• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Help, I’m trying to understand American politics

Iggyfire

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
I’ve only now decided to start getting involved in politics, and when I get back to the states I’m actually going to get involved, but I just find it exhausting, I feel like this isn’t the country I was taught about by my parents, and I wonder if I was lied to my whole life about America.

Where should I start? I’ve already tried to do some research but I just seem to always hit a wall of obvious lies. What should I do?

For context I was born in rural New England, but I left America when I was 5. But I’m now coming back, and I feel like I need to understand America more if I am to call myself an American.

All you really need to know about American politics is, politicians backed by extremely wealthy donors, appeal to the loudest and most insane minority of backwards thinking Americans and somehow, trick them into supporting policies that are absolutely ****ing them over and making all but sure their kids futures will be worse in more ways than one.

The majority of Americans can’t seem to get it together to stop this.

The end.

One interesting book I read that I feel explains how our system has become so fractured/partisan/dysfunctional is "The Parties vs. The People" by former Oklahoma GOP Rep Mickey Edwards. Your local library should have a copy and in that section of the shelves you should find other titles that explain our system.

All you really need to know about American politics is, politicians backed by extremely wealthy donors, appeal to the loudest and most insane minority of backwards thinking Americans and somehow, trick them into supporting policies that are absolutely ****ing them over and making all but sure their kids futures will be worse in more ways than one.

The end.

Democracy is under attack. Resistance is futile. So, those who might defend democracy don't even try.

The end.
That’s what everyone says, but I’m trying to understand the country I’m supposed to call home, but I feel like I really don’t understand it. Where should I start? I’ve already tried watching American news, and it genuinely frightened me. I grew up with France24, euronews, and thelocal, and I cannot seem to find anything similar. I tried CNN and Fox, and they feel like Russia Today quality broadcasting. Do people actually watch these? Where can I go to try to find informational news on the US?

I’ve only now decided to start getting involved in politics, and when I get back to the states I’m actually going to get involved, but I just find it exhausting, I feel like this isn’t the country I was taught about by my parents, and I wonder if I was lied to my whole life about America.

Where should I start? I’ve already tried to do some research but I just seem to always hit a wall of obvious lies. What should I do?

For context I was born in rural New England, but I left America when I was 5. But I’m now coming back, and I feel like I need to understand America more if I am to call myself an American.
When I was in Cuba years ago I was sitting beside a couple of Brits and we were watching NFL football. They were very confused about what was going on and I tried to explain the strategy and rules to them. The more I explained the more they looked at me sideways, sure that I was pulling their legs.

American politics is like that. You'll never understand it. Try a simpler hobby like figuring out women.

When I was in Cuba years ago I was sitting beside a couple of Brits and we were watching NFL football. They were very confused about what was going on and I tried to explain the strategy and rules to them. The more I explained the more they looked at me sideways, sure that I was pulling their legs.

American politics is like that. You'll never understand it. Try a simpler hobby like figuring out women
Damn, I forgot that the NFL was a thing. American football is really weird if you grew up watching sports like rugby, as they are slightly similar in how they look, but are played very differently. Is rugby a thing in America? I have tried to do a Google around, but I can’t seem to find much information.

When I think about it, I’m ashamed to admit I know very little about the place I come from. I know more about North Africa than I do about America. I don’t even know the name of the town my parents grew up in. For all intensive purposes, America is a foreign place to me, and one which I neglected to learn about for way too long.

If you think figuring out woman is hard, you’ve never tried to understand men. You guys do not make sense. Both of us have problems understanding the others, I think it’s because we raise boys and girls very differently, and they often learn entirely different social skills when they are young.

I'd start by giving up and doing something else. For a lot of us, it's too late.
I’m not the type of person to give up. I decided I will be going back to America, and I refuse to go live somewhere and not participate in it. It’s your duty as a citizen of a nation to participate in its politics, and if I am going to live in a country, I refuse to let it down.

Start with this. Corporations run the country.
Oh ****. That’s really really bad, but that can only happen with people’s cooperation, even if it is true, I still want to try to understand why.

I’m not the type of person to give up. I decided I will be going back to America, and I refuse to go live somewhere and not participate in it. It’s your duty as a citizen of a nation to participate in its politics, and if I am going to live in a country, I refuse to let it down.
Can you pick the state you're moving to, or is that already decided?

American politics is like that. You'll never understand it. Try a simpler hobby like figuring out women.

Considering how similar rugby and football are it was probably more of a people issue than a culture issue

Considering how similar rugby and football are it was probably more of a people issue than a culture issue
Smear the queer is not similar to American football

On cold days the teams devolved into a game of “kill the man with the ball,” more often than not called “smear the queer,” a phrase we shouted as we played. A boy with a ball would run the field, the rest of us after him, trying to tag or tackle him. Tagged or tackled, he might toss the ball, lob it into the mob of us.May 16, 2019
1655210856283.png
https://www.postandcourier.com › s...

Smear the Queer — A Lesson from the Playground | Archives - Post and Courier

Can you pass the citizenship test? That's a good start.
I’ve got Birthright Citizenship, and never lost it because I was naturalised under the age of 18. I successfully received a US passport back in 2018. I had to go to the embassy, and answer some questions, but it wasn’t that difficult.

On the practice citizenship test I got 102/133 of the questions even though I guessed a lot of them. So I would probably pass?

Last edited:
Smear the queer is not similar to American football

On cold days the teams devolved into a game of “kill the man with the ball,” more often than not called “smear the queer,” a phrase we shouted as we played. A boy with a ball would run the field, the rest of us after him, trying to tag or tackle him. Tagged or tackled, he might toss the ball, lob it into the mob of us.May 16, 2019
View attachment 67396450
https://www.postandcourier.com › s...

Smear the Queer — A Lesson from the Playground | Archives - Post and Courier

Wait isn’t this article is talking about American football?

I came to DP to deepen my understanding of the US. After a few years I conclude that the generality of Americans passionately hate anyone who holds views that differ from their own and that departing from the prevailing 'liberal' orthodoxy attracts vulgar abuse and repeated use of the words trumpet, trumpist, trumper etc. There are, though, a few here who post thoughtful and interesting comments.

Good luck!

I came to DP to deepen my understanding of the US. After a few years I conclude that the generality of Americans passionately hate anyone who holds views that differ from their own and that departing from the prevailing 'liberal' orthodoxy attracts vulgar abuse and repeated use of the words trumpet, trumpist, trumper etc. There are, though, a few here who post thoughtful and interesting comments.

Good luck!
I like Trumpette, also, libtard.

1655213875696.png

Party 1: Does something stupid.
Party 2: Complains and exaggerates.
Party 1: Cries victimhood while protecting their own with equal parts vigor and dishonesty.
The Media: Trumpets one side or the other, rarely both.
The People: Agree that something is rotten, but believe their own media and home team while demonizing the other for having sinister motives.
The Country: Doesn't improve.
Party 2: Does something stupid.

repeat ad nauseum.

Good luck!
What do you mean by ‘liberal orthodoxy’ that word can have a lot of meanings. Are you meaning liberal as in the economic idea? Liberal as in philosophical school of thought? Liberal as in anti authoritarian? The word doesn’t mean anything without context. What do you mean?

Can you pick the state you're moving to, or is that already decided?
I’ll be limited to cities on the east coast due to work unless I change my field.

Back
Top Bottom