• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Harvesting in a trade war: U.S. crops rot as storage costs soar

Trade wars are no good for anybody; I mean the ordinary people. Politicians don't care.

Is that so, when is the last time they.borrowed money from us to keep there government open or to pay for tax cuts???

China will just buy up farms as they go out of business, just as they have been doing for years...

Ouch! :mrgreen:

A bad part of the food war is that China has already found foreign Nations to replace the US foodstuffs. Will they return as US customers if the tariffs are rescinded. Not likely unless the US products become substatnially cheaper. That would be a second screwing for US farmers. As GDViking said, "China will just buy up farms as they go out of business, just as they have been doing for years."
/

You can assert many things, all of them are false. The charts below prove it.

Trump said, "Obama said Trump would have to wave a "magic wand" to create good paying manufacturing jobs." Obama ACTUALLY said, 'was that Trump would need a magic wand to get 4% (annual) growth. We haven't had 4% annual growth.' (see post #17). The misrepresentation of Obama's record are astounding lies that don't hold up to the most cavalier scrutiny.

Notice the drop in full time jobs and increase in part-time jobs after Obamacare became law? Me neither.

fredgraph.png

fredgraph.png

Ready to Apologize? Here is the quote where Obama is talking about living wage manufacturing jobs that he himself had no Idea how to create. https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...10FF55ED2DC0BF128F4C10FF55ED2DC0BF1&FORM=VIRE

You still did not answer the question: What Obama policies improved the economy? Without that, giving Obama credit for job creation while he was in office is like giving him credit for who all the Super-bowl winners were while he was in office.

A program that Obama actually was responsible for is Obamacare, and yes it did turn thousands of full time jobs into part time jobs no matter how it's measured on national stats.

This is a necessary bullet we have to bite. The moron was Obama and his foreign policy of appeasing tyrannical nations and letting them abuse US benevolence. I'm glad Trump is taking on China, there will undoubtedly be some pain in areas but it is necessary.

It's fun to watch you say that and yet remain laughably unable to actually back up that statement.

Ready to Apologize? Here is the quote where Obama is talking about living wage manufacturing jobs that he himself had no Idea how to create. https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...10FF55ED2DC0BF128F4C10FF55ED2DC0BF1&FORM=VIRE

You still did not answer the question: What Obama policies improved the economy? Without that, giving Obama credit for job creation while he was in office is like giving him credit for who all the Super-bowl winners were while he was in office.

A program that Obama actually was responsible for is Obamacare, and yes it did turn thousands of full time jobs into part time jobs no matter how it's measured on national stats.
I never said Obama never used the words "magic wand" in his life. According to your video, Obama said (paraphrasing), 'Trump claims he can bring back manufacturing jobs. He doesn't say how. He can't just wave a magic wand.' That's all true. Trump hasn't enacted any policies that bring back jobs -- and in fact, his tariffs hurt manufacturing jobs. Just ask Ford.

On Obama, I don't have to list his accomplishment with the economy. Others have done that, such as The Balance.

In February 2009, Congress approved Obama's $787 billion economic stimulus package. It cut taxes, extended unemployment benefits, and funded public works projects.

I do note your backpedaling, because you originally claimed 'Obama said it would take a magic wand to bring back manufacturing jobs.' He never said that -- that's what Trump said that he said.

The recession ended in July 2009 when GDP growth turned positive.

In just seven months, the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act pumped $241.9 billion into the economy. That increased growth to a robust 3.9 percent rate by early 2010. By March 30, 2011, almost all ($633.5 billion) of the funds were spent.

Obama bailed out the U.S. auto industry on March 30, 2009. The federal government took over General Motors and Chrysler, saving three million jobs. It forced the companies to become more fuel efficient and therefore more globally competitive.
Oh, and manufacturing has been on a long-term decline since the 1980s -- mostly due to automation. That isn't going to return to 1980s levels.

fredgraph.png

Last edited:
I never said Obama never used the words "magic wand" in his life. According to your video, Obama said (paraphrasing), 'Trump claims he can bring back manufacturing jobs. He doesn't say how. He can't just wave a magic wand.' That's all true. Trump hasn't enacted any policies that bring back jobs -- and in fact, his tariffs hurt manufacturing jobs. Just ask Ford.

On Obama, I don't have to list his accomplishment with the economy. Others have done that, such as The Balance.

Oh, and manufacturing has been on a long-term decline since the 1980s -- mostly due to automation. That isn't going to return to 1980s levels.

fredgraph.png

What do you get out of lying? Especially when there is a link to a 46 second video in my post proving you are a Liar.

The things you listed: My God, Obama himself admitted those were all failures. https://www.cbsnews.com/news/obama-no-such-thing-as-shovel-ready-projects/

GDP growth is the best overall measure of an economies health. by that measure Obama was the worst economic president since WW2.

What do you get out of lying? Especially when there is a link to a 46 second video in my post proving you are a Liar.

The things you listed: My God, Obama himself admitted those were all failures. https://www.cbsnews.com/news/obama-no-such-thing-as-shovel-ready-projects/

GDP growth is the best overall measure of an economies health. by that measure Obama was the worst economic president since WW2.

Got the country out of the recession that dubya and the republicans caused. Reduced unemployment from 10.8% to 4.7%. Created MILLIONS of private sector jobs for AMERICANS. Reduced the deficit without any help from the corrupt republicans.

Oh and he didn't give tax cuts to the richest 1% - and that is why republicans consider him the worst economic president .

Nice try. Now back to bed before mummy finds out.

I figure by 2020 even the Trumpsters will notice. Of course they'll blame the Democrats.

They are already blaming the democrats for the Dow Jones going down AGAIN. But when it goes up, trump tweets how frigging magnificent he is and the deplorables goosestep and salute him.

Got the country out of the recession that dubya and the republicans caused. Reduced unemployment from 10.8% to 4.7%. Created MILLIONS of private sector jobs for AMERICANS. Reduced the deficit without any help from the corrupt republicans.

Oh and he didn't give tax cuts to the richest 1% - and that is why republicans consider him the worst economic president .

Nice try. Now back to bed before mummy finds out.

Although there were many bad actors within the private banking community, every Government policy that caused the 2008 crash came from Liberal Democrats, not Bush. Obama policies made that recession almost permanent (Slowest recovery in US history).

This is what happens when you put a moron in charge of trade policy -- Trump's incompetence at governing is showing.

DscxvhbV4AEQ1Ps.jpg:large

I live in Indiana. Our two major crops are corn and soybeans. I quietly chuckle to myself as pro-Trump farmers here accept government assistance because President Von CLownstick started a trade war,and then say the problem is"too much gubmint".

Although there were many bad actors within the private banking community, every Government policy that caused the 2008 crash came from Liberal Democrats, not Bush. Obama policies made that recession almost permanent (Slowest recovery in US history).
The reason by conservatives claim the government cause the crash is to discredit government -- that they think does nothing good, only bad. The narrative that 'government caused the 2008 crash' has been widely discredited. You can read it here, from a Wall St insider:
The Big Lie of the Financial Crisis

The reason by conservatives claim the government cause the crash is to discredit government -- that they think does nothing good, only bad. The narrative that 'government caused the 2008 crash' has been widely discredited. You can read it here, from a Wall St insider:
The Big Lie of the Financial Crisis

linking another liar proves what?

I figure by 2020 even the Trumpsters will notice. Of course they'll blame the Democrats.

He'll blame "leftists" and they will post about it here. Trust me. We're well beyond reality mattering.

Sounds like alarmist nonsense from libtards

I must marvel at such clueless posts when the OP's first post reports actual data. Inconvenient facts must be dismissed at all cost as "alarmist nonsense from libtards."

This is what happens when you put a moron in charge of trade policy -- Trump's incompetence at governing is showing.

DscxvhbV4AEQ1Ps.jpg:large

Man y’all ate still some of the dum**t people I’ve ever listened too, you gotta put your foot down sometimes to get a better deal, farmers will get subsidies, China will get hungry, and it still won’t cost us 500 billion ( what their used to cheating us every year)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man y’all ate still some of the dum**t people I’ve ever listened too, you gotta put your foot down sometimes to get a better deal, farmers will get subsidies, China will get hungry, and it still won’t cost us 500 billion ( what their used to cheating us every year)

The U.S. hasn't made an coherent demands. That is, Trump has given no indication what any of the countries hit by his tariffs could do to satisfy him, leaving them with no option except retaliation. As shown earlier in this thread, China is winning this one and our farmers are the losers. So, it seems that they guy who even types with a drawl is the dumb****.

The trade deals under Obama was the US will allow imports, with low tariffs, to all countries, while the same countries can add high tariffs onto US exports. This made it cheaper for US citizens to buy goods, but it caused business to send jobs over seas to take advantage of lax US trade policies. This hurt the middle class. All Trump has done is make a level playing field. He gave the other countries the option to lower their trade barriers to the level of the US, or the US will increase trade barriers to the level of the other countries. It is funny how Democrats complain about fairness.

We are in an adjustment period. The analogy is the US was like a football team that had the wind in their face and the sun in their eyes every game. The other teams have had the wind and sun to their back every game. The new rules allows the teams to change sides each quarter. This is going to be harder on the opposing teams, who were so used to having an advantage every game. We have to adjust but it will be easier for us. They will blink first. In other words, if this is so bad for the US farmers, imagine all the industry in China that exports to the US. The US has taken over as the best place to invest.

Tariffs are taxes and the money collected goes to the treasury. I thought the Democrats love to raise taxes? Or do the Democrats only like to raise taxes on US citizens? Under Trump the US citizen got a tax cut and the rest of the world, including China, is now paying the US taxes. Now Congress has more money to squander. How about all tariff revenue be used to pay down the national debt?

As far as the farmers, Trump is working deals with third parties who trade with China. Our soybeans are still the best in the world and Chinese want them, even if they need to buy them from the underground supply chain.

The U.S. hasn't made an coherent demands. That is, Trump has given no indication what any of the countries hit by his tariffs could do to satisfy him, leaving them with no option except retaliation. As shown earlier in this thread, China is winning this one and our farmers are the losers. So, it seems that they guy who even types with a drawl is the dumb****.

Coherent demands = fair trade ( no tariffs) that’s Trumps demands, what’s wrong with that. Do you not think America should get fair trade?
And how do you explain China is winning? We have a $500 billion trade deficit with China, so if you’re American wouldn’t you want those American companies to be treated fairly, couldn’t we use that $500 billion to pay subsidies until China decides to play fair.
I know you guys hate Trump and would rather hope he fails (if he fails, then we all fail) just because MSM told you what to think.

Coherent demands = fair trade ( no tariffs) that’s Trumps demands, what’s wrong with that. Do you not think America should get fair trade?
And how do you explain China is winning? We have a $500 billion trade deficit with China, so if you’re American wouldn’t you want those American companies to be treated fairly, couldn’t we use that $500 billion to pay subsidies until China decides to play fair.
I know you guys hate Trump and would rather hope he fails (if he fails, then we all fail) just because MSM told you what to think.
Trump’s declaration that “trade wars are good, and easy to win” is as foolish as it sounds.

But here’s the thing: Trump’s tariffs are badly designed even from the point of view of someone who shares his crude mercantilist view of trade. In fact, the structure of his tariffs so far is designed to inflict maximum damage on the U.S. economy, for minimal gain. Foreign retaliation, by contrast, is far more sophisticated: unlike Trump, the Chinese and other targets of his trade wrath seem to have a clear idea of what they’re trying to accomplish.

Both you and Trump believe that trade is a game in which he who runs the biggest surplus wins, and that America, which imports more than it exports, therefore has the upper hand in any conflict. That’s actually not how trade works. Trump's fixation on trade balances, imagines that the world still looks the way it did in the 1960s, when trade was overwhelmingly in final goods like wheat and cars. In that world, putting a tariff on imported cars would cause consumers to switch to domestic cars, adding auto industry jobs. In the modern world economy, however, a large part of trade is in intermediate goods – not cars but car parts. Put a tariff on car parts, and even the first-round effect on jobs is uncertain: maybe domestic parts producers will add workers, but you’ve raised costs and reduced competitiveness for downstream producers, like Ford and GM, who will shrink their operations.

China’s retaliation is mostly on final goods. And it’s also driven by a clear political strategy of hurting Trump voters; the Chinese, unlike Cult45, know what they’re trying to accomplish.

Now, if you wanted free trade, you and Trump should have been supporters of the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP.)

Oh, and the idea that Trump wants trade to be freer, so he is imposing tariffs, makes as much sense as his “trade wars are good, and easy to win” statement.

Also see:
China is winning the trade war with America for now

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom