• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How the Economy Changed: There's No Bargains Left Anywhere

VySky

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
I think regardless of your political affiliation that some of you might find this article interesting.

The OP makes some good points about specifically what has changed.

===================================
What changed in the economy is now nobody can afford to get by on working-class wages because there's no longer any bargains.

The economy has changed in many ways, and it's difficult to track the glacial movements over decades. One change that few seem to recognize or discuss is the disappearance of bargains: cheap rent, cheap meals at hole-in-the-wall restaurants, cheap transport, cheap travel, cheap services--all gone.

Back in the day, even stupidly expensive cities like San Francisco had working-class districts with cheap rent and cheap eats. One reason the hippie movement arose in San Francisco was the availability of cheap places to rent in what many would dismiss as rundown slums or ghettos. There were plenty of working-class hole-in-the-wall restaurants and cafes that served cheap plates of spaghetti, turkey legs and other affordable fare.

The working-class districts in cities have long been gentrified, or more recently, abandoned to homeless encampments. Gentrification eliminates cheap rents, as the soaring valuations of real estate leads the new owners to charge high rents in order to pay their lofty mortgages.

Affordable apartments disappear, and so do affordable small commercial / retail spaces for hole-in-the-wall bookstores (remember when these were commonplace?), cafes, odd little niche retailers, and low-cost services (shoe repair, etc.)

The extermination of low-cost commercial space eliminated many services which are no longer available, a trend that feeds the "waste is growth" Landfill Economy: there's nobody left to repair anything or move second-hand goods, so everything that once could have been repaired or re-used is tossed in the landfill, replaced by a shoddy, crapified replacement product of the global economy.

One person's affordable housing is another person's slum or ghetto. Urban Renewaldestroyed affordable housing and vibrant ethnic neighborhoods, in the name of "improvement" which ended up displacing those who could no longer afford soaring rents.

The end result is many people are spending half or 2/3 of after-tax earnings on rent.Personally, I was only able to work my way through college because there were still nooks and crannies of low-rent dives and rooming houses, and low-cost hole-in-the-wall restaurants and cafes, day-old baked goods outlets, etc

I can make my own hamburger at home for about $1.50. That's not a terrible deal.

Cost of living has gone up as more and more people want to move to and/or live in desirable areas.

Cities expand, suburbs expand…

Been going on since the US has existed.

I think regardless of your political affiliation that some of you might find this article interesting.

Stuff like this is at least part of why:

People are looking for any way to make a buck and are rooting out every place where profit may be had. The result is everyone gets gouged.

Why do you hate the free market and capitalism?

Stuff like this is at least part of why:

People are looking for any way to make a buck and are rooting out every place where profit may be had. The result is everyone gets gouged.
Or automated

It takes less time to make your own burger than it does to go to Wendy's and have them do it for you, and you can do it for 10% of the cost.

LMAO... What makes rent go up?
The mass replacement of Americans by over 60 million foreign citizens since 1965

If you factor the children born because of immigration the US population is likely over 100,000,000 people more then it would be without Hart Sellers

The mass replacement of Americans by over 60 million foreign citizens since 1965

If you factor the children born because of immigration the US population is likely over 100,000,000 people more then it would be without Hart Sellers

Do you think the US would be better off if we had 100,000,000 less people right now?

That is a pretty idiotic take.

Cost of living has gone up as more and more people want to move to and/or live in desirable areas.

Cities expand, suburbs expand…

Been going on since the US has existed.

That's not actually true. Cities and suburbs didn't suddenly become more desirable than the past. And Rent/houses have gotten more expensive nationally in both the city and county.

What actually happened is there was a near total pause to construction during COVID when we were already just barely building houses fast enough to keep up with demand. Partially because of restrictions but largely because the average person's ability to spend money was very limited so construction companies just didn't start new projects.
The primary reason behind the housing shortage is the insufficient production of new homes by home builders.. But several factors have in recent years compounded the housing crisis problem, making it especially acute right now.
The COVID-19 pandemic slowed new housing development through labor shortages and disruptions to the supply of materials. Hedge funds and other institutional investors are buying up many of the few homes on the market for investment rental purposes. And, meanwhile, the population growth is creating more demand and putting yet more pressure on affordability.
And, meanwhile, the population growth is creating more demand and putting yet more pressure on affordability. It could take decades of above-average construction to build enough homes to satisfy the demand for housing.

We just have a total shortage of housing. From the city to the suburbs, across the entire country.

If its not the free market and profit seeking, then what do you believe is the cause?
Who said its not?
Me. I say it's not.

While part of it is retail investors buying homes, the main issue really is just a lack of home. We need to build more family homes but it will take years to build enough to normalize the market.

That's not actually true. Cities and suburbs didn't suddenly become more desirable than the past. And Rent/houses have gotten more expensive nationally in both the city and county.

What actually happened is there was a near total pause to construction during COVID when we were already just barely building houses fast enough to keep up with demand. Partially because of restrictions but largely because the average person's ability to spend money was very limited so construction companies just didn't start new projects.

We just have a total shortage of housing. From the city to the suburbs, across the entire country.

Me. I say it's not.

While part of it is retail investors buying homes, the main issue really is just a lack of home. We need to build more family homes but it will take years to build enough to normalize the market.

If only we had a few hundred thousand people who were willing and able to work in construction, and had the right to work and live here.

Damn... Pretty soon there will be shortage of whiny white men....

Do you think the US would be better off if we had 100,000,000 less people right now?

That is a pretty idiotic take.
Right?

Imagine thinking MORE people working somehow...hurts the economy? Incredible.

If having 100,000,000 more people added to the economy hurts it...does that imply the best possible economy is a country with a single person in it?

If only we had a few hundred thousand people who were willing and able to work in construction, and had the right to work and live here.
If only...

Well too bad no such people exist. No sir. What's that? No no don't look behind my back I'm not hiding ANY immigrant families there I assure you. I'm definitely not spending millions of dollars to make sure we have less people working and contributing to our economy. That would be silly.

Me. I say it's not.

Its not just housing though, that's the thing.

My gut tells me (as reliable as that is) that the hustler and profit at any cost mentality is just seeking out previous deals. One example is that you can see prices for things typically go up before black friday so that companies can claim there is a sale.

If only...

Well too bad no such people exist. No sir. What's that? No no don't look behind my back I'm not hiding ANY immigrant families there I assure you. I'm definitely not spending millions of dollars to make sure we have less people working and contributing to our economy. That would be silly.

Meanwhile, white people sitting around complaining about how much it costs to have someone else make their hamburger, and lamenting the costs of homes, while being afraid of lazy immigrants coming to steal all their jobs and rape their women.

Its not just housing though, that's the thing.
I have no doubt, as the economy is very complex. That said what do you mean by this? Are you talking about inflation broadly?

You, with the whole "projection" post
You don't understand projection.

Let me help

My post does not in any way state that I 'hate the free market and capitalism'

But I can understand why @BlueTex would yet project his feelings on others.

You don't understand projection.

Let me help

My post does not in any way state that I 'hate the free market and capitalism'

But I can understand why @BlueTex would yet project his feelings on others.

I am sorry you have not been able to compete in the free market successfully. You should probably live in one of the backwater states with little demand.... :ROFLMAO:

Back
Top Bottom