• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Half of Republicans believe false accounts of deadly U.S. Capitol riot: Reuters/Ipsos poll

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Half of Republicans believe false accounts of deadly U.S. Capitol riot: Reuters/Ipsos poll

6_2021-637455781271935843-193.jpg

4/5/21
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Since the deadly Jan. 6 insurrection at the U.S. Capitol, former President Donald Trump and his Republican allies have pushed false and misleading accounts to downplay the event that left five dead and scores of others wounded. His supporters appear to have listened. Three months after a mob of Trump supporters stormed the Capitol to try to overturn his November election loss, about half of Republicans believe the siege was largely a non-violent protest or was the handiwork of left-wing activists "trying to make Trump look bad," a new Reuters/Ipsos poll has found. Six in 10 Republicans also believe the false claim put out by Trump that November's presidential election "was stolen" from him due to widespread voter fraud, and the same proportion of Republicans think he should run again in 2024, the March 30-31 poll showed. Since the Capitol attack, Trump, many of his allies within the Republican Party and right-wing media personalities have publicly painted a picture of the day’s events jarringly at odds with reality. he refusal of Trump and prominent Republicans to repudiate the events of Jan. 6 increases the likelihood of a similar incident happening again, said Susan Corke, director of the Intelligence Project at the Southern Poverty Law Center, which tracks hate groups. "That is the biggest danger – normalizing this behavior," Corke said.

In a recent interview with Fox News, Trump said the rioters posed “zero threat.” Other prominent Republicans, such as Senator Ron Johnson of Wisconsin, have publicly doubted whether Trump supporters were behind the riot. Last month, 12 Republicans in the House of Representatives voted against a resolution honoring Capitol Police officers who defended the grounds during the rampage, with one lawmaker saying that he objected using the word “insurrection” to describe the incident. The Reuters/Ipsos poll shows a large number of rank-and-file Republicans have embraced the myth. While 59% of all Americans say Trump bears some responsibility for the attack, only three in 10 Republicans agree. Eight in 10 Democrats and six in 10 independents reject the false claims that the Capitol siege was "mostly peaceful" or it was staged by left-wing protestors. “Republicans have their own version of reality,” said John Geer, an expert on public opinion at Vanderbilt University. “It is a huge problem. Democracy requires accountability and accountability requires evidence.”

Right on this very board we have Trump supporters and Rethuglicans that deny a riot took place at the Capitol on 6 January 2021.

All the hallmarks of cult brainwashing.

Is it a false claim that most participants had no violent behaviour or intent?

I'm not sure how you join a mob that is yelling about how they want to murder the Vice President while still claiming you have no violent intent.

I’ll not have anyone on the left or from the media (obviously mostly the same) lecture me about the nuance of phrases like “largely non-violent” or “mostly peaceful.” But the stolen election stuff is nonsense and anyone who believes that should get help.

I'm not sure how you join a mob that is yelling about how they want to murder the Vice President while still claiming you have no violent intent.

"Mostly peaceful" is obviously intended primarily to create a comparison/equivalency with the George Floyd protests and associated riots. In most regards that equivalency is false and dishonest of course, but I wonder if it might be worth considering in this case. People sometimes do get drawn into the momentum and feeling of anonymity provided by crowds, after all. I'd hazard a guess that at the start of the day most of the participants hadn't even intended to trespass into the Capitol building. Obviously that changed pretty quickly, and as you suggest going along with those yelling "hang Mike Pence" would be a pretty fair indicator of violent intent too. Setting up a gallows even moreso! How many folk were yelling that, and what fraction of the crowd were nearby, or had to pass by the gallows (I'm assuming many were already inside by the time it was set up)?

Back
Top Bottom