• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How long will Trumpism last?

When will Trumpism fade?

• Total voters
This is definitely the correct answer. The hate, the racism that MAGA absolutely loves was a staple of Limbaugh's following.

I think the open racism, hate, dysfunction, and party-before-country attitude really started with Newt Gingrich.

That doesn't make sense.
Actually, it does make sense. He is talking about TDS.

images.jpg

BUT someone has to light the fuse, and someone did.
That doesn't make it an -ism. "Ism" implies shared beliefs, practices, goals. If the goal is to con the American people into voting against their own interests in order to make rich people richer, that's not an Ism. It didn't start with Trump and share as hell won't end with him.

This is not a poll about whether you love Trump like he is your Savior or whether you hate Trump with passion.

Americans are stuck with Trumpism. Should he win the next election, it will be with you all for another decade (my guess). If he loses, it may fade by the next election cycle. Or not. Depending if Trump takes the loss poorly and decides to try his luck again in 2028.

Being stuck with Trumpism, there is a belief that "this too shall pass." Just like McCarthyism passed. Like Reaganism passed. Ok, just like Obamaism has passed (despite the comics on here who believe it is Obama running the White House, not Biden).

It has to pass eventually, though some might say it won't. That Trumpism will survive Trump and become a movement.

I have my guess. Trumpism will diminish only after Trump has passed away. Even detoothed, and aging out in Mar something or other, as long as he is breathing, there will be Trumpism. BUT, that is just my guess.

I am interested in YOUR guess.
It's not about Trumpism. It's about the voters getting tired of status quo establishment politics in both parties. After Trump wins the 2024 election, he will be done in four years, however the anti-status quo movement will live on. Perhaps your angst will move on to Desantis at that point.

There you go. Do not Trumpers share the beliefs, practices and goals of Trump?
I’m done. You chopped off the rest, that says something different. In fact, I think I might be done, forever. Unless policy becomes something that anyone wants to talk about, again.

This is not a poll about whether you love Trump like he is your Savior or whether you hate Trump with passion.

Americans are stuck with Trumpism. Should he win the next election, it will be with you all for another decade (my guess). If he loses, it may fade by the next election cycle. Or not. Depending if Trump takes the loss poorly and decides to try his luck again in 2028.

Being stuck with Trumpism, there is a belief that "this too shall pass." Just like McCarthyism passed. Like Reaganism passed. Ok, just like Obamaism has passed (despite the comics on here who believe it is Obama running the White House, not Biden).

It has to pass eventually, though some might say it won't. That Trumpism will survive Trump and become a movement.

I have my guess. Trumpism will diminish only after Trump has passed away. Even detoothed, and aging out in Mar something or other, as long as he is breathing, there will be Trumpism. BUT, that is just my guess.

Trumpism and the fascism it rode in on won't leave for a decade. Stupid can't read a calendar nor does stupid care.

Trumpism in terms of style. It'll last about 2 to 3 election cycles after he is finished in politics (so either starting after 2024 or 2028). Ben Shapiro is right that Trump's superpower is he's basically a stand-up comedian, which is what helps him get away with his style. Very few people can match it, or even understand it, which is why a lot of the “trump style” angry, aggressive, fighting types haven't done nearly as well or had near the staying power. When he's gone, this style will die away as people realize it's not viable. At best you'll have a handful of MTG crazies in safe districts or DeSantis types who “fight” but aren't crass and rude.

Trumpism in regards to the populist brand of the republican party? That's probably sticking around for another 10-15 years or so as the dominant strain, depending on this election. Once the party infrastructure changes over, as it now has done, and the new “establishment” forms (face it folks, Trump IS the “establishment” now), it remains entrenched for some time. Look at the neoconservatism that ran the party up till 2016-ish. However, similar to that period, I expect a grass roots counter insurgency from another wing of conservatism to grow 5 or so years after Trump leaves the scene

I’m done. You chopped off the rest, that says something different. In fact, I think I might be done, forever. Unless policy becomes something that anyone wants to talk about, again.
Dude...I too have had Libbies quote me out of context. They do this sort of thing all the time. Hell they're still trying to push the narrative that Trump called for a "bloodbath" if he loses.

I've come to the conclusion that these TDS tortured souls will do anything to stop Trump and consolidate power. They can lie and cheat with no problem at all because, they have no real moral grounding. Their "morality" exists on a slide rule. It's a moving target that can easily be shifted to excuse just about anything.

Which is why honest folks like us must continue to remind them...that we see them clearly and they will not destroy our nations.

As in most personality cults, once the leader has passed, so does the cult.

We have to look at history. Because we are talking about today's conservatives, we are talking about a people who consistently push agendas that they rarely think through. I could talk of all their busted ideologies since Reagan, largely since 9/11, but let's focus on only "Trumpism," which may not be as temporary as past idiocy.

Trumpism isn't so new. According to the official definition: "Trumpism is an authoritarian political movement that follows the political ideologies associated with Donald Trump and his political base." We have seen this mood before, especially during times where global events have sent Americans into a mindless panic. But what is new about Trumpism is that this is happening in an era where Republican guard rails have been dismantled (they decided in the early 1980s that they will no longer have "super-delegates," which both Parties used to keep the populists out of the White House). Examples of America's populists (and DO NOT get hung up on Party, because this was a time when both Parties were still "big tents," which roughly ran between 1890 and the 1960s, and both held conservatives and liberals):

Henry Ford: Railed against Jews, Boslheviks, Bankers and was actually admired by Hitler in Mein Kampf. He was also widely admired in the U.S. and began to lead over Harding and Hoover in the race. The Democratic Party, with the help of Republican leaders, rejected him as a contender.

Father Charles Coughlin: Antisemitic, called for the abolition of political parties, questioned the values of elections, hated the New Deal, and pro-fascist. He often defended the Third Reich and admired Mussolini in his magazine. He was also immensely popular. He was described as being more influential than FDR. He was locked out by both Parties.

Huey Long: Louisiana governor and Senator. A clear demagogue and described by contemporaries as a Peron. He flouted the rule of law and used bribes/threats/blackmail to coerce legislature, judges, and the press. When asked why he behaves like this he replied that "I am the Constitution." He built a massive following as a populist with his call to redistribute all wealth. His Share the Wealth movement had 27,000 cells across the nation before he decided to run for President in 1934. The Parties didn't have to lock him out. He was assassinated in 1935.

Joseph McCarthy: At the height of his popularity, nearly half of the U.S. approved of his anti-communist antics. Even after he was censured by the Senate in 1954 for being unhinged, the Gallup polls show that Americans supported him by 40%. But for years he was told that a run for the Office was impossible because he would be rejected by the Parties as a viable (Article II) candidate.

George Wallace: A segregationist who was criticized for running a campaign of hate and rage with a casual disregard for constitutional norms. He was also very popular among the Middle Class who reacted to his appeals to fight for "victims" of tyranny and economic woe. The Democratic Party locked him out.

Lot going on during this period to send Americans into a mindless panic. Two World Wars, Great Depression, an enduring Red Scare, a nuclear Cold War, Civil Rights Movement, etc. But the Parties' guard rails kept the lunatics out of the White House.

But, now we have Trump, decades after the GOP abandoned the "Super-Delegate" within their Party, after decades of right-wing propaganda shaping voters, and after 9/11 sent them wildly into a panic of revenge and wide-spread hatred. And hate is infectious. Toss a black man into the White House and all of their right-wing cultural fears of losing it all and that old "Lost Cause" of the South went through the roof. Trump pushed right past Republican candidates in 2015, to the dismay of the GOP, which could do nothing about it. Trump, clearly has a thing for authoritarians. Huge disregard for Constitutional norms, and sees it as a hindrance. Sees immigrants as "poisoning the blood." Campaigns on hate and rage. And he is very popular among conservatives. For Christian Nationalists, he is the supposed savior of America who is going to put a wooden cross atop the White House. For the rest of MAGA, he simply fulfills their irrational and mindless need to rage about a world and country that has past them by. This populist can tell his supporters anything they want to hear and they grovel and cling to their delusions of him, despite his constant insults to them, his never-ending contradictions, his betrayal to country, and clear policy failures. The man even sent countless of his own supporters and their family members to their early graves over his Covid games, and the survivors still grovel.

But....no GOP guard rails anymore to protect the people from themselves.

I can't imagine buying into an ideology that only exists to troll its detractors, but you do you.
Exactly.

He is actually saying that it is liberals fault that conservatives support Trump.

Kind of an amazing argument

TDS fuels more Trumpism.

What do you think that says about the mental weakness of Trump loyalists? If they aren't pandering to the latest FOX News host lie, they are just liberal puppets, huh?

Besides that, America fired Trump in 2020, he has even less of a Republican base these days, and even his rallies grow smaller and smaller as the more crazy/malicious among MAGA (Greene, Boebert, DeSantis, Comer, Jordan, etc.) have taken the spotlight as representation of the whole. Thus, "more Trumpism" is not a thing. MAGA is just more desperate to be a majority.

Trumpism has been built around decades of irrational Republican political opposition and obstructionism, around irrationally attacking Democrats as "communists," or "Marxists," or "Fascists," around constantly observing how wrong their own Republicans are about near everything, and the resulting individual temper tantrums of conservatives who lash out to "stick it to a lib" for always being on the correct side of history. The sad thing about this psychological wreckage is that so many of them are oblivious to -or simply do not care- how much damage they have caused the country; and how their blind support is consistently against their own interests. But what really angers me is that they will wrap their BS in an American Flag and package it as "liberty" or "patriotism." Last I checked, those cops on Jan 6, along with the National Guard that showed up afterwards, to protect "liberty" were the "patriots," not MAGA.

Also:

Official definition of TDS = "....a pejorative term mainly used by Trump supporters to discredit criticism of him, as a way of reframing the discussion..."

You see, the Trump derangement has never been about those who simply observe the man and point out universally-understood, proven facts. When people deny and reject universally-understood, proven facts just to worship a highly-immoral, substandard demagogue, who consistently treats them like customers with open wallets, while consistently betraying their country, those people should consider what "derangement" means.

As is so often the case, right-wing accusations are typically just confessions.

Last edited:
This will continue as long as politicians continue to act contrary to the benefit of the public.
Trumpism is all about being contrary to the benefit of the public? How much bogus crap has that grifter tried to tried to foist on the ignorant public? He's tried to pry dollars out of fists with super-hero cards (two rounds), bogus $2 bills, sneakers, bibles and a whole line of clothing all Made In China. I'm sure there's more I forgot about.
Trumpism is about conning the low-functioning right, keep them as angry as possible so they'll pay and pay some more. The benefit of the public? Don't be silly, that's not in the equation.

Trumpism is all about being contrary to the benefit of the public? How much bogus crap has that grifter tried to tried to foist on the ignorant public? He's tried to pry dollars out of fists with super-hero cards (two rounds), bogus $2 bills, sneakers, bibles and a whole line of clothing all Made In China. I'm sure there's more I forgot about.
Trumpism is about conning the low-functioning right, keep them as angry as possible so they'll pay and pay some more. The benefit of the public? Don't be silly, that's not in the equation.
Hmm...
Energy independence
Stay in Mexico
No new wars
Fantastic economy

Are these not real benefits? Yes they are. Tell me...what real benefits has Brandon given the American people?

What is the point of asking a question about a made-up word that you have failed to define?

Hmm...
Energy independence
Stay in Mexico
No new wars
Fantastic economy

Are these not real benefits? Yes they are. Tell me...what real benefits has Brandon given the American people?
Energy independence? What year did the US not import any petrol or electricity? Never happened.
Stay in Mexico? What year was there no illegal immigration? Never happened. And far more illegal entries are being caught now than any Trump year.
No new wars? Afghanistan was bad enough. Trump didn't start that but he didn't get out of it either.
Fantastic economy? Yeah, now! Sucked while Trump was presiding over the COVID fiasco but under Biden' there's been a brilliant recovery.
Trump was all about screwing up and not taking responsibility. For example, America had about three times the COVID death rate as Canada because Trump's confusion was communicated to much of the American public.

Back
Top Bottom