• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Hatch Op-Ed Says Meeting w/ Merrick Garland That Hadn’t Happened Yet Was Unpersuasive

Threegoofs

Sophisticated man-about-town
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
The city Fox News viewers are afraid to travel to
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Orrin Hatch Op-Ed Says Meeting With Merrick Garland That Hadn’t Happened Yet Was Unpersuasive

Orrin Hatch Op-Ed Says Meeting With Merrick Garland That Hadn’t Happened Yet Was Unpersuasive

If you needed yet another indicator of how intransigent Senate Republicans are about Merrick Garland’s nomination to the Supreme Court, in the face of fair play, good faith, and good governance, you got it on Thursday in the form of Utah Senator Orrin Hatch. The Republican senator has been an anti-confirmation hawk for the party. On Thursday, Hatch appears to have been scheduled to meet with Garland, although he has been unwilling to participate in confirmation hearings on his nomination. The meeting appeared to be a courtesy call, but, you know, at least Hatch is going into it with an open mind. Or not.

On Thursday morning, the Deseret News, a Utah newspaper, mistakenly published an op-ed by Hatch that discussed Garland’s nomination and the senator’s reaction to his meeting with Garland—even though it hadn’t happened yet. The paper quickly took it down and blamed it on an editing error, but here’s the cached version:

I met with Judge Garland as a personal friend and out of respect for his position as a distinguished federal judge. Our meeting, however, does not change my conviction that the Senate should consider a Supreme Court nominee after this presidential election cycle.

And some people say the GOP arent being obstructionist at all, just acting from solid principles.

How clownish.

Re: Hatch Op-Ed Says Meeting w/ Merrick Garland That Hadn’t Happened Yet Was Unpersua

Disturbing.

Obviously Hatch played a part in the "error."

Too bad. He seems to me to be above that kind of thing...one of the more sane ones.

But I guess I've been fooling myself about that.

Back
Top Bottom