• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Hungary blocks next tranche of EU military support for Ukraine

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

Hungary has blocked the disbursement of the eighth installment of the European Peace Facility (EPF) for arms to Ukraine, the government confirmed. Hungary’s illiberal leader has taken a neutral stance in the conflict, seen by many as implicit support for Russia’s aggression. While Orban stood by Ukraine’s territorial integrity, he has never named Vladimir Putin as an aggressor and has blocked the sending of weapons directly to the country. Hungary grudgingly accepted all 10 EU sanctions against Russia and has signed a new gas agreement with Moscow, and is still counting on Rosatom to expand the Paks nuclear plant. In the latest spat, Budapest threatened to block the latest round of EU sanctions against Russia that are being prepared unless Ukraine removes Hungarian OTP bank from the list of "international sponsors of war".

Hungary's fascist PM Viktor Orban is again doing Moscow's dirty work.

Hungary's fascist PM Viktor Orban is again doing Moscow's dirty work.
Both Hungary and Poland have their eyes on settling some old territorial disputes with the Ukraine so, better to let them weaken and become desperate. If things get much worse then Zelensky may well have to 'invite' them into the disputed regions in exchange for resources and troops.

Both Hungary and Poland have their eyes on settling some old territorial disputes with the Ukraine so, better to let them weaken and become desperate. If things get much worse then Zelensky may well have to 'invite' them into the disputed regions in exchange for resources and troops.
Poland is one of the most enthusiastic supporters of Ukraine in this war. This is causing a rift between Poland and Hungary.

Hello stranger, long time no see. Hope you've been well?

To my knowledge, Poland has not made any territorial demands on Ukraine and has been one of Ukrane's staunchest supporters in its war against Putin aggression.

A few years back (2018) there was bad blood between Ukraine and Hungary when the Hungarian consulate in Ukraine's southwest Zakarpattya Oblast began handing out Hungarian passports to ethnic Hungarian Ukrainian citizens living in the oblast. Budapest and Kyiv expelled diplomats over the row. Ethnic Hungarian citizens of Ukraine were willing to go along with this charade because on retirement they would recieve a Hungarian state pension which is usually more money than a Ukrainian state pension.

Hungarian officials in their consulate at Berehove, Zakarpattya Oblast, Ukraine in a Hungarian passport ceremony....

Poland is one of the most enthusiastic supporters of Ukraine in this war. This is causing a rift between Poland and Hungary.
The US (Congress) was one of the most enthusiastic supporters of Nazi Germany... before they were not. Things change over time.

Hello stranger, long time no see. Hope you've been well?
Hey IC, not sure how long I'll be back but, thought I'd dip my toe lol.
Been a bad few years for me but, I'm bouncing back!!!
How are things with you?

Hey IC, not sure how long I'll be back but, thought I'd dip my toe lol.
Been a bad few years for me but, I'm bouncing back!!!
How are things with you?

Changed career, I now work in the Emergency Services, IT support and infrastructure. Nicest bunch of people I've ever worked with so I'm pretty happy with life.
Hope you can stick around - always nice to have someone who you can disagree intelligently with.

How's things with you?

Back
Top Bottom