• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

If America loses, Eric Cantor wins

Sort of like when the (D)'s all voted "no" on raising the debt limit? Did you complain then?

Can't answer the question? Might be better not to post at all. Threadjacking gets SO very old.

...okay, can we stop polluting the econ section with garbage threads, please? The fact that yields on bonds have gone up has nothing to do with Eric Cantor, and everything to do with QE2 ending. Most people assumed they'd go up. One man is NOT going to hold an entire country hostage for a $15,000 portfolio (if that) when he makes $193,400 in flat salary, plus benefits.

Can't answer the question? Might be better not to post at all. Threadjacking gets SO very old.

Cantor is right now, the Dems were right then. It was a fallacious question to start with. The country wins if we can stop the spending.

...okay, can we stop polluting the econ section with garbage threads, please? The fact that yields on bonds have gone up has nothing to do with Eric Cantor, and everything to do with QE2 ending. Most people assumed they'd go up. One man is NOT going to hold an entire country hostage for a $15,000 portfolio (if that) when he makes $193,400 in flat salary, plus benefits.

Are you kidding? He has already held the Joplin MO. hostage. Republicans are ALWAYS taking hostages to get what they want. very s0-called "negotiation has been that way with pubs.

Also how much better would this country be if some of you quit judging others & their thread/opinions & actually dealt with them.
Didn't the bible/jesus say "judge not lest ye be judged?"

Also look at the bigger picture... it's not about spefcific dollar amounts that may be gained by Canter , it's about attitude.

Last edited:
Are you kidding? He has already held the Joplin MO. hostage. Republicans are ALWAYS taking hostages to get what they want. very s0-called "negotiation has been that way with pubs.

....yes, because clearly everyone wants the debt ceiling raised. This is obviously a hostage situation, with America as the unwilling victim. :roll:

Also how much better would this country be if some of you quit judging others & their thread/opinions & actually dealt with them.
Didn't the bible/jesus say "judge not lest ye be judged?"

I'm judging the connection made. This thread is a non sequitur. Just because Cantor has a sum tucked away in some mainstream ETF, doesn't mean make him Nathan Rothschild after Waterloo. I'm willing to bet that every member of the Senate committee on Energy and Natural Resources has a stake in some commodity-based fund as well. They may not even know about it. What difference does it make? It's not enough to make one man sabotage a nation.

Also look at the bigger picture... it's not about spefcific dollar amounts that may be gained by Canter , it's about attitude.

That's absolutely 100% what this thread is about. Eric Cantor isn't going to make out like a bandit either way. This fund doesn't serve to motivate him in any way. If you want to talk about attitude and not dollar amounts, perhaps you should have started a different thread in a different part of the forum?

If America Loses, Eric Cantor Wins : Delaware Liberal

Could this "conflict of interest" be true of other republicans?

Is it possible that he has a bunch of money in bonds and uses TBT as a hedge against rates going up which means prices of bonds go down. I do this as a hedge, but will make a lot more money if interest rates go down. Plus 15K is a tiny bet on anything. The article says the fund went up 3%, that would be $450 for Cantor, big deal!

This thread belongs in the partisan politics bucket not economics.

If President Obama had even one dollar invested where he would profit from America's economy crashing, you can better believe it'd be on the front page of every major news source.

If President Obama had even one dollar invested where he would profit from America's economy crashing, you can better believe it'd be on the front page of every major news source.

It is oftentimes hard on this site to talk about the reality of economics on a site like this. Saying that I will take a shot anyway. As you probably do not know, interest rates will go up when the economy does BETTER not worse. Only then will there be more demand for money. If you took a minute you would see that as the economy showed weakness in Q2 GDP today, interest rates fell to the lowest level in many months.

It is sad to have to "debate" these types of issues with folks you have such a weak grasp of our financial markets.

President Obama's Financial Portfolio

U.S. Treasury Bills
This is the Obama family's largest asset class with well over $1 million dollars invested in U.S. Treasury bills and notes. So should an investment in U.S. debt be a substantial part of your portfolio? Probably not. With rates around 0.5% there are numerous other investment options available. How about purchasing stock in a large company that has a healthy dividend? A company like AT&T with a dividend yield of 5.5% might be an option that a financial advisor would recommend, and there are many others like that. However, investing in stocks is a riskier choice and won't be suitable for everybody.

There are many reasons why the Obamas would have a large investment in treasury bills, but most of those don't apply to the ordinary American. Unless you're the leader of the United States, you probably aren't worried about finding the best investment vehicles to avoid conflicts of interest with multiple government agencies as well as tens of thousands of businesses. (For more information on bonds, read How To Compare Yields On Different Bonds.)

I RECKON BARACK WHO-SAYIN' OBAMER HAS A STAKE IN RAISIN' DAH DEBT CEILIN TO AVOID DEFAULT CUZ HE HAS LOTSA MONEYS IN GUUHHHVURNMENT PAYPURRR...

Nobody cares.

If America Loses, Eric Cantor Wins : Delaware Liberal

Could this "conflict of interest" be true of other republicans?
Interesting that Jezy's link talked about Obama "avoiding conflict of interest" in his portfolio.
It is oftentimes hard on this site to talk about the reality of economics on a site like this. Saying that I will take a shot anyway. As you probably do not know, interest rates will go up when the economy does BETTER not worse. Only then will there be more demand for money. If you took a minute you would see that as the economy showed weakness in Q2 GDP today, interest rates fell to the lowest level in many months.

It is sad to have to "debate" these types of issues with folks you have such a weak grasp of our financial markets.
My "weak grasp of financial markets has led me to being able to purchase 2 autos with cash & one house..
President Obama's Financial Portfolio

I RECKON BARACK WHO-SAYIN' OBAMER HAS A STAKE IN RAISIN' DAH DEBT CEILIN TO AVOID DEFAULT CUZ HE HAS LOTSA MONEYS IN GUUHHHVURNMENT PAYPURRR...

Nobody cares.

If nobody cares then why are you not only responding but yelling in caps? Ands yes as previously mentioned (thanks to Jeezy's help) :) Obama has the decentcy to aviod being in a conflict of interest.

Interesting that Jezy's link talked about Obama "avoiding conflict of interest" in his portfolio.

My "weak grasp of financial markets has led me to being able to purchase 2 autos with cash & one house..

If nobody cares then why are you not only responding but yelling in caps? Ands yes as previously mentioned (thanks to Jeezy's help) :) Obama has the decentcy to aviod being in a conflict of interest.

While most public officials put their money into blind trusts where they can't readily access it or control how it's invested, the Obamas prefer complete transparency. They don't invest in individual stocks that would cause conflicts of interest. Instead, they prefer government debt and diversified funds.

^helps to read the whole article. Obviously the president isn't on the board of Apple....but the leader if the leader of the free world has a position on government debt, that constitutes a conflict of interest. Shock! Awe!

And I'm typing in all caps to mock your rather harebrained argument. Cantor is short government paper. Obama is long. Cantor wants to lower the debt ceiling. Obama wants to raise it. Two sides. Same coin.

....and no one cares.

Last edited:
^ Cantor wants to lower the debt ceiling. Obama wants to raise it. Two sides. Same coin.

....and no one cares.

We need to raise it 1st & pay off ebts already incurred. Then we can go about lowering it in future.

We need to raise it 1st & pay off ebts already incurred. Then we can go about lowering it in future.

Your opinion on what "needs" to be done is irrelevant. Are you now agreeing that Obama has just as much a "conflict of interest" as Cantor? And that it really doesn't matter at all?

BentWingedAngel;1059696600. My "weak grasp of financial markets has led me to being able to purchase 2 autos with cash & one house.. ..[/QUOTE said:
I hardly consider having two cars and a house ( even if it has no mortgage) as some sign of knowing much about financial markets. Further if you do know markets as you claim then you were lying about Cantor's motives. Take your pick unknowing or lying. I gave you the benefit of the doubt that you were honest.

Back
Top Bottom