• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

I am softening my stance on illegal aliens

This is really hard for me to post, but I have to look at myself pretty hard in a mirror, and you know what? I am not sure that I like what I see. I am about to change that.

For many years, I have been bashing illegal aliens, and to tell you the truth, there may have been some racism involved. I have seen so many illegal aliens here in Houston that I have been kind of pissed at them. There are a lot of people living under bridges, while illegal aliens have been taking jobs that they could have done. So I have taken an extremely hard line with them.

Here is what has happened to me in the last few days - For almost 18 years, I have managed an Iranian owned HVAC company, and the owner and I have become very close friends. I made excellent money, and we were rocking and rolling. About a year ago, my boss sold the company and retired. The new boss is not a good businessman, and has run the company into the ground. I can't blame him completely, as the downturn economy hit pretty hard. Small HVAC companies have been dropping like flies, but I didn't think it would happen to my company. After all, during the last 6 years, we won 6 BBB Awards for Excellence, which included 2 Pinnacle Awards. Out of thousands of companies in East Texas, including the Houston area, only one Pinnacle award is given out in any given year, and only 2 or 3 Winners of Distincion Awards are given out. We were on top of the world. But a perfect storm of economic conditions and mismanagement from the new owner hit us.

As a result, the company is about to close its doors. There was a layoff about a month ago, and this week, I was informed that I was also about to be laid off, in a last ditch effort to keep the company afloat. It looks like all the cost cutting is for nil. The company that I put so much effort into is about to fold, and most likely will be out of business by the end of the year.

When I got the news that I was about to become unemployed, I asked for permission to hit the bricks and look for another job, which I was given. Although good jobs, even here in Houston, are tough to find, I lined up an interview for a sales job with an industrial solvents manufacturer for the next day, and this is where my story begins.

I had some time to kill on my way to the interview, so stopped at a restaurant to get something to eat. After that, I was going to shop for some new clothes, so that I would look as presentable as I could. I refuse to take unemployment compensation, so doing whatever I had to do to get a new job was my number one priority. On leaving the restaurant, I got into my car, started the engine, and then shifted into reverse to back out of my parking space. Nothing happened. The cable to my transmission had broken, and I was dead in the water. Needless to say, if I didn't make my interview, then my chances to get this job were also dead in the water.

Across the street from the restaurant was a used tire place, run by Mexicans. After saying a prayer, I went across and asked if anyone there knew anything about mechanics. I told them that I knew what the problem was, and that I needed to get to a job interview in the worst way. They called a guy named Enrique, who met me in the restaurant parking lot, and looked at my car. My transmission cable was definitely broken. He repaired the cable, and when I attempted to pay him, he told me it was OK. I insisted, and he then said "10 dollars". I negotiated with him, and finally got the price up to 130 dollars. If I had gotten my car towed to my regular mechanic, and then repaired, the price would have been well over 300 dollars plus the tow, and I would have missed my job interview. 10 dollars was not fair at all. Anyways, he repaired the cable and I paid him. The last thing he said to me before I left was "Good luck with your interview, and God bless you". Those words hit me like a ton of bricks, and made me take a hard look at myself in a mirror. You know what? I did not like what I saw. That is about to change.

I didn't have time to shop for clothes, but I made the interview with about 5 minutes to spare, and guess what else? I got the job. I start in a week. Not quite the pay I was getting at my old job, but I am employed and that is what counts. And it was all because of a Mexican who couldn't speak English well at all. I could hardly understand his speaking, but now I understand his heart. Mexicans are not animals. They are human beings, more human than many who speak perfect English. I have to be honest. If I were in his shoes, I would have said "Transmission problems? Sorry to hear that. Too bad". So here I am, taking inventory of my life, and thanking God that, when in an hour of crisis, it was a Mexican who couldn't speak English well, that saved my sorry ass.

I know that I come off here as someone who people believe mocks God. I don't mock God. I just have a problem with some people, mainly televangelists, who tell me how God is supposed to be some kind of a cosmic gofer, who will give you whatever you ask for. I believe that God teaches lessons, and this week, God taught me an important lesson, and I humbly accept his teaching. It was an illegal alien who made me see that God loves everyone, no matter their station in life. No longer will I bash illegal aliens, but will from now on support any program that gives them a chance to become American citizens.

To me, God does work in mysterious ways.

And, for those who feel like bashing me because I am changing my stance, have at it. I won't change my mind. If illegal aliens want a chance at the American dream, I would like to give them a chance, as long as they do it legally.

BTW, this is the reason I have not been online much this week. I hope that everyone congratulates me on obtaining a new job, only one day after losing my old job. I have been paying employment taxes for more than 40 years now, and guess what? I don't need the government to help me out at all. I did this all on my own, with a little help from an illegal alien, God bless him.

I now put on my flameproof suit.

congrats on your new job!.....and congrats on your humanity.

that's a good point; i would like to say for one and all that danarhea is obviously a liar.

i mean, what, like we're supposed to believe that a good work ethic and the willingness to apply oneself and / or even take a pay cut means that one could get a job in this economy!?! :rolleyes: please.

why, if we believed that then we would have to start wondering what all those people taking unprecedented amounts of unemployment benefits are doing.

i mean, obviously these people sucking at the teat are just hardworking americans who were thrown out of work by the Bush economy and are completely unable to do anything for themselves! right?!?

Two things come to mind. Desiring the enforcement of our laws and borders is not racist, and one data point does not a trend make.

Congrats on the new job. I'm glad you found something so quickly.

And he never returned to this thread... shocking? Not at all.

Okay, I'm not knocking your self-evaluation and subsequent conclusion. But I do need to question one aspect. You said you had some racism toward Mexicans in general, and I can understand why this experience would make you re-evaluate that. However, how does it make you re-evaluate ILLEGAL immigration? Was the guy that fixed your car here illegally? And if he was, because of the kindness of one illegal immigrant, you think that all illegal immigration is okay despite the negative effects it has on so much of our country? Honestly, I'm pretty stunned by this.

Again, I can totally see why it made you see how you were being racist and re-evaluate that and I think that's FANTASTIC. But being against illegal immigration has jack all to do with racism.

1) I am still against illegal immigration, but I am going to have any honesty at all in my life, then I have to admit that part of my view on this was based on bigotry. In a sense, I have to be one of the biggest hypocrites at DP because of it, since I am always calling out the hypocrisy in others. You think this is easy for me to say? It isn't.

2) Read my OP again. I never said that I was in favor of illegal immigration. I said that I was for giving those illegals already here a way to become citizens. This could involve military service, paying a huge fine, or there could be any number of other legal ways to citizenship. But the illegals are going to have to do something if they want to stay and become legal.

What I have learned is that we are ALL God's children, and that includes illegal aliens. I just didn't see it that way until now. I will no longer begrudge illegals for coming here. Illegals also deserve my prayers, just as anyone else does. This IS what Jesus would do.

3) And I am still against employers breaking the law by hiring illegals. They should still go to jail, when they are caught.

So, to answer your question, I agree that being against illegal immigration has nothing to do with racism. On the other hand, there are a lot of people on that side of the issue who are bigots. Sorry to say that I have been one of them.

Two things come to mind. Desiring the enforcement of our laws and borders is not racist, and one data point does not a trend make.

Congrats on the new job. I'm glad you found something so quickly.

I agree. I still desire the enforcement of laws and borders. However, where my stance has changed is that now I am going to support a path to citizenship. This is not violating the law, but is changing a political stance that I have held for decades. Not an easy thing to do, and especially not an easy thing to admit to either. Look at all the personal attacks I am getting because of what I am posting. Ah, people love me. :mrgreen:

I agree. I still desire the enforcement of laws and borders. However, where my stance has changed is that now I am going to support a path to citizenship. This is not violating the law, but is changing a political stance that I have held for decades. Not an easy thing to do, and especially not an easy thing to admit to either. Look at all the personal attacks I am getting because of what I am posting. Ah, people love me. :mrgreen:

I have no problems with a path to citizenship, buT I don't believe the people who have willingly violated our laws should get a free pass to the express lane.

I have no problems with a path to citizenship, buT I don't believe the people who have willingly violated our laws should get a free pass to the express lane.

I agree, but as you said, they should have a path. This was what I was against before, and now I am in favor of it.

that's a good point; i would like to say for one and all that danarhea is obviously a liar.

Moderator's Warning:
Cease these personal attacks or you will receive further consequences.

This is really hard for me to post, but I have to look at myself pretty hard in a mirror, and you know what? I am not sure that I like what I see. I am about to change that.

For many years, I have been bashing illegal aliens, and to tell you the truth, there may have been some racism involved. I have seen so many illegal aliens here in Houston that I have been kind of pissed at them. There are a lot of people living under bridges, while illegal aliens have been taking jobs that they could have done. So I have taken an extremely hard line with them.

Here is what has happened to me in the last few days - For almost 18 years, I have managed an Iranian owned HVAC company, and the owner and I have become very close friends. I made excellent money, and we were rocking and rolling. About a year ago, my boss sold the company and retired. The new boss is not a good businessman, and has run the company into the ground. I can't blame him completely, as the downturn economy hit pretty hard. Small HVAC companies have been dropping like flies, but I didn't think it would happen to my company. After all, during the last 6 years, we won 6 BBB Awards for Excellence, which included 2 Pinnacle Awards. Out of thousands of companies in East Texas, including the Houston area, only one Pinnacle award is given out in any given year, and only 2 or 3 Winners of Distincion Awards are given out. We were on top of the world. But a perfect storm of economic conditions and mismanagement from the new owner hit us.

As a result, the company is about to close its doors. There was a layoff about a month ago, and this week, I was informed that I was also about to be laid off, in a last ditch effort to keep the company afloat. It looks like all the cost cutting is for nil. The company that I put so much effort into is about to fold, and most likely will be out of business by the end of the year.

When I got the news that I was about to become unemployed, I asked for permission to hit the bricks and look for another job, which I was given. Although good jobs, even here in Houston, are tough to find, I lined up an interview for a sales job with an industrial solvents manufacturer for the next day, and this is where my story begins.

I had some time to kill on my way to the interview, so stopped at a restaurant to get something to eat. After that, I was going to shop for some new clothes, so that I would look as presentable as I could. I refuse to take unemployment compensation, so doing whatever I had to do to get a new job was my number one priority. On leaving the restaurant, I got into my car, started the engine, and then shifted into reverse to back out of my parking space. Nothing happened. The cable to my transmission had broken, and I was dead in the water. Needless to say, if I didn't make my interview, then my chances to get this job were also dead in the water.

Across the street from the restaurant was a used tire place, run by Mexicans. After saying a prayer, I went across and asked if anyone there knew anything about mechanics. I told them that I knew what the problem was, and that I needed to get to a job interview in the worst way. They called a guy named Enrique, who met me in the restaurant parking lot, and looked at my car. My transmission cable was definitely broken. He repaired the cable, and when I attempted to pay him, he told me it was OK. I insisted, and he then said "10 dollars". I negotiated with him, and finally got the price up to 130 dollars. If I had gotten my car towed to my regular mechanic, and then repaired, the price would have been well over 300 dollars plus the tow, and I would have missed my job interview. 10 dollars was not fair at all. Anyways, he repaired the cable and I paid him. The last thing he said to me before I left was "Good luck with your interview, and God bless you". Those words hit me like a ton of bricks, and made me take a hard look at myself in a mirror. You know what? I did not like what I saw. That is about to change.

I didn't have time to shop for clothes, but I made the interview with about 5 minutes to spare, and guess what else? I got the job. I start in a week. Not quite the pay I was getting at my old job, but I am employed and that is what counts. And it was all because of a Mexican who couldn't speak English well at all. I could hardly understand his speaking, but now I understand his heart. Mexicans are not animals. They are human beings, more human than many who speak perfect English. I have to be honest. If I were in his shoes, I would have said "Transmission problems? Sorry to hear that. Too bad". So here I am, taking inventory of my life, and thanking God that, when in an hour of crisis, it was a Mexican who couldn't speak English well, that saved my sorry ass.

I know that I come off here as someone who people believe mocks God. I don't mock God. I just have a problem with some people, mainly televangelists, who tell me how God is supposed to be some kind of a cosmic gofer, who will give you whatever you ask for. I believe that God teaches lessons, and this week, God taught me an important lesson, and I humbly accept his teaching. It was an illegal alien who made me see that God loves everyone, no matter their station in life. No longer will I bash illegal aliens, but will from now on support any program that gives them a chance to become American citizens.

To me, God does work in mysterious ways.

And, for those who feel like bashing me because I am changing my stance, have at it. I won't change my mind. If illegal aliens want a chance at the American dream, I would like to give them a chance, as long as they do it legally.

BTW, this is the reason I have not been online much this week. I hope that everyone congratulates me on obtaining a new job, only one day after losing my old job. I have been paying employment taxes for more than 40 years now, and guess what? I don't need the government to help me out at all. I did this all on my own, with a little help from an illegal alien, God bless him.

I now put on my flameproof suit.

The most honest, hardworking, ethical, gracious and charitable man I've ever known came here illegally. When given an opportunity, he jumped at the chance to gain legal status and his US citizenship. Most illegals want to be here legally but have no real ability to do so because of the preponderance of people who demonize illegals as something they are not.

I unashamed to call myself "pro-illegal" because some of the people I love most in this world were once illegals. I have always been of the opinion that people who are anti-illegal are usually the ones with the least amount of expereinces dealing with illegals on a human level.

It's easy to denounce others when you don't allow yourself to see them as people.

The most honest, hardworking, ethical, gracious and charitable man I've ever known came here illegally. When given an opportunity, he jumped at the chance to gain legal status and his US citizenship. Most illegals want to be here legally but have no real ability to do so because of the preponderance of people who demonize illegals as something they are not.

I unashamed to call myself "pro-illegal" because some of the people I love most in this world were once illegals. I have always been of the opinion that people who are anti-illegal are usually the ones with the least amount of expereinces dealing with illegals on a human level.

It's easy to denounce others when you don't allow yourself to see them as people.

I'm still at a loss to understand how Dan lives in Houston, Texas, and never had much occasion to "deal with illegals on a human level".
Maybe he just.... doesn't realize that some of the people he knows are illegals. :shrug:
One would have to be a very determined bigot indeed to avoid interaction with illegal immigrants in that city. Which Dan claims he was, but which I'm suspecting/hoping was just hyperbole.

You don't have to be a racist to be against illegal immigration. Some might be, but the reason we have a problem with illegal immigration is the total failure of the federal government to enforce the law. Immigrants who try to follow the law are being screwed royally. Those who don't follow the law are weighing the potential costs vs benefits and finding that the chance of being caught is small enough that they just risk it. They still have the cloud of deportation looming over their heads every day.

Amnesty is not the right answer, because you can't just break it off in all the people who followed the law. That said, leaving the law the way it is ain't the right answer either.

Moderator's Warning:
Cease these personal attacks or you will receive further consequences.

? it was tongue in cheek - a compliment on him getting another job so quickly.

;) if i could suggest you re-read the post.

Thank you for this. It is probably the most heartwarming post I've seen here.
God bless you.

Back
Top Bottom