• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:#7426]How will Brexit go?***W:46]***

How will Brexit go?

• Total voters
Johnson lied again. Today is the anniversary of the signing of the Good Friday Agreement, which brought peace to Northern Ireland. Belfast burned again last night.

EyhONtcWEAADlOd

Today is the anniversary of the signing of the Good Friday Agreement, which brought peace to Northern Ireland.

There will never be peace in Northern Ireland until the two groups learn to live together.

The solution lies in Northern Ireland....not in Westminster.

Brexit is just the latest excuse used by Republicans for more violence.....but there are other reasons for the violence......" a spate of recent arrests of loyalist paramilitary members and a lack of prosecutions following the flouting of Covid rules at the funeral of a senior republican, that was attended by Sinn Féin politicians."

BBC

Last edited:
"Irish MEP blasts EU boss"

French MEP lashes out against EU bosses

There will never be peace in Northern Ireland until the two groups learn to live together.

The solution lies in Northern Ireland....not in Westminster.

Brexit is just the latest excuse used by Republicans for more violence.....but there are other reasons for the violence......" a spate of recent arrests of loyalist paramilitary members and a lack of prosecutions following the flouting of Covid rules at the funeral of a senior republican, that was attended by Sinn Féin politicians."

BBC
They've had 450 years to do that and that's worked out great so far. Johnson's Brexit took a big ignorant dump on the GFA and reopened Pandora's box.

I have to be honest here and say I've not noticed any difference so far.
Even at work where we export stuff all round Europe (farming supplies) there's been a tiny bit more paperwork but nothing that's out of the ordinary for that sort of boring crap.

Even at work where we export stuff all round Europe (farming supplies) there's been a tiny bit more paperwork but nothing that's out of the ordinary for that sort of boring crap.

Do you export full trucks or send your stuff on trucks with other goods from other companies as well?

Do you export full trucks or send your stuff on trucks with other goods from other companies as well?

Most of what we export to Europe is small parts for farm machinery so it's via pallet or box.
You'd be surprised how many odd bits and bobs all the new machines need.

My family in the UK say exactly the same.

Much of the whinging comes from bitter Remainers who are disappointed that Brexit has gone off so well.

Verhofstadt has been criticising the EU for some time now over ints inefficiency and lack of action over a number of issues :

"Because let's be honest, half of the issues that you raised are in fact blocked in the Council."

"When we talk about migration, the tragedy in the Moria camp, that's the consequence of the impossibility to reform Dublin, to reform the migration policy."

"When we are talking about Belarus, it's 40 days after this election has been stolen by Lucachjemnclp and we are not capable to put sanctions on the table."

"When we're talking about Turkey drilling in the east Mediterranean in Greeks waters, no sanctions, no actions at all."

"When we talk about Hong Kong, words yes. But sanctions? No. Actions? No."

"And when we talk about the rule of law inside the European Union, let's be honest, it's five, six years that we are talking about that here in Europe and the European Parliament."

Nigel Farage spent years criticising the ineffectiveness of the EU.

It seems some are only now waking up to the truth in what he was saying.

There has been no change in my quality of life ( eg, the availability or cost of goods and services) that can be pinned down to Brexit...but our reaction to Covid has been disastrous though...and remainers overwhelmingly support those actions...most of them are the ****s that have seen no real negative impacts in their lives because they are on good pensions or have safe jobs in the public sector and are often on 100% furlough...but are willing for shop workers and other minions to take all the risks for them.

There has been no change in my quality of life ( eg, the availability or cost of goods and services) that can be pinned down to Brexit...but our reaction to Covid has been disastrous though...and remainers overwhelmingly support those actions...most of them are the ****s that have seen no real negative impacts in their lives because they are on good pensions or have safe jobs in the public sector and are often on 100% furlough...but are willing for shop workers and other minions to take all the risks for them.
That's not what we are hearing here. British exports of food goods have floundered and small businesses have ceased all exports because of paperwork and expense. All you succeeded in doing is to isolate yourself and doom Britain to 3rd world status in a decade. Good going.

Johnson's Brexit deal made no provision for financial services, an industry that accounts for almost 11% of government tax revenue and 1.1 million jobs, according to PwC and the Office for National Statistics.
Prospects for an agreement that would grant Britain the same market access rights as some other non-EU countries look slim, and that could further undermine London's position as Europe's top financial city.
Since the referendum, international financial services firms have migrated almost £1.3 trillion ($1.8 trillion) worth of assets and relocated 7,600 jobs from Britain to the European Union, according to data tracked by EY. Amsterdam has already overtaken London as Europe's top share trading center.
Long-term consequences
Leaving the EU single market means the end of frictionless trade and higher costs for UK companies, even once they have adjusted to the new way of doing business.
"It's important to recognize that there are some teething troubles, but there are also troubles to come as the long-term consequences of making commerce more difficult come home to roost," said Winters.
That will knock foreign direct investment into the United Kingdom over time because companies wanting to serve the European market will no longer choose to base themselves in Britain, he added.

The new trading relationship is expected to lead to a long-run loss of output in Britain of around 4% compared to remaining in the European Union, according to the UK Office for Budget Responsibility, which produces economic forecasts for the government. Exports and imports will be around 15% lower in the long run.

100 days later, Brexit isn't working and business wants it fixed
https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/12/business/brexit-trade-100-days/index.html

N
That's not what we are hearing here. British exports of food goods have floundered and small businesses have ceased all exports because of paperwork and expense. All you succeeded in doing is to isolate yourself and doom Britain to 3rd world status in a decade. Good going.

Johnson's Brexit deal made no provision for financial services, an industry that accounts for almost 11% of government tax revenue and 1.1 million jobs, according to PwC and the Office for National Statistics.
Prospects for an agreement that would grant Britain the same market access rights as some other non-EU countries look slim, and that could further undermine London's position as Europe's top financial city.
Since the referendum, international financial services firms have migrated almost £1.3 trillion ($1.8 trillion) worth of assets and relocated 7,600 jobs from Britain to the European Union, according to data tracked by EY. Amsterdam has already overtaken London as Europe's top share trading center.
Long-term consequences
Leaving the EU single market means the end of frictionless trade and higher costs for UK companies, even once they have adjusted to the new way of doing business.
"It's important to recognize that there are some teething troubles, but there are also troubles to come as the long-term consequences of making commerce more difficult come home to roost," said Winters.
That will knock foreign direct investment into the United Kingdom over time because companies wanting to serve the European market will no longer choose to base themselves in Britain, he added.

The new trading relationship is expected to lead to a long-run loss of output in Britain of around 4% compared to remaining in the European Union, according to the UK Office for Budget Responsibility, which produces economic forecasts for the government. Exports and imports will be around 15% lower in the long run.

100 days later, Brexit isn't working and business wants it fixed
https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/12/business/brexit-trade-100-days/index.html
Honestly mate , there is no impact from Brexit ( at least any negative effects are balanced by positive effects....like our market is more accessible to British producers than EU producers)...there is no shortage of anything and the vaccine situation proves we are better at running our own affairs rather than letting some weird Belgium geezer run them. Thanks for caring though bud...hopefully Biden won’t completely **** your economy in the arse.🙂

Don't use CNN as your “news” source mate...complete bollox like the BBC.

British exports of food goods have floundered and small businesses have ceased all exports because of paperwork and expense.

But imports are even more down than exports, meaning other British businesses are replacing EU made goods.

There are also thousands of EU finance houses setting up business in the UK :

"1,000 EU finance firms 'set to open UK offices"

So don't be fooled by bitter Remainers trolling up every bit of bad news about Brexit.

Brexit was never about the benefits or otherwise to businessmen. It was all about excessive immigration into the UK of mainly Eastern Europeans into the UK who were taking jobs away from the locals, keeping the wages lower of less skilled Brits, putting upward pressure on rents and filling up schools/hospitals etc to the detriment of locals. The UK was not allowed by EU freedom of movement rules to stop this excessive immigration.

Immigration from the EU is sharply down. Immigration of mostly students (who bring in capital) is sharply up, as is immigration of people with skills that Britain needs.

Unemployment in the EU is more than 50% higher than in the UK. Working class Brits have succeeded spectacularly in forcing the British government to execute Brexit.

Brexit has been a huge success and British people who were previously against Brexit, are now in favour :

But imports are even more down than exports, meaning other British businesses are replacing EU made goods.

There are also thousands of EU finance houses setting up business in the UK :

"1,000 EU finance firms 'set to open UK offices"

So don't be fooled by bitter Remainers trolling up every bit of bad news about Brexit.

Brexit was never about the benefits or otherwise to businessmen. It was all about excessive immigration into the UK of mainly Eastern Europeans into the UK who were taking jobs away from the locals, keeping the wages lower of less skilled Brits, putting upward pressure on rents and filling up schools/hospitals etc to the detriment of locals. The UK was not allowed by EU freedom of movement rules to stop this excessive immigration.

Immigration from the EU is sharply down. Immigration of mostly students (who bring in capital) is sharply up, as is immigration of people with skills that Britain needs.

Unemployment in the EU is more than 50% higher than in the UK. Working class Brits have succeeded spectacularly in forcing the British government to execute Brexit.

Brexit has been a huge success and British people who were previously against Brexit, are now in favour :

Over 400 financial firms in Britain have shifted activities, staff and a combined trillion pounds ($1.4 trillion) in assets to hubs in the European Union due to Brexit

The study expects that 300 to 500 smaller EU financial firms may open a permanent office in Britain, far fewer than the prevailing forecasts of around 1,000.

But that of course does not mean London as a financial center is dead.. but its influence is most certainly reduced.

This guy quite well mirrors my opinion on the NI issue.
Johnson is simply not trustworthy. He always acts after the rule "I don´t give a **** about my promises from yesterday"

Johnson is simply not trustworthy. He always acts after the rule "I don´t give a **** about my promises from yesterday"

Hehe I see you watch his videos too. He is a good starting source, but as always confirm with other sources 👍

Meanwhile the City's Brexit losses keep mounting. It's a pretty big "oops" to say "Oh dear! the City of London just lost $1.4 trillion in assets to the EU because we didn't know Brexit would do this! Then there's the 7000 jobs transferred to European offices.. So much sovereignty!

The whole NI thing was set up on the basis that if the Brits didn’t comply then the IRA would carry out terror attacks again. Can you imagine if German border policy was based on appeasing the Badger Meinhof gang? **** the IRA and **** those that bow to them.

It is entirely up to the NI people to which country they belong...but the Irish get the best deal....did you know Irish citizens can just live in the U.K. but I can’t just move to Ireland ? They have a great deal with us already, they can live in Britain or Ireland...the Irish can even claim U.K. benefits and join our armed forces.

We’re really busy at work and I’m still not hungry. The only problems in the U.K. economy are caused by the government reaction to Covid.

Brexit meant we had the best vaccine roll out in Europe.

But that of course does not mean London as a financial center is dead.. but its influence is most certainly reduced.

What a silly claim to make with 1 000 EU financial firms already having applied to open offices in the UK.

"About 1,000 EU-based financial services firms have applied for permission to open their first offices in the UK because of Brexit, according to official data obtained under the Freedom of Information (FOI) Act."

It's hard to cover up a 41% drop in UK exports

It's hard not to notice that those gloating over a 40% drop in UK exports to the EU in January have been deathly quiet on the latest news about UK February exports to the EU :

"The ONS points out that marks a 47% increase from the previous month"

To add to this good news, imports from the EU are still low :

"However, imports from the EU are yet to significantly rebound"

....which means, of course, that British producers/manufacturers are replacing those from the EU.

Back
Top Bottom