• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How would you define the Justin Trudeau brand?

DrStrangelove

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Political parties and leaders engage in branding just like corporations and products.

Thank you,

Dr. Strangelove
University of Ottawa

Political parties and leaders engage in branding just like corporations and products.

Thank you,

Dr. Strangelove
University of Ottawa

ABBA...... minus quality.

Thank you,

Dr. Strangelove
University of Ottawa

To quote Quark from DS9 "So Bubbly and cloy and happy" but he's definitely lost some shine, as all politicians inevitably will, it's just the nature of things.

His monumental screw up on voting reform definitely lost him a lot of points with me, but weed legalization, while not perfect was a good campaign promise to keep.

Whether Andrew Scheer, a guy who looks like he screams sorry when he cums, is the guy to take him down in an actual election, is a whooooooooooole different story and I don't know much about Jagmeet Singh yet, could be a dark horse you never know, but if he does make any gains in the next elections, likely splitting the left vote, could end up with a Conservative minority government.

Who knows.

Thank you,

Dr. Strangelove
University of Ottawa

Thoughtful, pragmatic, sells out to Saudis.
/

Thank you,

Dr. Strangelove
University of Ottawa

Speaking as someone who's always voted Liberal when I voted (except for that year I voted Rhino because Trudeau 1 pissed me off) I gotta say I'll probably sit the next one out. I'm not at all happy with Trudeau 2.0. I can't 'define his brand' but I can say I'm not pleased with what I see as creeping too far left for my taste.

Thank you,

Dr. Strangelove
University of Ottawa

NOT to put too fine a point on the pencil, but his brand here reads as "Canadian" in core. He has advanced numerous progressive ideals in lock step with the over all liberal philosophy. His appeal though has diminished simply through exposure.

Any given Canadian will find fault with a thing, this or that, from not enough women in the civil service to not having waded in the murk of electoral reform - a political dead end if there ever was one. In fact, give kudos to the boy for NOT having wasted our time and resources on what, essentially is a non starter - the NDP's plebiscite just got shredded with a 75% "NO" vote so I will not hold him to account.

He will also be due some credit for so elegantly handling the asshole on our asshole, Trump. The prez managed a tinkering of the North American Free Trade Agreement and claimed a win by giving it a new name. What remains to be seen is whether Trudeau can make the deal fly to Canadian voters - here there is already a backlash to American "tainted" milk and the new deal hasn't even been signed. Trump may have dealt himself a hand of death - that anything associated with him faces public rejection.

In closing what is clear is that there is no real opposition to him, the NDP has left the station, the Greens are sleeping and the conservatives are in hiding or something and it appears all of them except the Liberals have yet to realize the next election will be determined by the women's vote...

Thank you,

Dr. Strangelove
University of Ottawa

Talk a good game but political inexperience when it comes to the House but smart enough to elect a good cabinet who understand their position and roles and can operate independent.
He would be a better Gov. General just waving, giving away award and greeting people then Prime Minster.

Two-faced liar. Disappointingly and myopically self-interested.

I'll never forgive him for abandoning electoral reform and turning down the recommendations of his own committee because he felt it to be politically expedient, nevermind his 1+ billion overpay for the Kinder pipeline.

Thank you,

Dr. Strangelove
University of Ottawa

Dr. Strangelove:

The Justin Trudeau brand is Franco-Canadian, Québécois, young, good looking, urban, hip, inclusive, caring, trustworthy, socially progressive, fiscally unrestrained, a focus on consensus building and sensitive to the needs, wants and aspirations of people at the margins of society. However the brand does not necessarily align with the reality of the Trudeau government and in some respects is spin rather than substance. This gap between branding and reality is causing many Canadians to reexamine his potential as a political leader and is causing some to rethink past choices. His ****-up in election reform, his sell out to Texas oil interests over the Kinder-Morgan pipeline debacle and his government's rather supine position with regards to North American trade negotiations are all cracks in the branding veneer covering Mr. Trudeau.

Fortunately for Mr. Trudeau and his party there is no party or leader in present-day Canadian politics who can really challenge the Trudeau/Liberal position right now so he will likely be reelected to either a smaller majority or as a minority government in a hung-parliament. The only scenario that I see as possibly changing this is if the NDP can find a way to split left-leaning and socially progressive voters away from the liberal camp, allowing the Progressive Conservatives a lane up the middle to a minority government. But at this point that seems unlikely.

Cheers.
Evilroddy.

Dr. Strangelove:

The Justin Trudeau brand is Franco-Canadian, Québécois, young, good looking, urban, hip, inclusive, caring, trustworthy, socially progressive, fiscally unrestrained, a focus on consensus building and sensitive to the needs, wants and aspirations of people at the margins of society. However the brand does not necessarily align with the reality of the Trudeau government and in some respects is spin rather than substance. This gap between branding and reality is causing many Canadians to reexamine his potential as a political leader and is causing some to rethink past choices. His ****-up in election reform, his sell out to Texas oil interests over the Kinder-Morgan pipeline debacle and his government's rather supine position with regards to North American trade negotiations are all cracks in the branding veneer covering Mr. Trudeau.

Fortunately for Mr. Trudeau and his party there is no party or leader in present-day Canadian politics who can really challenge the Trudeau/Liberal position right now so he will likely be reelected to either a smaller majority or as a minority government in a hung-parliament. The only scenario that I see as possibly changing this is if the NDP can find a way to split left-leaning and socially progressive voters away from the liberal camp, allowing the Progressive Conservatives a lane up the middle to a minority government. But at this point that seems unlikely.

Cheers.
Evilroddy.

Though I never bought into it in the first place (voting for Trudeau only due to a lack of alternatives), knowing full and well the sort of politico Trudeau was likely to mutate into upon obtaining power, that brand has been damaged beyond repair; it is no longer what it was. Justin's actions have changed it irrevocably.

How is he selling out to the Saudis when his government is doing anything they can to piss them off?

You're right. When Yemen made the MSM, he did the right thing. I've thought the Saudis scumbags for a long time, not just Yemen, so I wasn't too pleased about Canada/Saudi arms deals from the getgo.
\/

Thank you,

Dr. Strangelove
University of Ottawa

How would I define the brand? Different from the politics, to be sure. From a branding perspective, he was EXACTLY what Canada needed, after 10 years of Conservative suicide. We had become unrecognizable as a country under Harper, and were headed to America-Lite status. Trudeau restored our Canadian political and international identity. He's been wonderful for the brand, as can be demonstrated by the feedback from the majority of the world. It's been nice to wash away the stink of the Harper years.

Politically he's been far from perfect...but given the alternatives, he'll get my vote again. The NDP are still based in dream land without a plan to "make it happen", and the Conservatives are still a bunch of **** eating fear mongers, trying to get a few more miles out of Harper's failed playbook (speaking strictly about the politicians, while refusing to generalize supporters). I believe he has done a better job with the last three years than anyone else in that election would have.

*sigh* Hi, Buzz. Is homophobia the only way you can express yourself, in regards to your PM?

Are homosexual males fairies? Gee I'll have to let me realestate broker know that.
But don't be too down-hearted. This is really what I think of Sheerer...
blank-slate.jpg

Are homosexual males fairies? Gee I'll have to let me realestate broker know that.
But don't be too down-hearted. This is really what I think of Sheerer...
View attachment 67248528

Oh, stop, you threw it out there, don't act coy now...lol... Do better, friend. Yes, I'm lecturing you. Tsk. Tsk. We all know fairy means to gentlemen of a certain age.

;)

If that picture is meant to represent what's going on Scheer's head, then we get to agree today. :)

Oh, stop, you threw it out there, don't act coy now...lol... Do better, friend. Yes, I'm lecturing you. Tsk. Tsk. We all know fairy means to gentlemen of a certain age.

;)
True Nate. But quite honestly, I had never really used the nickname I have for Justin, as a homophobic slur.
I use it because he can always be counted on to do the SJW thing. For instance, he put his mighty foot down a while back to say the BC pipeline...only to waffle at the first sign if SJW pressure. Went to India and pretty much embarrassed both Canada and India. And any number of other silly crapolla.

If that picture is meant to represent what's going on Scheer's head, then we get to agree today. :)
Ya...that's depressing... Its as if the Conservatives are throwing the election.

True Nate. But quite honestly, I had never really used the nickname I have for Justin, as a homophobic slur.
I use it because he can always be counted on to do the SJW thing. For instance, he put his mighty foot down a while back to say the BC pipeline...only to waffle at the first sign if SJW pressure. Went to India and pretty much embarrassed both Canada and India. And any number of other silly crapolla.

Ya...that's depressing... Its as if the Conservatives are throwing the election.

I'll skip the Trudeau stuff, we clearly feel differently (though maybe not as differently as you'd suspect, I'm not sure...he seems to have fizzled, I don't think, even if I'm trying to be mean, that "pixie dust" is still apropos...perhaps "pixie dust" AFTER the rave, at the point where the drugs wear off...hehe), you think he's worse than I do, c'est la vie.

Re: the CPC though... I think one of the reasons that the LPC won in 2015, other than Harper coming unhinged, is that they actually learned from their ass whooping in 2011. They were decimated, and they came back hungry and listening. It showed. Not just in the leadership, but at the local levels as well. It truly was excellent branding.

The CPC has done the opposite. They've stuck with ugly politics, fear mongering, scapegoating, social conservatism, populism, religious interference...basically more of the same garbage. That could cost them another four years on the sidelines. They need to remember we're Canada, not America, and stop trying to make us something we are not, because some political formula works great down there and it would be convenient if we'd behave the same way.

It would be great if all our parties were strong and useful. They used to be - they each had a purpose to serve, and did so well, if not perfectly. First, though, we need to practice our own form of nationalism, which is staying true to our Canadian identity...something that the CPC has lost touch with entirely, and appear intent on destroying, all the while claiming the opposite, for those with short memories, or who never understood it in the first place.

I sincerely feel bad that Canadian conservatives don't have a party to vote for, and have to make themselves less than Canadian to fall in line. My 90 year old Grandmother, who has never failed to vote in her life (and ALWAYS voted Conservative), will be staying home this year. She's ashamed, but she says she would be more ashamed if she gave Scheer her vote...and she won't give it to anyone else...lol... You'd like my Grandmother. She hates Trudeau too...lol... But she hates what her party has become more. I've never met a better patriot.

I'll skip the Trudeau stuff, we clearly feel differently (though maybe not as differently as you'd suspect, I'm not sure...he seems to have fizzled, I don't think, even if I'm trying to be mean, that "pixie dust" is still apropos...perhaps "pixie dust" AFTER the rave, at the point where the drugs wear off...hehe), you think he's worse than I do, c'est la vie.

Re: the CPC though... I think one of the reasons that the LPC won in 2015, other than Harper coming unhinged, is that they actually learned from their ass whooping in 2011. They were decimated, and they came back hungry and listening. It showed. Not just in the leadership, but at the local levels as well. It truly was excellent branding.

The CPC has done the opposite. They've stuck with ugly politics, fear mongering, scapegoating, social conservatism, populism, religious interference...basically more of the same garbage. That could cost them another four years on the sidelines. They need to remember we're Canada, not America, and stop trying to make us something we are not, because some political formula works great down there and it would be convenient if we'd behave the same way.

It would be great if all our parties were strong and useful. They used to be - they each had a purpose to serve, and did so well, if not perfectly. First, though, we need to practice our own form of nationalism, which is staying true to our Canadian identity...something that the CPC has lost touch with entirely, and appear intent on destroying, all the while claiming the opposite, for those with short memories, or who never understood it in the first place.

I sincerely feel bad that Canadian conservatives don't have a party to vote for, and have to make themselves less than Canadian to fall in line. My 90 year old Grandmother, who has never failed to vote in her life (and ALWAYS voted Conservative), will be staying home this year. She's ashamed, but she says she would be more ashamed if she gave Scheer her vote...and she won't give it to anyone else...lol... You'd like my Grandmother. She hates Trudeau too...lol... But she hates what her party has become more. I've never met a better patriot.

Well I would give your Granny a big hug. Maybe a shot o' something too.

Ya we have little to no good choices this time.
A man who is down-right embarrassing and has no spine what-so-ever.
A man who has the personality of a blank black board.
A man who can't even win a riding.
I'm going to wind up casting my vote for the person who "best" fits my convictions, but none of them really do.
I think Professor Peterson should run.

Well I would give your Granny a big hug. Maybe a shot o' something too.

Ya we have little to no good choices this time.
A man who is down-right embarrassing and has no spine what-so-ever.
A man who has the personality of a blank black board.
A man who can't even win a riding.
I'm going to wind up casting my vote for the person who "best" fits my convictions, but none of them really do.
I think Professor Peterson should run.

Haha...nope to the shot, she's been a teetotaller all her life. :lol: As in, I've never even had a drink in front of her...though don't let me paint her as a dictator zealot, it's out of love and respect that I don't partake in front of her. Her father was a vicious alcoholic, and she's a good Lutheran lady.

Peterson...ugh... You knew you lost me when you typed that, didn't you... :lol:

Back
Top Bottom