• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

I finally did it.

After fifteen years of waffling around it, I have finally committed myself to changing the name I was given at birth, and breaking the hold it had over me in my relationships with my family.

I have decided that my name is no longer Cecil Thomas Sims. From now on, I am Viktyr Ludvig Korimir; I start the process of having it changed legally on Monday.

That's a pretty badass new name. I'm curious why you chose to switch the y at the end of Korimyr to an i though (or was it always an i and I just don't remember?).

That's a pretty badass new name. I'm curious why you chose to switch the y at the end of Korimyr to an i though (or was it always an i and I just don't remember?).

Same reason I used the goofy spelling of "Viktyr" and the phonetic spelling of "Ludvig". My name is spelled and pronounced roughly the same in both English and Loglan. (In Loglan, the "i"s are pronounced "ee" and I have an accent mark over the "o".) If I wanted to be absolutely proper in Loglan, my first name would have been "Viktr", but English demands a vowel there-- the "y" in Loglan is a schwa sound.

Okay. I filed the court paperwork and placed an ad in the newspaper. Now, I just have to wait 30 days and hope no one files an objection to my name change.

I still have an outstanding judgment from 2007 that I could never resolve because I could never contact the company I supposedly owed money. I've got my fingers crossed that it doesn't put the kibosh on the whole thing.

hmm.... Cheyenne, Wyoming, let me google that.....

How much you got? :mrgreen:

Turns out it was a false alarm. The court has it listed as a satisfied judgment, and I just got off the phone with all three credit bureaus to get them to correct it.

Scared the Hell out of me, because an outstanding judgment could have ruined my name change process-- and then I would have started to start all over with the newspapers and everything. In addition to being a huge, horrible pain in the ass, having your name legally changed outside of marriage or divorce is expensive.

As for what I've got left... you could maybe buy yourself a nice lunch at a steakhouse.

I like it, even the shape of your name reminds me of a viking weapon.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to be mean - de debbil made me do it. It was too inviting - I promise to behave in future. :mrgreen:

Naw I wrote something that wouldve possibly been misconstrued as impolite or making fun.

Naw I wrote something that wouldve possibly been misconstrued as impolite or making fun.

My best friend calls me "Icky Viki" and I have one online friend who says my new name gives him a rash.

I never had to go through Junior High with this name, so I'm assuming that I'm due for some good-natured ribbing.

You now need an electric guitar that is in the shape of a double headed axe.

My best friend calls me "Icky Viki" and I have one online friend who says my new name gives him a rash.

I never had to go through Junior High with this name, so I'm assuming that I'm due for some good-natured ribbing.

Grow your hair out with a beat nick goatee, so I can call you Vic. :mrgreen:

Joining a Norwegian opera/metal band would also be a good move.

Grow your hair out with a beat nick goatee, so I can call you Vic. :mrgreen:

Unfortunately can't do either. You'll have to find another nickname for me.

Well, I just got off the phone with the last of my relatives I was worried about-- my Aunt and the Uncle I was named after-- and they're both being very loving and supportive of my decision. They're having a Hell of a time actually calling me by my new name, but they're trying.

There's little left to do but wait. The newspaper ad has to run for a month, and then I take their affidavit and my order of name change down to the County Clerk again. Then it's just a matter of whether or not the judge wants a hearing, and how quickly he's willing to sign the thing. (Apparently, this can take longer than I anticipated.) There's pretty much nothing left that can stop this from happening.

Congratulations Viktyr. I hope this is the beginning of a new life for you. :)

Back
Top Bottom