• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

If you were in Manhattan on New Year's Eve, would you go to Times Sq. for the "ball drop?"

If you were in Manhattan on New Year's Eve, would you go to Times Square for the "ball drop?&qu

• Total voters
Re: If you were in Manhattan on New Year's Eve, would you go to Times Sq. for the "ball drop?"

Ok, so this has baffled me for a long time. Boys can use a bottle or can, what are girls supposed to do? Do they wear diapers during the event?

My answer to the question is HELL NO, no way would you find me in Times Square herded like cattle, or NYC.

I have no idea. Sitting inside a fence in a diaper sounds like a nightmare, though.

Re: If you were in Manhattan on New Year's Eve, would you go to Times Sq. for the "ball drop?"

I have no idea. Sitting inside a fence in a diaper sounds like a nightmare, though.

and people all around you.

Been there, done that. As a native NYer I've done it twice, and well before the increased security. I find nothing appealing about the way it is now.

Been there, done that. As a native NYer I've done it twice, and well before the increased security. I find nothing appealing about the way it is now.

Never really understood the desire to pack into Times Square to watch the ball drop. Especially since all the security rules were put in effect, and the need to come equipped with a diaper. And the weather is rarely wonderful.

I've always liked New Year's Day much more.

If you were in Manhattan on New Year's Eve, would you go to Times Square for the "ball drop?"
  • Yes, I'd go.
  • No, I wouldn't go.

In the late '70s and '80s I went to Times Square four times. It was fun the first and third times I went, it was for a New Year's party hosted in a Time Sq. office building that had a view of the ball. My second trip to the Sq. was the first time I stood on the street with the crowd and hollered and partied in the cold. It was a blast, but it was "way back then" when street parties were fun and largely libertine affairs.

On my last trip to the Sq. for New Years, my pals and I again were outside on the street. It wasn't nearly as much fun as the first time; indeed it felt like a "been there, don't that, why the hell am I here again" thing...Frankly, I didn't want to go to Times Sq. in the first place, but my friend's date whined that she'd never been, so we agreed to be there at midnight so she could "put the feather in her cap." I was so "over it" that I was just glad that it was cold outside so that at least the champagne stayed chilled.

As I said above, that as "back in the day" when the event wasn't so security conscious as it now. To wit...no alcohol, no backpacks yet you have to take food, water and snacks, no restrooms, you stand in "fence pens" that you can't leave once you enter, etc., etc., etc. Given all the security for the event, rather than being a massive party in the street like it used to be, it's now basically going to Times Sq. and standing the cold for 12 hours without going to the restroom yet having had to carry in at least water, and all so you can yell at midnight and then leave, making a mad dash to the nearest john only to find that "a thousand" other people are in line there ahead of you. Other folks can do that, and more power to them if they do, but I'm not going to. If the Square party were the wild and crazy affair it used to be, sure I'd go one more time, "for old times sake," but it's not like that and likely never again will be, so no more Times Square for me.

Happy New Year to you all!

Me too, went with my sisters 'back in the day' when everyone was just standing anywhere, no police barriers. It was a real party then, lots of fun. We even happened to meet up with a few guys we knew from school. Imagine being in a crowd like that and just running into friends? The trip home was the best part. All of us on a Metro North filled with drunken people, some asleep slumped in their seats and some still singing and dancing in the aisle of the train.

I definitely wouldn't go now.

Back
Top Bottom