• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

If Swedish citizens can self regulate, why cannot US citizens?

No, just realizing they may not have had the best approach.

Only history gets to judge that. I'm betting history will show they used the right approach.

Yes I know, Wikipedia likes to write history according to a certain agenda.

Since "obesity" is one of the "high risk" factors, your starting point would appear to be to "quarantine" approximately 39.8% of adults aged 20 and over (that includes the 7.6% who are "severely obese"). That would mean that, since those "quarantine camps" do not include any production facilities, the US unemployment rate would be AT LEAST 39.8%. That would mean that the American work force wouldn't be sufficient to maintain the US economy (and that includes feeding and caring for those in the "quarantine camps") UNLESS the remaining 60.2% of all Americans were REQUIRED to work where, when, and how they were directed to by "The Gummint".

Some how that doesn't appear to be a very attractive type of society to me, although, I suspect that the owners of the means of production wouldn't be all that upset (or even affected by) it. Mind you, it might also require a "slight" re-interpretation of the 13[sup]th[/sup] Amendment in order to implement your proposal WITHOUT causing mass starvation and/or economic disaster.

Since when is obesity automatically a high risk factor for being hospitalized due to Covid infection? Obesity may be a contributing factor to someone being hospitalized due to Covid infection. Is every current football player at high risk of hospitalization due to Covid?:roll: Is every current baseball player, it seems, at high risk of hospitalization due to Covid infection?:roll: I played football in high school and I was 5'10" and weighed around 200 pounds. I weigh about 180 pounds, now, and one of my doctors has actually suggested I lose weight...That I was obese. I think people discount that muscle weighs more than fat...

On the flip side, I know some men and women who weigh about 130 pounds and are risks to hospitalization due to Covid infection because they are cancerous and have taken chemotherapy, for example, which weakens their immune systems...The opposite of obese...Still very susceptible to hospitalization due to Covid infection.

If someone is 'out of shape' and obese, their chances of being hospitalized due to Covid infection are higher.

I'm not sure if it was you who previously complained about the 'non-sustainability' of my plan of reverse quarantining those most at risk to Covid but extreme social distancing isn't sustainable. Another poster seems to constantly point out to me that the Covid virus dies out after 2 weeks and that would be good If extreme social distancing were sustainable. Sooner or later, that lockdown will be lifted and...BAM...boo coo more hospitalizations and more deaths.

In fact, I read somewhere on the Internet where all but 7 states in the US were on lockdown because of Covid. That would mean 86% of US states are on lockdown now. Is that sustainable???

Is extreme social distancing to save lives even theoretically plausible? No...Not enough tests. Those infected who are asymptomatic or have slight symptoms can be lumped with those highly susceptible to Covid and extreme social distancing isn't sustainable.

All (and I mean all) social distancing of any kind does is attempt to preserve hospital resources.

Last edited:
87,712 is WAY short of how many Americans would be dead had we let it spread and infect Americans faster. it's more like 140,000 as of today.

you okay with 140,000 dead Americans as of today?

Third time you've refused to answer. How many Americans are you willing to sentence to die in order to feel safe to crawl out from under your bed?

Warm and fuzzy emotional things are not really my cup of tea, thanks. I like the unpleasant and brutal truth supported by cold rational analysis. :mrgreen:

Consider Stockman's numbers here, compiled at end of April. The Three Nations of Covid and a Windbag Named Fauci - LewRockwell

What do you think? What has shelter in place and a closed down society really provided from the public health perspective?

So, full disclosure, bud, while doing my best to keep an open mind, I do have standards, in terms of publications I will take seriously, based on how they stand up to bias and fact checking. I hadn't heard of Lew Rockwell yet, so I looked them up. Here's what I found:

Lew Rockwell - Media Bias/Fact Check

I'm more than happy to continue this discussion with you (seriously, while I don't always agree with you, I appreciate the fact that you aren't of the slug it out variety, you always are a good guy to chat with), but do you have any other sources you'd like me to consider, that don't come categorized with "Extreme Right, Propaganda, Conspiracy, Pseudoscience"? It's a personal thing...I don't like rewarding these guys with my clicks, as I think they do far more harm than good.

Nah, sometimes you don’t have to wait for history. They realize they made a mistake and are looking at course correction.

Sweden sees jump in coronavirus deaths with less restrictive guidelines under scrutiny | Fox News

Seems the swedes are finding novel ways to convince people not to congregate
Swedish city covers park in chicken poo to stop covidiots from partying
Swedish city covers park in chicken poo to stop covidiots from partying - National | Globalnews.ca

Neither can I. We don't have to.

But knowing how bureaucracies protect their turf, I've been forewarned.

Don't I know this. I've been arguing about the positives of social distancing with a poster who claims to know a lot about epidemiology.

Third time you've refused to answer. How many Americans are you willing to sentence to die in order to feel safe to crawl out from under your bed?

well, since you're willing to let 80some thousand Americans die (which would actually be 140,000-150,000 as of today, i'm going with as few as possible with a rapid response and Stay at Home orders coordinated from the Federal/Administrative branch (who gets the intelligence reports) to the states.

you know, actually being prepared, acting quickly and saving 1000s of lives. that okay with you?

and here's what we got instead...

FEB 26
“And again, when you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."
— Donald Trump

Is that real? It doesn't seem like the best course of action. Spreading feces all over public areas may have some unwelcomed side effects...I mean besides having chicken **** all over the place.

It appears to be as it is on many major news sites. The article I linked was very puny, worth the read

Is that real? It doesn't seem like the best course of action. Spreading feces all over public areas may have some unwelcomed side effects...I mean besides having chicken **** all over the place.
Good fertilizer.

well, since you're willing to let 80some thousand Americans die (which would actually be 140,000-150,000 as of today, i'm going with as few as possible with a rapid response and Stay at Home orders coordinated from the Federal/Administrative branch (who gets the intelligence reports) to the states.

you know, actually being prepared, acting quickly and saving 1000s of lives. that okay with you?

and here's what we got instead...

FEB 26
“And again, when you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."
— Donald Trump

"As few as possible" is not an answer. What's the number you feel comfortable with dying so that you can go out and get your hair cut?

"As few as possible" is not an answer. What's the number you feel comfortable with dying so that you can go out and get your hair cut?

sure it is. for example, i don't want your parents to die because of the US Government/President being slow on the uptake.

It is idiotic to call Trump supporters a "cult". A 3% death rate for people who contract the virus is small by any standard. And wrecking the economy will cost more lives in the long run..

The IFR for influenza is .1% so even you can do the arithmetic to see that 3% is 30x that. If only 10% of the US population ends up being infected that would result a million deaths. Only the Cult of Dirtbag could talk itself into accepting that number as "small by any standard." I think you people would do better just to keep quiet rather than denying being a cult then immediately proving it with idiotic comments like that.

sure it is. for example, i don't want your parents to die because of the US Government/President being slow on the uptake.

Problem with Death Cult of Dirtbag is they seem to have no qualms about doing things that will cause the deaths of theirs and somebody else's parents and grandparents.

Only history gets to judge that. I'm betting history will show they used the right approach.

Yes I know, Wikipedia likes to write history according to a certain agenda.

Right....as if you don't have an agenda.

LOL. Like you give a flying flick about my parents.

Problem with Death Cult of Dirtbag is they seem to have no qualms about doing things that will cause the deaths of theirs and somebody else's parents and grandparents.

these people think they're going to heaven. it's comical.

LOL. Like you give a flying flick about my parents.

decent humans don't want others to lose loved ones.

is that foreign to you or something?

now, i will say that there are some people so evil (Hitler, Dahmer, Timothy McVeigh, Pol Pot, etc) that i have a hard time feeling bad when they die.

decent humans don't want others to lose loved ones.

is that foreign to you or something?

now, i will say that there are some people so evil (Hitler, Dahmer, Timothy McVeigh, Pol Pot, etc) that i have a hard time feeling bad when they die.

So who's parents are you willing to let die when the economy opens back up to let you go out and get a haircut?

Back
Top Bottom