• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Has anyone heard of operation crosscheck?

bongsaway

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
I had never heard of it until I watched a documentary about it last night called, 'the best democracy money can buy'. It's what the republicans use to purge voter rolls in a couple of dozen states mostly red ones. If you last name is a common name, you might be on the list to be purged.

I suggest anyone but especially republicans watch this documentary. It goes into depth about the dirty tactics of voter suppression buy the gop.

Nobody from the gop interested in some truth?

"Operation Crosscheck" sounds like something my bank puts into motion every time I am overdrawn.

:)

To be serious, Bong, I don't know that much about it. I am, however, definitely against all efforts to suppress votes--unless there's really hard evidence that something's not right with them.

Here is an article from rolling stone.

If you are a johnson, or washington or kim or park, chances are you are on the purge list. Garcias, look out. Anyone who is a minority with a common name, you're probably on the hit list too. This is the what the republicans do behind the scenes to suppress the vote.

I had never heard of it until I watched a documentary about it last night called, 'the best democracy money can buy'. It's what the republicans use to purge voter rolls in a couple of dozen states mostly red ones. If you last name is a common name, you might be on the list to be purged.

I suggest anyone but especially republicans watch this documentary. It goes into depth about the dirty tactics of voter suppression buy the gop.
As a registered Independent, I was told today that I was purged. After some checking about, it turned out that my birth date was put in wrong. All is well.

Only when it comes to immigration have I heard the term. It is the ICE effort to locate illegals with criminal matters.

"Operation Crosscheck" sounds like something my bank puts into motion every time I am overdrawn.

:)

To be serious, Bong, I don't know that much about it. I am, however, definitely against all efforts to suppress votes--unless there's really hard evidence that something's not right with them.
I found it to be quite disturbing.

Yes, Crosscheck was a computer system developed by Republicans as a national project to purge hundreds of thousands of voters from the roles. It was exposed in 2000 in Florida. It was designed to target almost entirely minority voters, and is one of the things that cost Democrats the presidency they won - nearly 100,000 voters were purged just in Florida.

It used a name matching system. Republicans ordered it to use very loose matching, to get many false matches, and paid a premium to the company to get that.

Here is an article from rolling stone.

If you are a johnson, or washington or kim or park, chances are you are on the purge list. Garcias, look out. Anyone who is a minority with a common name, you're probably on the hit list too. This is the what the republicans do behind the scenes to suppress the vote.

ALEC has been directing this fiasco .......... behind closed doors. ALEC wrote the book.

1. Alarm over voter purges as 17m Americans removed from rolls ...
    www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/aug/01/voter...
    Aug 01, 2019 · At least 17 million voters were purged nationwide between 2016 and 2018, according to a study by the Brennan Center for Justice. The number was basically unchanged from the previous two-year period.
  2. 17 Million Americans Purged From Voter Rolls Between 2016 and ...
    www.commondreams.org/news/2019/08/02/17-million...
    Aug 02, 2019 · The Brennan Center for Justice released a study Thursday showing that 17 million Americans were dropped from voter rolls between 2016 and 2018—almost four million more than the number purged between 2006 and 2008. The problem was most pronounced in counties and election precincts with a history of racial oppression and votersuppression.
  3. 17 Million Voters Purged - Video Results

Nothing to see here. Move along. There's a good voter. Move along now.

Yes, Crosscheck was a computer system developed by Republicans as a national project to purge hundreds of thousands of voters from the roles. It was exposed in 2000 in Florida. It was designed to target almost entirely minority voters, and is one of the things that cost Democrats the presidency they won - nearly 100,000 voters were purged just in Florida.

It used a name matching system. Republicans ordered it to use very loose matching, to get many false matches, and paid a premium to the company to get that.
Is it news that the GOP cheats? It's way worse now than it was 20 years ago.

Is it news that the GOP cheats? It's way worse now than it was 20 years ago.

In principle, it really isn't. They aggressively did it as much as they could then and now. Numerically, you might be right, that they have been able to get more of it implemented. It's hard to keep track with what has had to be disbanded and what they have added.

Back
Top Bottom