• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How to tell if you’re an idiot

SNOWFLAKE

Crazy Canuck
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
I know the following is a bit dated, but DAMN, the article and it's author sure knows how to recognize an idiot. Enjoy reading the following:

There are two kinds of people in this world: those who see a problem and try to find a solution, and those who have a solution and try to make the problem fit it. Those of the second type are idiots. You may be one.
To begin with, disabuse yourself of the notion that being an idiot has anything to do with intelligence or education. In the present context, the term “idiot” simply means a person who is unable to recognize and assimilate facts that conflict with pre-determined opinions.
At a rough estimate, I’d say 30 to 40 percent of the population — a number that correlates remarkably well with President Trump’s base of support. Of course I draw no conclusions from that — wouldn’t dream of it.

So, how can you tell if you are one of this benighted numbers? Here’s a quick quiz:

1. Do you believe the Earth is only 6,000 years old?
  2. Do you believe global warming is a myth?
  3. Do you believe a free press is “the enemy of the people?”
  4. Do you believe the solution to too many guns is more guns?
  5. Do you believe the “prayer handkerchiefs” or vials of “holy water” offered by televangelists will actually put you in touch with God?
  6. Do you believe the U.S. was founded as a specifically Christian nation?
  7. Do you believe, even secretly, that “white” people are superior to all others?
  8. Do you believe being gay is catching?
  9. Do you believe your particular set of religious dogmas are the ultimate laws of the universe?
  10. (Bonus question for Catholics) Do you believe the House of the Dormition of the Virgin in Loreto, Italy was actually flown across the Mediterranean in 1291 from the Holy Land by angels to save it from the Turks?
If you answered yes to any of these questions with the possible exception of #6, you are an idiot, and should voluntarily refrain from important affairs such as the process of national politics. Regarding #6, a yes might not mean you are an idiot. It might simply mean you are bone ignorant of U.S. history and have been filling the gap from right wing and evangelical web sites. You still shouldn’t vote. You are not equipped for the responsibility. And no… on second thought you ARE an idiot.

This thread might get moved but couldn't think of a more appropriate location to post this. Go ahead, say it..............

From Salon:

"Conspiracy theories are a lazy person's intellectualism. They make a person feel smart without actually having to put in the hard work of learning things and growing. Blowing smoke about how you have superior knowledge to the "sheeple" because you heard a conspiracy theory on the internet? That's a cheap thrill."

5. Do you believe the “prayer handkerchiefs” or vials of “holy water” offered by televangelists will actually put you in touch with God?
  7. Do you believe, even secretly, that “white” people are superior to all others?
  9. Do you believe your particular set of religious dogmas are the ultimate laws of the universe?
  10. (Bonus question for Catholics) Do you believe the House of the Dormition of the Virgin in Loreto, Italy was actually flown across the Mediterranean in 1291 from the Holy Land by angels to save it from the Turks?
Aren't these questions a bit idiotic?

1. Do you believe the world is going to destroy itself in 8 years if we don't take drastic measures to fix climate change (as if that is fixable)
2. Do you believe the universe was unintentionally caused by mindless forces that didn't care if a universe or life existed?
3. Do you think the USA was primarily a heathen nation?
4. Do you believe former men should compete in women's sports and share locker rooms?
5. Do you think 'no one is above the law'?
6. Do you think only whites can be racist?
7. Do you believe AOC when she says she saw people drink out of toilets in retention centers at the border (during Trump of course)

1. Do you believe the world is going to destroy itself in 8 years if we don't take drastic measures to fix climate change (as if that is fixable)
2. Do you believe the universe was unintentionally caused by mindless forces that didn't care if a universe or life existed?
4. Do you believe former men should compete in women's sports and share locker rooms?
7. Do you believe AOC when she says she saw people drink out of toilets in retention centers at the border (during Trump of course)
🤣😂🤣

Tsk tsk, here we go again folks. Well, WHATABOUT you folks??

No, I don't believe the world will be destroyed in 8 years, unless there is a nuclear war, because I am NOT an idiot.
Mindless forces? I could say something about mindless forces, but I will refrain.
Heathen country? YIKES. I don't even want to go there. So if the Natives worshiped sun gods they were heathen? Talk about idiotic.
No I do NOT believe men should compete in women's sport, see how easy I can answer a challenge? I don't hide behind whatabout you guys.
No one is above the law, NOT EVEN TRUMP. Sorry, that was a dumb question.
Blacks, Hispanics, Orientals can all be racist. What exactly is your point?? Because the person next to me might be racist it's ok for me to be that way too??
I don't know if AOC knows something I don't know, DO YOU KNOW IF SHE IS WRONG???

So, if anyone here has just witnessed this exchange, they must be wondering why someone had to create a fix for a problem that doesn't exist rather than try to fix a problem that does exist.......
There are two kinds of people in this world: those who see a problem and try to find a solution, and those who have a solution and try to make the problem fit it. Those of the second type are idiots. You may be one.

I know the following is a bit dated, but DAMN, the article and it's author sure knows how to recognize an idiot. Enjoy reading the following:

This thread might get moved but couldn't think of a more appropriate location to post this. Go ahead, say it..............
Idiot, spelled, Liberal!

1) No, and no scientist will tell you that.
2) There is no evidence to support the universe was created, or that it even has a beginning
3) What does this even mean? The land the US is on was originally populated by non-christians, and the state has always been separate from the church.
4) I could not care less about sports
5) Another unclear question. No one is de jure above the law, but the rich and powerful can hire better lawyers/bribe the supreme court.
6) No. Racism isn’t a white problem, it’s a human problem (just look at ethnic conflicts outside of America for proof).
7) I don’t believe anything a politician says at face value (unlike Trump supporters)

No one cares what an individual believes.

I'm human...I've known for a long time that I'm an idiot who's not nearly as smart as he thinks he is. I have this illusion that because I can use tools, drive cars, use computers, and crack corny jokes that I'm smarter than all of other God's creations. It's the human condition.

I'm human...I've known for a long time that I'm an idiot who's not nearly as smart as he thinks he is. I have this illusion that because I can use tools, drive cars, use computers, and crack corny jokes that I'm smarter than all of other God's creations. It's the human condition.
To be honest, I bet you are a lot smarter than a certain demographic ;)

1) No, and no scientist will tell you that.
2) There is no evidence to support the universe was created, or that it even has a beginning
3) What does this even mean? The land the US is on was originally populated by non-christians, and the state has always been separate from the church.
4) I could not care less about sports
5) Another unclear question. No one is de jure above the law, but the rich and powerful can hire better lawyers/bribe the supreme court.
6) No. Racism isn’t a white problem, it’s a human problem (just look at ethnic conflicts outside of America for proof).
7) I don’t believe anything a politician says at face value (unlike Trump supporters)

The point was its not hard to create a list of loaded questions.
No scientist will say that, however lots of prominent people on the left (AOC) have suggested if we don't act immediately we're done for. She said in about 12 years 4 years ago.
It is the consensus among most scientists the universe did begin to exist at the big bang. There is lack of evidence it always existed.
I didn't ask if you care about sports.
Lots of people seem to be above the law.
According to many on the left only whites can be racist.

Tsk tsk, here we go again folks. Well, WHATABOUT you folks??

No, I don't believe the world will be destroyed in 8 years, unless there is a nuclear war, because I am NOT an idiot.
Mindless forces? I could say something about mindless forces, but I will refrain.
Heathen country? YIKES. I don't even want to go there. So if the Natives worshiped sun gods they were heathen? Talk about idiotic.
No I do NOT believe men should compete in women's sport, see how easy I can answer a challenge? I don't hide behind whatabout you guys.
No one is above the law, NOT EVEN TRUMP. Sorry, that was a dumb question.
Blacks, Hispanics, Orientals can all be racist. What exactly is your point?? Because the person next to me might be racist it's ok for me to be that way too??
I don't know if AOC knows something I don't know, DO YOU KNOW IF SHE IS WRONG???

So, if anyone here has just witnessed this exchange, they must be wondering why someone had to create a fix for a problem that doesn't exist rather than try to fix a problem that does exist.......

The whatabout is a mockery of a loaded list of questions targeted at some claims made by a particular group of people. I can make a list of wild left wing ideas just as easily.

who believes?

To begin with, disabuse yourself of the notion that being an idiot has anything to do with intelligence or education.
You really do bring out the pedantic in me. I just have to disagree with you on this definition of an idiot. Instead the author should have used the word stupid.

Idiot is a absence of intelligence and Stupid is a displaying behavior with lack of knowledge and intelligence. As well idiot is a noun, meaning you can call someone an idiot. Where as stupid is an adjective, meaning you can describe somone's thoughts as being stupid which is what your link is doing.

As for anyone who does believe these types of statements mentioned in your link . They are just dumb.

Dumb: definition in modern usage; blockhead bonehead cretin dimwit dork dumbbell dummy dunce fool ignoramus imbecile jerk moron nincompoop ninny numskull pinhead simpleton.

I just have to disagree with you on this definition of an idiot.
Wasn't my definition. I quoted from a link.
As for anyone who does believe these types of statements mentioned in your link . They are just dumb.
Yet, there are those, who, even living in the US, DO believe some of those statements. That is the sad part.

Wasn't my definition. I quoted from a link.

Yet, there are those, who, even living in the US, DO believe some of those statements. That is the sad part.
I did say the author, not you.

In which case I would stick with the modern definition of dumb for them.

I'd shortcut the assessment with one question;

a) Are you a trumper?

Funny list though.

Well? How can you tell? You never said.

Well? How can you tell? You never said.
You missed it. "If you answered yes to any of these questions with the possible exception of #6, you are an idiot, and should voluntarily refrain from important affairs such as the process of national politics. Regarding #6, a yes might not mean you are an idiot. It might simply mean you are bone ignorant of U.S. history and have been filling the gap from right wing and evangelical web sites. You still shouldn’t vote. You are not equipped for the responsibility. And no… on second thought you ARE an idiot."

Wow! Questions a wannabe victim would ask!

The point was its not hard to create a list of loaded questions.
No scientist will say that, however lots of prominent people on the left (AOC) have suggested if we don't act immediately we're done for. She said in about 12 years 4 years ago.
It is the consensus among most scientists the universe did begin to exist at the big bang. There is lack of evidence it always existed.
I didn't ask if you care about sports.
Lots of people seem to be above the law.
According to many on the left only whites can be racist.
Your questions are fundamentally different than the ones asked by OP.

No one thinks the earth will explode if climate change is not addressed. We do believe (with evidence) that we are on the brink of an irreversible feed-back loop. If global temperatures keep raising at current rates, more greenhouse gases (particularly water vapor) will enter the atmosphere. This will heat the earth more, and lead to more greenhouse gasses.

There is no proof to say what happened before the big bang. The current front running theory is Lambda-CDM. It says nothing about events preceding the big bang, or any “beginning” of the universe. This is because there is no observation of any events before the big bang. I am not saying the universe has always existed, I’m saying that either theory (external universe or beginning of the universe) is just as likely with current evidence.

The rules of women’s sports are up to women to decide, go ask the WNBA.

Did you even read my response? “seems to be” is just a better way of saying “I think this without any evidence”. Point out where the US constitution places anyone above the law. Otherwise, it can be chalked up to corruption, better lawyers, or the fact that “white collar” crimes are punished less severely.

According to whom? I can say that many on the right think Joe Biden drinks baby blood, it doesn’t make it true. Pointing to whackos isn’t a response to my argument, it’s an admission you value your preconceptions more than logic or evidence.

Your questions are fundamentally different than the ones asked by OP.
Of course that was the point. Anyone can create a list of loaded questions.

Back
Top Bottom