• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

I am softening my stance on illegal aliens

congrats on your new job!.....and congrats on your humanity.

that's a good point; i would like to say for one and all that danarhea is obviously a liar.

i mean, what, like we're supposed to believe that a good work ethic and the willingness to apply oneself and / or even take a pay cut means that one could get a job in this economy!?! please.

why, if we believed that then we would have to start wondering what all those people taking unprecedented amounts of unemployment benefits are doing.

i mean, obviously these people sucking at the teat are just hardworking americans who were thrown out of work by the Bush economy and are completely unable to do anything for themselves! right?!?

Two things come to mind. Desiring the enforcement of our laws and borders is not racist, and one data point does not a trend make.

Congrats on the new job. I'm glad you found something so quickly.

And he never returned to this thread... shocking? Not at all.

1) I am still against illegal immigration, but I am going to have any honesty at all in my life, then I have to admit that part of my view on this was based on bigotry. In a sense, I have to be one of the biggest hypocrites at DP because of it, since I am always calling out the hypocrisy in others. You think this is easy for me to say? It isn't.

2) Read my OP again. I never said that I was in favor of illegal immigration. I said that I was for giving those illegals already here a way to become citizens. This could involve military service, paying a huge fine, or there could be any number of other legal ways to citizenship. But the illegals are going to have to do something if they want to stay and become legal.

What I have learned is that we are ALL God's children, and that includes illegal aliens. I just didn't see it that way until now. I will no longer begrudge illegals for coming here. Illegals also deserve my prayers, just as anyone else does. This IS what Jesus would do.

3) And I am still against employers breaking the law by hiring illegals. They should still go to jail, when they are caught.

So, to answer your question, I agree that being against illegal immigration has nothing to do with racism. On the other hand, there are a lot of people on that side of the issue who are bigots. Sorry to say that I have been one of them.

Two things come to mind. Desiring the enforcement of our laws and borders is not racist, and one data point does not a trend make.

Congrats on the new job. I'm glad you found something so quickly.

I agree. I still desire the enforcement of laws and borders. However, where my stance has changed is that now I am going to support a path to citizenship. This is not violating the law, but is changing a political stance that I have held for decades. Not an easy thing to do, and especially not an easy thing to admit to either. Look at all the personal attacks I am getting because of what I am posting. Ah, people love me. :mrgreen:

I have no problems with a path to citizenship, buT I don't believe the people who have willingly violated our laws should get a free pass to the express lane.

I have no problems with a path to citizenship, buT I don't believe the people who have willingly violated our laws should get a free pass to the express lane.

I agree, but as you said, they should have a path. This was what I was against before, and now I am in favor of it.

that's a good point; i would like to say for one and all that danarhea is obviously a liar.

Moderator's Warning:
Cease these personal attacks or you will receive further consequences.

The most honest, hardworking, ethical, gracious and charitable man I've ever known came here illegally. When given an opportunity, he jumped at the chance to gain legal status and his US citizenship. Most illegals want to be here legally but have no real ability to do so because of the preponderance of people who demonize illegals as something they are not.

I unashamed to call myself "pro-illegal" because some of the people I love most in this world were once illegals. I have always been of the opinion that people who are anti-illegal are usually the ones with the least amount of expereinces dealing with illegals on a human level.

It's easy to denounce others when you don't allow yourself to see them as people.

I'm still at a loss to understand how Dan lives in Houston, Texas, and never had much occasion to "deal with illegals on a human level".
Maybe he just.... doesn't realize that some of the people he knows are illegals. :shrug:
One would have to be a very determined bigot indeed to avoid interaction with illegal immigrants in that city. Which Dan claims he was, but which I'm suspecting/hoping was just hyperbole.

And, for those who feel like bashing me because I am changing my stance, have at it. I won't change my mind. If illegal aliens want a chance at the American dream, I would like to give them a chance, as long as they do it legally.

You don't have to be a racist to be against illegal immigration. Some might be, but the reason we have a problem with illegal immigration is the total failure of the federal government to enforce the law. Immigrants who try to follow the law are being screwed royally. Those who don't follow the law are weighing the potential costs vs benefits and finding that the chance of being caught is small enough that they just risk it. They still have the cloud of deportation looming over their heads every day.

Amnesty is not the right answer, because you can't just break it off in all the people who followed the law. That said, leaving the law the way it is ain't the right answer either.

Moderator's Warning:
Cease these personal attacks or you will receive further consequences.

? it was tongue in cheek - a compliment on him getting another job so quickly.

if i could suggest you re-read the post.

Thank you for this. It is probably the most heartwarming post I've seen here.
God bless you.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…