• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How many more illegal migrants should we allow in through the border?

How many more illegal migrants should we accept?

• No more. Legal immigration only

• 1 million

• 5 million

• 10 million

• 100 million

• 1 billion

• Unlimited

Results are only viewable after voting.
Lol, your posts don't contain the wisdom and knowledge one would expect with age.

I WILL NOT do your work for you. You do it.
It is easy to find .
Hint, use a search engine.

I never said a time period has a positive effect on anything. I said we must consider over what time span to allow how many.
Honest, you are not able to express yourself nor understand the debate.

2,000,000 migrants is perfect over 1 year.
It is too many in one month. Too few for 2 years.

What on earth is so confusing to you?
Your poll does not take any time frame into account hence it can't be replied to by anyone who thinks it through.
Obviously you don't know what you're talking about, asking me to search for your answer. Either you understand what you're saying or you don't. And if you do share it in your own words, not a link to words of another.

I DID NOT CREATE THE POLL.

Do you understand how humans resource is directly linked to GDP hence migration is imperative?
The only discussion is what is the best number over what period to grow the economy.

As to your silly retirement quip, keep your mind active.
The real question is "DO YOU?"

Try making some reasoned and rational sense in what you post, and attempts to denigrate don't really help.

We we're supposed to be a government of laws NOT men. There need to be the same application of consequences for breaking our laws, regardless of which party is in control of our government.
Yes, and the laws made by men and treaties signed by men oblige us to hear asylum claims and not return people to danger. Change or rid of them if you don’t like them.

Yes, and the laws made by men and treaties signed by men oblige us to hear asylum claims and not return people to danger. Change or rid of them if you don’t like them.

Not everyone entering illegally is seeking refuge from danger, and if they legitimately were/are, entry should first be gained legally.

That's what we're trying to do, some of us at least.

Not everyone entering illegally is seeking refuge from danger,
True, and it’s our obligation to sort out the “wheat from the chaff,” as one immigration official put it to me when I worked in the field.
and if they legitimately were/are, entry should first be gained legally.
That is not what the US law says. They can apply for asylum “irrespective of (their immigration) status” at a border or from within the US. In their wisdom, those who made the laws recognized that people first flee, second decide in which direction, and then may be lied to or exploited by smugglers, that they even may be unaware of what asylum is. This stuff was based on the history of the irregular flight of those fleeing the Nazis and later those who fled communism. Two of the “righteous gentiles” honored by Jews are Raoul Wallenberg and Aristide Mendez, who put together phony documents to save quite a few people. Mendez got fired from his job as a Portuguese diplomat as a result.
That's what we're trying to do, some of us at least.
Here’s a funny example of a case I worked on. Guy from Somalia fleeing with his young son (who tragically died on the journey) got enough money to get a flight to New Zealand, where he had heard that country welcomed Somalis. I don’t know if that is true, but he was told that by others and wound up detained by US officials when he landed in San Diego with what he thought was a ticket to Aukland. The agent in Italy had sold him a ticket to Oakland by mistake — first US stop was San Diego.

Doesn't matter. If the USA does not let everybody in they are accused of racism and all sorts of other insults...

And what is funny, and hypocritical, is that these millions want to come to the USA for a better life...

None whatsoever.

Illegals should be arrested and swiftly deported to their countries of origin.

People who come legally and apply through intense paperwork would be the stupid ones if illegals can just sneak in like that.

True, and it’s our obligation to sort out the “wheat from the chaff,” as one immigration official put it to me when I worked in the field.
That should be initiated at a legal entry point.

That is not what the US law says. They can apply for asylum “irrespective of (their immigration) status” at a border or from within the US. In their wisdom, those who made the laws recognized that people first flee, second decide in which direction, and then may be lied to or exploited by smugglers, that they even may be unaware of what asylum is. This stuff was based on the history of the irregular flight of those fleeing the Nazis and later those who fled communism. Two of the “righteous gentiles” honored by Jews are Raoul Wallenberg and Aristide Mendez, who put together phony documents to save quite a few people. Mendez got fired from his job as a Portuguese diplomat as a result.
Anyone who has gained entry to the U.S. by legal means should be allowed to file for permanent residency or asylum, illegal entry should not be made a burden upon taxpayers.

Here’s a funny example of a case I worked on. Guy from Somalia fleeing with his young son (who tragically died on the journey) got enough money to get a flight to New Zealand, where he had heard that country welcomed Somalis. I don’t know if that is true, but he was told that by others and wound up detained by US officials when he landed in San Diego with what he thought was a ticket to Aukland. The agent in Italy had sold him a ticket to Oakland by mistake — first US stop was San Diego.
My Daughter has a friend whose Mother is stuck in Korea as she has no passport and therefore unable to get a flight home. Not sure how she got to Korea to begin with but has been working there for many years sending money home to her Daughter who is now staying with my Daughter.

Elections are won/lost based on issues. The more issues needing to be solved gives politicians the ability to determine which issues they can use to get enough votes to win, and democracy gives them an excuse for not actually solving any of the issues that got them elected.

We should end the wave of illegal immigration and asylum-seeking by passing Senator Lankford's immigration bill, instead of defunding the border police like Donald Trump wants.

If that causes a labor shortage, then we should happily accept more legal immigrants from non-asylum paths.

That's step one. Step two is to start random checks of businesses. Hit any found employing illegal immigrants with crippling fines. If illegal immigrants can't get jobs, they'll stop coming here.

Your boy Donald Trump closed the border as a Republican president when he had a complete Republican Congress for two full years. Didn't you hear?
LOL my boy? Youre the one who keeps voting for him.
I am a life long Republican but educated not a moronic MAGA cultist or liberal.
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
I hate america? America is made up of all different kinds of people, you and your ilk are the ones who want to put an end to it. You hate america and we really do get it. Your white america is long gone and we are working on becoming that more perfect union, like it or not.
LOL where have I advocated for a white America since it never existed. You and youre ilk are so full of hate you want to destroy our institutions just to one up those who vote differently than you. Youre everything MLK stood against.

you have a weird system

support trump
deny it
tell others they support trump
you have a weird system

support trump

deny it

you have a weird system

support trump

deny it

deny your support all you want and they play that weird game.

now, repeat what i just said and change a word or two.

The US is 40 trillion in debt...and adding another trillion every 100 days. We have an epidemic of homelessness across the country. The majority minority communities in the major cities are dealing with epidemic levels of violence, domestic abuse, illiteracy, child abuse, sexual assault, and every other social ill that is brought on by extreme poverty. Our cities are crumbling. Our infrastructure is stagnant at best. The education systems in our major cities are so badly run that in cities like Baltimore they cant find a single student that can pass a basic English and Math proficiency exam. Housing costs continue to climb. Inflation has driven up the cost of basics like food massively. Fentanyl addiction is killing 113,000 people a year. Drug addiction deaths overall are at all time highs.

The words alone dont do it justice. You have to see the pictures and videos of the devastation in some communities to really get a feel for just how bad it is. City parks full of homeless encampments. Streets lined with homeless tents, tarp shelters, broken down campers and motor homes for miles in a row. Some neighborhoods in big cities look like scenes from the walking dead with drug addicted zombies in stupor...unable to move, yet maintaining enough balance to stay upright.

People say we are the richest nation in the world but thats simply not true. Some of our people are very rich and most of even our low income people earn more than some people do around the world...but much of that 'income' comes in the form of government handouts that our future great grandchildren will have to pay.

A nations immigration policy should reflect the nations needs and capacity first and foremost. We cannot sustain our own population, let alone 30-40 million more. Its not a question of being uncaring...its a question of practical reality.

Obviously you don't know what you're talking about, asking me to search for your answer. Either you understand what you're saying or you don't. And if you do share it in your own words, not a link to words of another.

I DID NOT CREATE THE POLL.

I did, the GOP and Dems agreed that 2,000 000 immigrants a year was about right. This is based on the forecasts of economists tasked with estimating given a 3.5% GDP growth target.

This is why both sides agreed until Trump stepped in to leave the boarder in chaos.

The real question is "DO YOU?"

Very much so. I have boundless intellectual curiosity and always promised myself I would continue my education after retirement and I have.
Not to pursue further degrees but for my own edification.
With online courses now available it is very easy and you can study with the best. I am currently taking a neuroscience course from a Yale professor for example.

I voted UNLIMITED.

No one in Congress and no one in the White House, in my lifetime, has ever fessed up any ideas or proffered any real plans to stop illegal migration into the United States.

So, all those folks, that we the people have placed in power, have tacitly approved an unlimited number coming in.

You and youre ilk are so full of hate you want to destroy our institutions just to one up those who vote differently than you. Youre everything MLK stood against.

Now remind me, who was it that tried to turn justice into lawfare, "fixed" and corrupted the court?

That should be initiated at a legal entry point.
I believe that might work, that is, setting up camps near the border to adjudicate asylum claims in cases of mass migration. If it were done quickly and the unworthy sent back, it would likely deter frivolous claims. But setting up and staffing such a system would be enormously expensive and politically difficult.
Anyone who has gained entry to the U.S. by legal means should be allowed to file for permanent residency or asylum, illegal entry should not be made a burden upon taxpayers.
Those granted asylum can do so. As I noted, for good reasons the law does not bar asylum consideration depending on mode of entry.
My Daughter has a friend whose Mother is stuck in Korea as she has no passport and therefore unable to get a flight home. Not sure how she got to Korea to begin with but has been working there for many years sending money home to her Daughter who is now staying with my Daughter.

Elections are won/lost based on issues. The more issues needing to be solved gives politicians the ability to determine which issues they can use to get enough votes to win, and democracy gives them an excuse for not actually solving any of the issues that got them elected.
Issue and personalities. I doubt that many working class folks will voted for Trump because he was unfriendly to workers issues when in office.

I did, the GOP and Dems agreed that 2,000 000 immigrants a year was about right. This is based on the forecasts of economists tasked with estimating given a 3.5% GDP growth target.

This is why both sides agreed until Trump stepped in to leave the boarder in chaos.
The GDP will grow about that much or more with or without any immigrants.

Back
Top Bottom