• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Heart attack & stroke risk of cannabis smoking

Allan

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
A new large observational study has found that frequent smoking of cannabis increases heart attack risk by 25% and stroke risk by 42%.

Frequent cannabis smoking may significantly increase a person’s risk for heart attack and stroke, according to an observational study supported by the National Institutes of Health. The study, published in the Journal of the American Heart Association, uses data from nearly 435,000 American adults, and is among the largest ever to explore the relationship between cannabis and cardiovascular events.

Well, it stands to reason. I've only ever heard smoking itself is unhealthy.

Thankfully, with the loosening of laws it is easier than ever to get ahold of edibles and other non-smoked options to get the benefits with fewer risks.

A new large observational study has found that frequent smoking of cannabis increases heart attack risk by 25% and stroke risk by 42%.

Smoking anything is a really bad idea. Having said that, I do it on rare occasions. Now. Back in my nicotine days I was known to smoke a Pom-Pom cigar with a wad of Red Man Plug tucked in my cheek.
We (my wife and I) make pot butter with our harvest and bake shortbread biscuits with it. I don't doubt that there's something harmful involved but I don't see any reason to deprive ourselves. We grow it, we process it, we bake it and consume it, ain't nobody's business but our own.

From driving by the pot store everyday my observation is black pot smokers tend to be overweight.

From driving by the pot store everyday my observation is black pot smokers tend to be overweight.
From rarely going into the USA my observation is that Americans tend to bulge out everywhere, regardless of their complexions

What interests me personally is whether pot is more dangerous than alcohol. It's odd that they compare it to tobacco instead.

Yes. New evidence is proving that having fun and enjoying yourself will shorten your life span. Because not doing so makes it unbearably long.

Well, it stands to reason. I've only ever heard smoking itself is unhealthy.

Thankfully, with the loosening of laws it is easier than ever to get ahold of edibles and other non-smoked options to get the benefits with fewer risks.
Again, it makes sense, although not as harmful as tobacco, inhaling unfiltered smoke can't be the best thing for one's lungs.

Again, it makes sense, although not as harmful as tobacco, inhaling unfiltered smoke can't be the best thing for one's lungs.

So you'd think cancer risk would exceed heart risk.

It makes sense. It does stimulate an increase in heart rate, although it also lowers blood pressure (a friend told me!)
It does lower blood pressure.

What interests me personally is whether pot is more dangerous than alcohol. It's odd that they compare it to tobacco instead.
Odd that it's compared to anything. It assumes that dangerous things ought to be illegal.
Conservatives claim to be all about personal responsibility and no government interference but when the rubber meets the road they say that if you shouldn't do something there needs to be a law against it and if you should do something there needs to be a law that you must.
That thinking prevails where the government provides health care insurance, which is just more conservative hypocrisy.

I went to a hydroponics store yesterday, the pump in my koi pond went out, so I needed a new one. I was surprised that they could sell marijuana seeds, feminized, so they will bloom on their own. Then, I found out that they had mushroom growing kits, with syringes full of spores for common mushroom types woodear, shitake, etc. And behind those ones, they had the spores of several magic mushrooms. But...you can't buy the kit and the magic mushroom spores at the same time. But you can come back the next day, and get the second half.

Odd that it's compared to anything. It assumes that dangerous things ought to be illegal.

Conservatives claim to be all about personal responsibility and no government interference but when the rubber meets the road they say that if you shouldn't do something there needs to be a law against it and if you should do something there needs to be a law that you must.

That thinking prevails where the government provides health care insurance, which is just more conservative hypocrisy.
There is no hypocrisy. Ironic, that you should write the above. Conservatives want great health care, but they don't think the government knows what's best for an individual's right to make their own healthcare decisions. It's a decision best left to the individual and their doctors. Not the government. Sound familiar? Same as women's rights, which I fully support.

Do what you want. Some of us don't believe the government knows what's best for an individual's healthcare needs. I guess you're selective as to what they, the government should be protecting, whereas I'm not.

You would think so, but I don't think weed has all the chemical biproducts contained in processed tobacco.

Yeah, that's what many people said who died from the effects of both. De Nile.

Yeah, that's what many people said who died from the effects of both. De Nile.
Or, we can just see what scientists say. Yuh, know - science?

Cannabis and tobacco smoke are not equally carcinogenic​

While chemically very similar, there are fundamental differences in the pharmacological properties between cannabis and tobacco smoke. Cannabis smoke contains cannabinoids whereas tobacco smoke contains nicotine. Available scientific data, that examines the carcinogenic properties of inhaling smoke and its biological consequences, suggests reasons why tobacco smoke, but not cannabis smoke, may result in lung cancer.

There is no hypocrisy. Ironic, that you should write the above. Conservatives want great health care, but they don't think the government knows what's best for an individual's right to make their own healthcare decisions. It's a decision best left to the individual and their doctors. Not the government. Sound familiar? Same as women's rights, which I fully support.

Do what you want. Some of us don't believe the government knows what's best for an individual's healthcare needs. I guess you're selective as to what they, the government should be protecting, whereas I'm not.

Thinking the private sector will provide the best healthcare to everyone, is simply naive. Private and non-profit heathcare is only profitable at the current price point because government takes the bad risks (most particularly the elderly.)

Tell me, do you support what both the major parties support: mandatory coverage of pre-existing conditions?

Back
Top Bottom