.

Oh, I recognize what's happening there. The same thing you want right here.

LOL Good luck with that.

Of course these laws will be selectively enforced with foreigners just getting off getting off by paying a large fine. My thinking is Indonesia doesn't want to end up as just another Asian sex tourist hot spot like Thailand, Vietnam or the Philippines. They have higher aspirations.

Of course these laws will be selectively enforced with foreigners just getting off getting off by paying a large fine. My thinking is Indonesia doesn't want to end up as just another Asian sex tourist hot spot like Thailand, Vietnam or the Philippines. They have higher aspirations.
Indonesia is slowly but surely turning into a fundie Islam shithole.

Oh, I recognize what's happening there. The same thing you want right here.
Yes, I would like the state recognizing that unrestrained sexuality is bad for all of society and encouraging families is. what’s important.

I have more of a right to an ordered society then you have to fornicate

Yes, I would like the state recognizing that unrestrained sexuality is bad for all of society and encouraging families is. what’s important.

I have more of a right to an ordered society then you have to fornicate
No you don't. Not by any valid moral argument or stretch of the iron age magical imagination do you have that right.

Nah, I'll go ahead and judge that their law is stupid. What is actually oppressive racism is the belief that all nonwhite people are noble savages who are so fragile that they can't take criticism.

I see another lesson about not making a law that won't be followed and cannot be effectively enforced is happening.

Indonesia is not safe, nor is any country with sharia provisions encoded into law.
Indonesia is safer then every single English speaking country in terms of violent crime

Back
Top Bottom