• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

House passes spending bill with Iraq deadline

KidRocks

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
House passes spending bill with Iraq deadline - CNN.com

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The House of Representatives on Friday voted 218-212 to approve a spending bill that includes a firm deadline -- August 31, 2008 -- for combat troops to leave Iraq.

Good for the House, good for the Democrats! :clap: :ind:

President Bush said the House had abdicated its responsibility to protect the troops and denounced the vote as "political theater."

He said the vote had only one outcome: "It delays the delivery of vital resources for our troops."

The measure appears unlikely to pass the Senate.

Two House Republicans -- Reps. Walter Jones of North Carolina and Wayne Gilchrest of Maryland -- voted in favor of the bill. Fourteen Democrats voted against it.

After the bill's passage, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-California, told reporters that voters' voices "have been heard."..

House passes spending bill with Iraq deadline - CNN.com

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The House of Representatives on Friday voted 218-212 to approve a spending bill that includes a firm deadline -- August 31, 2008 -- for combat troops to leave Iraq.

Good for the House, good for the Democrats! :clap: :ind:

President Bush said the House had abdicated its responsibility to protect the troops and denounced the vote as "political theater."

He said the vote had only one outcome: "It delays the delivery of vital resources for our troops."

The measure appears unlikely to pass the Senate.

Two House Republicans -- Reps. Walter Jones of North Carolina and Wayne Gilchrest of Maryland -- voted in favor of the bill. Fourteen Democrats voted against it.

After the bill's passage, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-California, told reporters that voters' voices "have been heard."..

Sorry, KR, just like the non-binding resolution, completely symbolism over substance... It has no way of getting TO President Bush's desk, much less, getting signed... and no way for a veto override... how 'bout they do something worth something...

And how about all the fuqing pork in there? Geez...

Democrats in the HOR voted to give aid and comfort to the enemy, put our troops in danger by cutting off funds, and to cut and run in Iraq....The winning margin on the vote was because the dems put huge pork barrel projects in the bill........Disgusting.......Thank God President Bush will veto this cowardly attempt.

Sorry, KR, just like the non-binding resolution, completely symbolism over substance... It has no way of getting TO President Bush's desk, much less, getting signed... and no way for a veto override... how 'bout they do something worth something...

Looks like Congress is doing the "work of the people" as Navy Pride always claims they should get back to doing......guess he probably doesn't really mean it.

Congress was sent a mandate and I applaud Congress for showing a backbone here.

Looks like Congress is doing the "work of the people" as Navy Pride always claims they should get back to doing......guess he probably doesn't really mean it.

So by vetoing the bill --- Guess that means that King George does not want to do the "work of the people"......whodathunk?

Where's the backbone???? In a sense, all they did was get a poster board from Wal-Mart and wrote 'We hate the Iraq War' on it... what good did it do? If they had backbone, they would have cut off funding for the war or did something else with teeth... this isn't backbone, it's symbolism... pure & simple...

Where's the backbone???? In a sense, all they did was get a poster board from Wal-Mart and wrote 'We hate the Iraq War' on it... what good did it do? If they had backbone, they would have cut off funding for the war or did something else with teeth... this isn't backbone, it's symbolism... pure & simple...

The backbone is that the American public sent a loud message to Washington regarding the war in Iraq. You can't blame the Democrats for passing a bill that they know that GW will veto. The will of the people is to end this war and we have now seen WHO truly is doing the work of the people. Two clear distinctions: GW excalating our troops and Congress trying to bring them home. The bill holds GW accountable because when he vetos this bill he will be sending a clear message back to the American people that we don't give a rats a$$ what you think. Bad news for Republicans.

The backbone is that the American public sent a loud message to Washington regarding the war in Iraq. You can't blame the Democrats for passing a bill that they know that GW will veto. The will of the people is to end this war and we have now seen WHO truly is doing the work of the people. Two clear distinctions: GW excalating our troops and Congress trying to bring them home. The bill holds GW accountable because when he vetos this bill he will be sending a clear message back to the American people that we don't give a rats a$$ what you think. Bad news for Republicans.

So, you admit, it's symbolism not substance...

However, that MIGHT have been true IF they wouldn't have loaded up the bill with a bunch of pork that isn't even germaine to the issue at hand. Instead, all they did was make a political point and nothing is to be gained by this...

You can't piss in a glass of water and call it water... instead, it's basically just urine... that's all this bill is, it's urine trying to passed over as water...

I have mixed feelings on this one. Yes, we need to leave Iraq. This was a war that should never have been started. My problem with the Democrats is that they feel that we can just leave, and everything will be OK. However, I see no plan from the Democrats as to how we repair the damage that we did before leaving. We broke Iraq. That was Bush's fault. Leaving it broken will be the fault of the Democrats. Between the 2 "do nothing parties", you would think that they could quit bickering for one single solitary second, put their heads together, and come up with a way to leave Iraq, and a plan for it to be half-a$$ed pieced back together by the time we leave. All Bush wants to do is continue smashing, which won't work, and all the Democrats want to do is leave it smashed, as if we didn't break it in the first place (yeah, right), which won't work either. And, in the end, all we will get is 2 parties of political whores talking past each other, and nothing will be done that is remotely close to good. IMHO, that is the whole problem, in a nutshell.

Democrats in the HOR voted to give aid and comfort to the enemy, put our troops in danger by cutting off funds, and to cut and run in Iraq....The winning margin on the vote was because the Democrats put huge pork barrel projects in the bill........Disgusting.......Thank God President Bush will veto this cowardly attempt.

Tell us NR, in your own words, how this bill gives gives 'aid and comfort to the enemy', please elaborate.

I have mixed feelings on this one. Yes, we need to leave Iraq. This was a war that should never have been started. My problem with the Democrats is that they feel that we can just leave, and everything will be OK. However, I see no plan from the Democrats as to how we repair the damage that we did before leaving. We broke Iraq. That was Bush's fault. Leaving it broken will be the fault of the Democrats. Between the 2 "do nothing parties", you would think that they could quit bickering for one single solitary second, put their heads together, and come up with a way to leave Iraq, and a plan for it to be half-a$$ed pieced back together by the time we leave. All Bush wants to do is continue smashing, which won't work, and all the Democrats want to do is leave it smashed, as if we didn't break it in the first place (yeah, right), which won't work either. And, in the end, all we will get is 2 parties of political whores talking past each other, and nothing will be done that is remotely close to good. IMHO, that is the whole problem, in a nutshell.

Couldn't have said it better myself...

This bill indeed is chock-ful of symbolism, it puts all on record for the voters to see come the elections of November 08.

This bill indeed is chock-ful of symbolism, it puts all on record for the voters to see come the elections of November 08.

So, THAT'S why we're paying these people up there? To do nothing except do symbolic things that do nothing for the American people? Perfect... yeah, let's see the elections of November '08, to kick the entire lot out, Democrats & Republicans,and put people in there who will actually WORK...

Ha! If the Democrats would of cut off funding for the war you would of accused them of having NO backbone period! You can't have it both ways reaganburch.

Ha! If the Democrats would of cut off funding for the war you would of accused them of having NO backbone period! You can't have it both ways reaganburch.

SURVEY SAYS??? Big X...

Nope, do something, anything, make & take a fuc'king stand... just don't do purely symbolic things and waste OUR, THE AMERICAN PEOPLE'S, time... THAT'S what I despise... I've been pretty consistent on this issue...

Tell us NR, in your own words, how this bill gives gives 'aid and comfort to the enemy', please elaborate.

That is and easy one....The terrorists in Iraq know they can not defeat us on the battlefield but they saw what happened in Nam and they feel they can wait us out...........This bill with all its horrendous pork in it cuts off funds for our troops and sets arbitrary deadlines to cut and run....It puts our soldiers very much in harms wasy......

SURVEY SAYS??? Big X...

Nope, do something, anything, make & take a fuc'king stand... just don't do purely symbolic things and waste OUR, THE AMERICAN PEOPLE'S, time... THAT'S what I despise... I've been pretty consistent on this issue...

The bill does do something. The fact that GW will veto it is what keeps the action from happening. Just because he vetos it doesn't make it simply symbolic.

That is and easy one....The terrorists in Iraq know they can not defeat us on the battlefield but they saw what happened in Nam and they feel they can wait us out...........This bill with all its horrendous pork in it cuts off funds for our troops and sets arbitrary deadlines to cut and run....It puts our soldiers very much in harms wasy......

link please?

The bill does do something. The fact that GW will veto it is what keeps the action from happening. Just because he vetos it doesn't make it simply symbolic.

Horse ****.......This bill does not mean squat......The dems know the president will veto it.......Its meaningless........Again wasting the congress time..........What about SS? What about Medicare reform?

It MIGHT have, except the Democrats & Pelosi f'd up by allowing all the pork in there... he can now veto it by saying it's because of the pork and not being germaine to the issue at hand and now Congress, pass me a bill that deals with this issue and this issue only... and, it is probably partly true...

It MIGHT have, except the Democrats & Pelosi f'd up by allowing all the pork in there... he can now veto it by saying it's because of the pork and not being germaine to the issue at hand and now Congress, pass me a bill that deals with this issue and this issue only... and, it is probably partly true...

I think DD does not believe there is any pork in there like 74 million for peanut farmers..................He lives in a fantasy land...

Horse ****.......This bill does not mean squat......The Democrats know the president will veto it.......Its meaningless........Again wasting the congress time..........What about SS? What about Medicare reform?

What? Congress should not send any bill to the President that they expect him to veto? That makes no sense whatsoever. Why should congress take action solely on their speculation as to whether the President will or will not veto it.
Look....just admit it. I will. My satisfaction with the bill is it puts King George in a position of having to go on record vetoing what the people of this country sent a mandate in the election to do. Your dissatisfaction comes with the fact that your King will have to once again show that he is thumbing his nose at the people of this Country.

What? Congress should not send any bill to the President that they expect him to veto? That makes no sense whatsoever. Why should congress take action solely on their speculation as to whether the President will or will not veto it.
Look....just admit it. I will. My satisfaction with the bill is it puts King George in a position of having to go on record vetoing what the people of this country sent a mandate in the election to do. Your dissatisfaction comes with the fact that your King will have to once again show that he is thumbing his nose at the people of this Country.

It barely passed as is and only because the dems loaded the bill with pork barrel projects...............The senate will shoot it down big time........

I think DD does not believe there is any pork in there like 74 million for peanut farmers..................He lives in a fantasy land...

No....actually, I have seen the bill and I disagree with pork....I think its wrong when either side tacks that kind of stuff on....but don't kid yourself....it wasn't just this bill that got pork attached which seems to be your point. Just yesterday, the Republicans taked on anti-gun control legislation to a bill on whether to assign a congressional seat to DC....pork runs all gamuts....now lets get back to discussing the actual topic of the thread

Back
Top Bottom