• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How Illegal Aliens get a 'Social Security Number' in their own Name

The Giant Noodle

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Illegal aliens don't need to steal or make up a social security number to give to an employer. There is another less illegal way in which the Government issues them a number.

Step one:

- apply for a Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) from the IRS:

What is an ITIN?

An Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) is a tax processing number issued by the Internal Revenue Service. It is a nine-digit number that always begins with the number 9 and has a 7 or 8 in the fourth digit, example 9XX-7X-XXXX.

IRS issues ITINs to individuals who are required to have a U.S. taxpayer identification number but who do not have, and are not eligible to obtain a Social Security Number (SSN) from the Social Security Administration (SSA).

ITINs are issued regardless of immigration status because both resident and nonresident aliens may have U.S. tax return and payment responsibilities under the Internal Revenue Code.

Individuals must have a filing requirement and file a valid federal income tax return to receive an ITIN, unless they meet an exception.
What is an ITIN used for?

ITINs are for federal tax reporting only, and are not intended to serve any other purpose. An ITIN does not authorize work in the U.S. or provide eligibility for Social Security benefits or the Earned Income Tax Credit. ITINs are not valid identification outside the tax system.

IRS issues ITINs to help individuals comply with the U.S. tax laws, and to provide a means to efficiently process and account for tax returns and payments for those not eligible for Social Security Numbers. - IRS
For good reason, an ITIN card does not look anything like a Social Security card:

So....

Step two:
- Put that valid ITIN number onto a fake Social Security card.

They now have a valid tax number on a Social Security card giving them the 'proof' needed to get a job. (Apparently employers do not check the number, accepting the card as proof enough.)

- No need to use a number stolen from someone else.
- No risk that you are one of many illegal aliens using the same number.
- Peace of mind that the number has been assigned to you.

I have no idea how popular this type of fraud is. I was only recently made aware of the process.

Pretty sneaky eh?

http://fredfryinternational.blogspot.com/2007/09/how-illegal-aliens-get-social-security.html

Last edited:
The fact that this is available on the internet tells me this is probably not a widely used tactic.

I disagree, for the government to change the structure that provides this opportunity would be extremely troublesome and likely not worth changing.

I disagree, for the government to change the structure that provides this opportunity would be extremely troublesome and likely not worth changing.
Ok, I just went through the process to enroll in SNAP. A lot of the red-tape is there to prevent loopholes like this.

SNAP? and how would what goes on with SNAP have anything to do with this? (whudizit?)

It's a federal foodstamp program. There is a mountain of verification to be done to prevent people from taking advantage of the program.

The government DOES give some thought to closing loopholes and I have a hard time believing that the federal government ISNT aware and hasn't done something to combat a tactic that is, apparently, widely-known.

It's a federal foodstamp program. There is a mountain of verification to be done to prevent people from taking advantage of the program.

The government DOES give some thought to closing loopholes and I have a hard time believing that the federal government ISNT aware and hasn't done something to combat a tactic that is, apparently, widely-known.

I think Im going to get my cats hooked up :lol:

Economically it could be prohibitively expensive to close such a loophole and would cause a small degree of confusion and chaos between people in the government. Dunno really.

The fact that this is available on the internet tells me this is probably not a widely used tactic.

I tend to agree with you. Also, an employer asks for a Social Security Number. These are obviously NOT Social Security Numbers, so how are they valid to an employer? It'd sure raise a red flag for me. I wouldn't accept it.

As to closing the loophole, if there is one, aren't employers obliged to get an SSN from their employees? If not, I guess this shows they should. To my knowledge, though, employers require SSNs.

As to closing the loophole, if there is one, aren't employers obliged to get an SSN from their employees? If not, I guess this shows they should. To my knowledge, though, employers require SSNs.

They may not have to run the supposed SSN by law.

Back
Top Bottom