• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Imagine you could go back to three moments in history, when would you go?

Renae

Banned
Suspended
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Imagine, being able to go back in time and observe 3 events, Say no more than 18 months at a time. You couldn't CHANGE history, but you could record it, maybe take some things back with you to today.

When would go?

Back to a year before the asteroid took out the Dinosaurs, grab some eggs for your own Jurassic Park and one hell of a firework video?

Maybe View Krakatoa from a safe distance?

Prove (or disprove) the existence of Jesus?

Interview the founding fathers and find out what they really meant by the 2nd Amendment?

When and where would you love to see?

Me, the dinosaurs, Jesus and I'm torn between the entirety of 1776 and the battle of the Alamo.

How would you do this? Who cares, maybe you do a favor for the Doctor and he, sorry she gives you three free trips to the past. Maybe you just figure out a way with a microwave and some homemade plutonium, the point is, forget the how so much and just focus on the "If you could".

Imagine, being able to go back in time and observe 3 events, Say no more than 18 months at a time. You couldn't CHANGE history, but you could record it, maybe take some things back with you to today.

When would go?

Back to a year before the asteroid took out the Dinosaurs, grab some eggs for your own Jurassic Park and one hell of a firework video?

Interview the founding fathers and find out what they really meant by the 2nd Amendment?

Me, the dinosaurs, Jesus and I'm torn between the entirety of 1776 and the battle of the Alamo.

How would you do this? Who cares, maybe you do a favor for the Doctor and he, sorry she gives you three free trips to the past. Maybe you just figure out a way with a microwave and some homemade plutonium, the point is, forget the how so much and just focus on the "If you could".

1. Be there when the "Roswell Incident" occurred. See what actually happened and prove or disprove the "alien crash" conspiracy.

2. Yep, the period from 17 month's before Christ rose to one month after so I could see the whole shebang for myself.

3. Observe the period of the Constitutional Convention and Ratification debates so I understood the exact meaning of ALL the Amendments in the Bill of Rights.

Last edited:

When would go?

We are the most coddled easy life people who have ever lived....I am much too lazy for your idea....to go back to a time where so much work was required.

Texas School Book Depository, November 22, 1963.

8 November 1923, Munich

120 million years ago. See some Sauropods.

1. Go back to December 2001 and say no to my future ex-wife when she asked me out...

2. Go back to India to learn about the arts of Tantric Sex...

3. Go back to 1993 and not break up with my high school Captain the the cheerleaders girl friend (dated for six years) and live a full life practicing the previous answer...

When would go?

Good question.

For me it'd have to be unresolved matters of history. Something such as:

-Where exactly Amelia Earhart crash landed
-Where exactly Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 came to rest

OK enough with air crash mysteries :mrgreen: My serious answers are:

-The meeting where President Truman decided, based on the information given, to use nuclear weapons for the first (and so far only) time in the history of warfare.
-The conversation between President Jefferson's ambassador, who was sent to try to buy New Orleans from France for $10 million, and the French counteroffer of the entire Louisiana Purchase for just $15 million.
-The Spanish transition to democracy, which would not have been possible without the leadership of King Carlos and his reluctance to take absolute power.

Good question.

For me it'd have to be unresolved matters of history. Something such as:

-Where exactly Amelia Earhart crash landed
-Where exactly Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 came to rest

OK enough with air crash mysteries :mrgreen: My serious answers are:

-The meeting where President Truman decided, based on the information given, to use nuclear weapons for the first (and so far only) time in the history of warfare.
-The conversation between President Jefferson's ambassador, who was sent to try to buy New Orleans from France for $10 million, and the French counteroffer of the entire Louisiana Purchase for just $15 million.
-The Spanish transition to democracy, which would not have been possible without the leadership of King Carlos and his reluctance to take absolute power.

The greatest swindle in history? Or the greatest bargain ever? I read somewhere, can't remember that Jefferson had some dirt on the French that made the deal happen.

1) Normandy 6JUN44, as a bullet-proof observer
2) Theater patron for “Our American Cousin” April, 1865, Ford’s Theater
3) Survivor April 15, 1912

1. Be there when the "Roswell Incident" occurred. See what actually happened and prove or disprove the "alien crash" conspiracy.

2. Yep, the period from 17 month's before Christ rose to one month after so I could see the whole shebang for myself.

3. Observe the period of the Constitutional Convention and Ratification debates so I understood the exact meaning of ALL the Amendments in the Bill of Rights.

Number three is particularly good: I'd go back and be a reporter.

One is good too; I've read all the books myself.

When would go?

The crucifixion of Christ would be number one I think.

The American Revolution and Rome during the height of the empire.

1. Rolling Thunder Revue when Bob Dylan played Isis as a finale. i think that it was this night :

image.jpg

2. visit some ancient civilization that has been lost to time and history, and hopefully not get sick, killed, or captured during the visit.

3. i wouldn't mind visiting my folks in the early 80s and stopping in to say hi. that breaks the rules, but the whole thing is outlandish anyway. if i went back to 1982, i'd be dead in about half a second, because the earth would be countless millions of miles away. what a rude awakening that would be. anyway, i don't think that time travel is possible; at least not for humans.

1. Rolling Thunder Revue when Bob Dylan played Isis as a finale. i think that it was this night :

View attachment 67239374

2. visit some ancient civilization that has been lost to time and history, and hopefully not get sick, killed, or captured during the visit.

3. i wouldn't mind visiting my folks in the early 80s and stopping in to say hi. that breaks the rules, but the whole thing is outlandish anyway. if i went back to 1982, i'd be dead in about half a second, because the earth would be countless millions of miles away. what a rude awakening that would be. anyway, i don't think that time travel is possible; at least not for humans.

It's meant as a what if, besides if the Doctor gave you a ride in the Tardis you'd be fine :p

1st, I would love to go back to the time that Jesus was on the earth...

2nd, to the time my maternal grandparents fell in love...

3rd, to the time my parents fell in love...

Cool thread idea.

I have four choices to choose from but cannot decide how to get them down to just three as of yet. The choices would be:

1) c.1355 BCE to observe the last years of the reign the of the pharaoh Akhenaten and the collapse of the monotheistic cult of Aten. I would also meet Queen Nefertiti, the young Tutankhamen and perhaps the doomed bride to be of Tutankhamen - the tragic Ankhesenamun. I would also witness the schemes and machinations of the villan General Aye who brought down Akhenaten's reign in ruin.

2) c. 1177 BCE to watch the political, military and migratory upheavals which ended the great Bronze Age civilizations of Mediterranean Basin and to discover whether there was a lost Luwian Empire lying between the Hittiles of Anatolia and the Achaeans of modern-day Greece.

3) 1267 CE to meet and talk to the great thinker and proto-scientist Roger Bacon who was far ahead of his times in terms of his approach to and understanding of Natural Philosophy (AKA Science).

4) 1432-1433 CE to meet, speak to and to follow along on the seventh great voyage of Admiral Zheng He and the Imperial Chinese fleet as it traveled through South Asia, the southern Middle East and on to Africa and to learn the reasoning of why the Chinese dismantled the fleet and ended international trade and exploration voyages.

If push comes to shove I think I would go with numbers 2), 3), and 4) but it would be so hard to pass up a visit to the court of Akhenaten.

Cheers.
Evilroddy.

North & South America in 1491

Europe when Cro-Magnon meets Neanderthal

6 million years ago when the first Biped came down from walking up high on tree branches to walking on land.

I can see all of three inches in front of my face without my glasses, so I would kind of be afraid to go anywhere before they had spectacles.

I can see all of three inches in front of my face without my glasses, so I would kind of be afraid to go anywhere before they had spectacles.

Since this is a time machine themed thread, assume you can take you spectacles along for the ride.

1) Big Bang..see how this thing really got started...2) Fly on the wall at the The Council of Nicea...understand what really took place at that behind closed doors meeting...3) Helsinki/2018...finally get some transparency on what Trump and Putin actually talked about in that meeting..

I would:

1. Explore the Minoan world in the Agean, and learn who they truly were so I could decipher Linnear A.

2. Make my way to the Great library of Alexandria so I could copy as many of the lost books of the ancients as I could before the religious nuts burned them down

3. Explore Carthage and find out what the Carthaginians were really like before the Romans reduced their city and culture into ashes and salt.

Tough.

1. Yalta Conference - To see what was really talked about behind closed doors.

2. Stroll the streets of Rome during the time of Augustus and the Pax Romana.

3. See a session of the Ancient Athenian Assembly in action over an important matter such as declaring war.

Dunno why those sprung to mind, I'm an Ancient History nerd but also love WWI to present day as well.

For some reason a lot of stuff in-between loses me a bit and I don't know why, never had an affinity for Medieval History or the Victorian Era or anything.

But Japanese history is rather fascinating over the course of the Tokugawa Shogunate up to the Meiji Restoration and the seedlings of Japans eventual conflict with the United States and other powers.

Last edited:
Tough.

1. Yalta Conference - To see what was really talked about behind closed doors.

2. Stroll the streets of Rome during the time of Augustus and the Pax Romana.

3. See a session of the Ancient Athenian Assembly in action over an important matter such as declaring war.

Dunno why those sprung to mind, I'm an Ancient History nerd but also love WWI to present day as well.

For some reason a lot of stuff in-between loses me a bit and I don't know why, never had an affinity for Medieval History or the Victorian Era or anything.

But Japanese history is rather fascinating over the course of the Tokugawa Shogunate up to the Meiji Restoration and the seedlings of Japans eventual conflict with the United States and other powers.

Yeah choosing only 3 points in history isnt easy for me, there's so many timelines Im very interested in exploring.

If I was given 3 additional time periods, Id also go to:

1. Try to figure out what happened at the Bronze Age Collapse, perhaps uncover the mystery of the Sea People and who they really were.

2. Go to the beginnings of the Cambrian Explosion- though this would be boring because Im not a biologist.

3. Switch over to South America and explore the lost city of Teotihuacan.

1. Go the Galilee at the time Jesus spoke to Peter...
Follow him and see for myself if the Biblical BS written about him is true

2. Independence Hall (or whatever it was called in 1776) 4th July 1776.
Walk in with a loaded AK-47 and execute every single one of those treasonous M***** - ******S
Go to George Washington's house, kick the door in and execute that traitor in front of his family with my AK-47

3. 22nd June, 1986, Mexico City, Mexico, Aztec Stadium
Taking the guise of the referee...I'd walk on to the pitch with the two teams...when that cheating fat Argentine B****** hand balls the ball into the goal, I'd immediately rule it out and red card him for cheating.
England beat Argentina...beat Belgium in the semi-final and then take W. Germany to penalties in the final....where they lose....4-2

Edit, the gun I take to 1776 would not be an AK-47 but rather the modernized AKM.

Go back and kill Hitler, Stalin and Mao while they are young.

Go back to the 1950's or whatever time period and record all the conversations of Ayn Rand, Milton Friedman, Ludwig Von Mises, Hayek, Murray Rothbard, Thomas Sowel conversing with one another. Or debating leftists. I would find it utterly fascinating and interesting.

I like the OP's suggestion of meeting the Founding Fathers. I would love to go back in time and meet all of them as they were creating the Constitution.

Go back in time during Marcus Aurelius's reign as emperor to see how he handled being emperor and the amazing things he thought on life.

Back
Top Bottom