• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every persons position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

IBM and the Holocaust

TimmyBoy

Banned
Joined
Sep 23, 2005
Messages
1,466
Reaction score
0
Gender
Undisclosed
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
I found an excellent book written by a Jewish expert on economic affairs and dealings of Nazi Germany during World War II. His parents were survivors of Nazi death camps. The book talks about how IBM sold technology to Hitler that would enable him to efficiently sort data and information on who was Jewish and who was not in Germany and other Nazi occupied countries. IBM sold this technology knowing what the technology was going to be used beforehand. The author of the book is Edwin Black.
 

nkgupta80

DP Veteran
Joined
May 31, 2005
Messages
1,720
Reaction score
59
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
yeah its crazy how many corporations were involved with nazi germany...

general motors, exon, ibm, and ford... they'd all strike up agreements with nazi germany, under speculation that nazi domination would be successful.
 

The Truth-Bringer

Active member
Joined
Jul 16, 2005
Messages
260
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Independent
Shows how those Capitalists have no morals and would be willing to literally sell the knives to kill people with, all for some little wooden paper and funny shaped metal.

One must admit Cooperations and Capitalist Industries back then were truly heartless.
 

TimmyBoy

Banned
Joined
Sep 23, 2005
Messages
1,466
Reaction score
0
Gender
Undisclosed
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
The Truth-Bringer said:
Shows how those Capitalists have no morals and would be willing to literally sell the knives to kill people with, all for some little wooden paper and funny shaped metal.

One must admit Cooperations and Capitalist Industries back then were truly heartless.
Well, believe it or not, I believe in free market economics. No economic system is perfect, including socialism. Socialism is ineffcient whereas capitalism is efficient in producing wealth. You can be equal and miserable under socialism or you can have vast opportunity under captialism.
 

The Truth-Bringer

Active member
Joined
Jul 16, 2005
Messages
260
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Independent
Very True, But Im just saying Corruption and Indifference in Cooperations = Bad, as in that example you put up. And I agree, people can be miserable in Socialism, as in under any system
 

TimmyBoy

Banned
Joined
Sep 23, 2005
Messages
1,466
Reaction score
0
Gender
Undisclosed
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
The Truth-Bringer said:
Very True, But Im just saying Corruption and Indifference in Cooperations = Bad, as in that example you put up. And I agree, people can be miserable in Socialism, as in under any system
Their is corruption in socialism and their was alot of corruption in the Soviet Union. Corruption is just part of human nature.
 

superskippy

Active member
Joined
Jul 8, 2005
Messages
377
Reaction score
2
Location
Tel'Aviv (when not on duty.)
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Conservative
The Truth-Bringer said:
Shows how those Capitalists have no morals and would be willing to literally sell the knives to kill people with, all for some little wooden paper and funny shaped metal.

One must admit Cooperations and Capitalist Industries back then were truly heartless.
To be fair the USSR made plenty of deals with the Nazi's including the non-overt alliance, and the shipment of thousands of tons of raw materials.
 

nkgupta80

DP Veteran
Joined
May 31, 2005
Messages
1,720
Reaction score
59
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
a lot more us companies made deals, including ford, gm, exxon, etc.
 

Tashah

wʜɪтe яussɪaи
DP Veteran
Joined
May 25, 2005
Messages
18,379
Reaction score
9,226
Location
ישראל • אמריקה
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Centrist
As I recall, IBM provided punchcards to the Nazi regime which then used them to keep track of its Jewish citizens.

Many corporations were complicit in the Holocaust. The German firm Siemans, which today is the world's largest maker of electronic components, utilized slave labor extensively in its WWII factories.

Anyone interested in this arena of inquiry should investigate the WWII corporate empire of Herman Goring, and also the Todt Organization.


 

TimmyBoy

Banned
Joined
Sep 23, 2005
Messages
1,466
Reaction score
0
Gender
Undisclosed
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Tashah said:
As I recall, IBM provided punchcards to the Nazi regime which then used them to keep track of its Jewish citizens.

Many corporations were complicit in the Holocaust. The German firm Siemans, which today is the world's largest maker of electronic components, utilized slave labor extensively in its WWII factories.

Anyone interested in this arena of inquiry should investigate the WWII corporate empire of Herman Goring, and also the Todt Organization.


What are some good books on corporate complicity in the holocaust besides the book written by Edwin Black on IBM?
 
Top Bottom