• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Hydraulic Fracturing

Why? ........

because we're going to tear the hell out of the bedrock to get it, we don't know for sure what the consequences of that are, and it's just another temporary solution. nuclear and renewables seem a much better long term choice.

Nothing about the source of contamination.
That's the same thing the industries of the 50's said when mercury and other toxins started showing up in the environment for the first time. :roll:

Fracking is coming to my neighborhood soon. Atmos energy just had 6.88 acres rezoned from residential-rural to commercial industrial. This is 500 ft from my home. I was at the city council meeting last night where the motion was passed. They are going to erect a tower 185 ft. tall without guide wires. The Atmos representative said that the tower is only for a communications antenna. He said that land line phones weren't reliable.

Do you know how you can erect a tower that's taller than the Eiffel tower without using guide wires? It's simple: the base has to go really far into the ground.

They don't even have the honest integrity to admit to step-by-step sneakily starting a fracking well.

Fracking releases quite a bit of methane into the atmosphere. It's actually worse than CO2. The sand and water that they use to break the rock has to have a plethora of poisonous liquids added to it in order to be strong enough to break the the shale, 7,700 feet below my house. They only recoup 70% of that mixture. the rest is left down in the well. They don't really know how to get rid of the recouped materials, so they did huge pits and fill them with the stuff up on the surface.

The biggest problem seems to be that they've figured out how to create fissures in the rock to release the gas, but they don't know how to clean up, or what long tern consequences the area will face.

I told the council that I would chain myself to the fracking equipment in front of all of my neighbors. They were about 60 people in attendance. I planted the seed in their minds. Now they can research fracking for themselves and we'll see how many will chain up in protest with me.

because we're going to tear the hell out of the bedrock to get it, we don't know for sure what the consequences of that are, and it's just another temporary solution. nuclear and renewables seem a much better long term choice.

Not all Natural Gas has to come from Fracking. In indiana it just seeps out of the ground. There are natural gas wells everywhere.

As far as Fracking goes, Here's something from penn state that gives a good image of what's happening.

Explore Shale. Marcellus Shale Development, Geology and Water.

Fracking is coming to my neighborhood soon. Atmos energy just had 6.88 acres rezoned from residential-rural to commercial industrial. This is 500 ft from my home. I was at the city council meeting last night where the motion was passed. They are going to erect a tower 185 ft. tall without guide wires. The Atmos representative said that the tower is only for a communications antenna. He said that land line phones weren't reliable.

Do you know how you can erect a tower that's taller than the Eiffel tower without using guide wires? It's simple: the base has to go really far into the ground.

They don't even have the honest integrity to admit to step-by-step sneakily starting a fracking well.

Fracking releases quite a bit of methane into the atmosphere. It's actually worse than CO2. The sand and water that they use to break the rock has to have a plethora of poisonous liquids added to it in order to be strong enough to break the the shale, 7,700 feet below my house. They only recoup 70% of that mixture. the rest is left down in the well. They don't really know how to get rid of the recouped materials, so they did huge pits and fill them with the stuff up on the surface.

The biggest problem seems to be that they've figured out how to create fissures in the rock to release the gas, but they don't know how to clean up, or what long tern consequences the area will face.

I told the council that I would chain myself to the fracking equipment in front of all of my neighbors. They were about 60 people in attendance. I planted the seed in their minds. Now they can research fracking for themselves and we'll see how many will chain up in protest with me.

Here's some stuff from Penn State on Fracking.

Not all Natural Gas has to come from Fracking. In indiana it just seeps out of the ground. There are natural gas wells everywhere.

As far as Fracking goes, Here's something from penn state that gives a good image of what's happening.

I really don't get this... anytime you change the composition, and it's relative pressures, and the viscosity of the liquid (or gas) infusing the rock, the 5000 feet of rock above it is going to move eventually. Water IS a prime driver of geologic activity from fault quakes to volcanism. Time will tell. But history says that companies produce propaganda in questionable pursuit of profits more often than not.

I really don't get this... anytime you change the composition, and it's relative pressures, and the viscosity of the liquid (or gas) infusing the rock, the 5000 feet of rock above it is going to move eventually. Water IS a prime driver of geologic activity from fault quakes to volcanism. Time will tell. But history says that companies produce propaganda in questionable pursuit of profits more often than not.

The link was from Penn State.

I just don't think we have the ability to hurt the earth to the degree that the Alarmists claim.

We were exploding A-Bombs in the underground several decades ago. Have there been any ping backs from that? I would suppose that the concussion from an atomic blast would be greater than the concussion from the fracking, but I could wrong.

After all, if a radioactive spider can help to create a super hero...

Anyway, that's the reason I put up something from a university.

The link was from Penn State.

I just don't think we have the ability to hurt the earth to the degree that the Alarmists claim.

We were exploding A-Bombs in the underground several decades ago. Have there been any ping backs from that? I would suppose that the concussion from an atomic blast would be greater than the concussion from the fracking, but I could wrong.

After all, if a radioactive spider can help to create a super hero...

Anyway, that's the reason I put up something from a university.

It's not about the concussion forces. It's about changing the pressures (think letting the air out of a tire) and changing the viscosity of the fluid under pressure.

Back
Top Bottom