• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How Should We Teach History?

jpn

Retired Navy Commander
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
What should students be taught about slavery and racism in the US?

Of course what we teach 7-year-olds is different from 16-year-olds, so let's make the question about High School. How should the nation's history be characterized in their history classes, in general?

Here's a number line in order to provide a rough means of placing your opinion. I'm going with 7. I believe kids today receive a version closer to 3, and that's here in blue Seattle. Kids in Texas or Mississippi probably get something closer to 0 or 1. Or am I wrong?
1623518337032.png

Of course what we teach 7-year-olds is different from 16-year-olds, so let's make the question about High School. How should the nation's history be characterized in their history classes, in general?

Here's a number line in order to provide a rough means of placing your opinion. I'm going with 7. I believe kids today receive a version closer to 3, and that's here in blue Seattle. Kids in Texas or Mississippi probably get something closer to 0 or 1. Or am I wrong?
View attachment 67337572
We should teach History, that it was a naughty, naughty boy.

Honestly...

Let’s be real here. What was it? World History 7th grade and US History 8th? I can’t remember

Point being. Is there any of us that let those 2 courses shape who we are?

Of course not.

View attachment 67337572
I think we should just teach the facts, and allow kids to develop their own conclusions. If the facts indeed show that our nation is deeply flawed, then they should be able to arrive to that conclusion themselves.

Fact and reality-based
anything else is something, not history

no need to sugarcoat things
in our history the evil comes with the good and that pendulum is still swinging . . . . .

View attachment 67337572
Imo, history should be taught across that number line. I can point out aspects of every number in America's history, or world history. I think the correct answer to your question is that history should be taught truthfully.

When we live to our constitutional principles, we are the most wonderful country in the world.

When we don't, we aren't.

I believe in teaching history with equal respect but including ALL the facts. The more perspectives, the better, but all need to be included.

BTW, I go with 5.

I teach American history to my little ones. I go through the American timeline starting with Pocahontas all the way through the current year. The kids love it. I have former students who come back to tell me that it was their favorite part of my class and they remember so much about history from our little lessons. ♥️♥️

Reading these replies no one would know there is great controversy over how history should be taught in the US.

I teach American history to my little ones. I go through the American timeline starting with Pocahontas all the way through the current year. The kids love it. I have former students who come back to tell me that it was their favorite part of my class and they remember so much about history from our little lessons. ♥️♥️
The Tulsa race massacre, Jefferson's children with his slaves, Jim Crow, blacks being excluded from the GI Bill, voter suppression. All of it. Huh.

Reading these replies no one would know there is great controversy over how history should be taught in the US.

The Tulsa race massacre, Jefferson's children with his slaves, Jim Crow, blacks being excluded from the GI Bill, voter suppression. All of it. Huh.

Well, they’re 6 years old so I’m not going to teach them about murders or raping slaves. I do teach them about slavery, Jim Crow, civil rights, etc.

Let’s be real here. What was it? World History 7th grade and US History 8th? I can’t remember
Point being. Is there any of us that let those 2 courses shape who we are?
Of course not.
I didn't learn about the Tulsa race massacre or systematic exclusion of Blacks from federal aid like the GI Bill until recently. That ignorance helped shape who I was, and the knowledge shapes who I am.

We're all shaped by what we know and what we don't know. Thus the importance of the question. Just ask Southerners about the importance of their statues and flags.

Well, they’re 6 years old so I’m not going to teach them about murders or raping slaves. I do teach them about slavery, Jim Crow, civil rights, etc.
I said High Schoolers in my OP. I'm sure you stress to your kids to Read The Question.

I said High Schoolers in my OP. Maybe you missed that part.

And I chose to give my personal teaching experience.

And I chose to give my personal teaching experience
How convenient for you. Do you have any opinions about what the topic of this thread?

It’s my impression that there isn’t time to do anything other than “hit the high notes” with history. We had US History in high school and either the instructor was no good or I was focusing on other things. Pearls before swine kind of thing if yo ask me.

My mother got a good foundation established, Greeks/Persians, Romans/Everyone else. It wasn’t until much later that I realized that there was so much that I did not know. I am still learning to this day. DP has been a big factor in the ‘thirst’ for knowledge..

I didn't learn about the Tulsa race massacre or systematic exclusion of Blacks from federal aid like the GI Bill until recently. That ignorance helped shape who I was, and the knowledge shapes who I am.

We're all shaped by what we know and what we don't know. Thus the importance of the question. Just ask Southerners about the importance of their statues and flags.

Sounds like you're learning to feel an adequate amount of shame.

Good.

Very good.

After you do that.....you'll be expected to feel a little more.(y)

:p
:rolleyes:

Reactions: jpn

Knowing what you know now would you change any of your past decisions?

How convenient for you. Do you have any opinions about what the topic of this thread?

Yes, I just gave them. I don't teach high school. I don't even know the current high school curricula so I can't comment on if they're any good or not. In short, I think all aspects of history - the good and the bad - should be taught in schools from a young age.

How should we teach history?
How about "honestly".
Sounds so simple. It should be even easier to teach science honestly. Like, you know, evolution and climate change.

How will conservative/Republican school districts want the 2020 election portrayed?

1623551858080.png

Last edited:
latta plantation.jpg

this juneteenth event was cancelled because it was not black-centric enough

seems how the end of the war impacted white southerners was not worthy of being included in the event

Sounds so simple. It should be even easier to teach science honestly. Like, you know, evolution and climate change.

How will conservative/Republican school districts want the 2020 election portrayed?

View attachment 67337691
Those numbers do not bode well for the GOP in 2024 if they are correctly assessing beliefs.

Back
Top Bottom