• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Gun owners must compromise!!

Mungo Jerry

Brother...bring me the flamer...the HEAVY flamer..
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
Below, an example of what "compromise" means to the rabid anti-gun left; given some of the posts here, I have no reason to think these points are not supported to some degree by those on the left in general

In summation, this is "compromise":
-You may only own a gun under specific and very limited conditions
-You have no right to own a gun, and the 2nd Amendment is irrelevant

Oddly enough, there's no mention on banning certain firearms. Weird.

Anyway... regarding "compromise"...
-Why would gun owners agree to this?
-As "compromise" requires give and take from both sides, what do gun owners receive in exchange for agreeing with this?

If you believe this is a poor example of compromise, set up as a straw man, what compromise would you offer?

You don't have to be so afraid.

Nothing is going to happen with gun control in any of our lifetimes.

Gun owners are the most easily frightened group of people in the US.

Well not all gun owners.

Well not all gun owners.
Your usual avoidance of the issue, noted.

Thus the "usual" in my previous statement.

Nothing the article proposed would be constitutional. it's posted on a nothing website, by a random person. You may as well be upset about a forum post here.

No reason to have your panties in a bunch.

Nothing the article proposed would be constitutional. it's posted on a nothing website, by a random person. You may as well be upset about a forum post here.
Uh huh.
See the last line of my post:
If you believe this is a poor example of compromise, set up as a straw man, what compromise would you offer?

Don't worry - I don't expect you present a meaningful response.

Below, an example of what "compromise" means to the rabid anti-gun left; given some of the posts here, I have no reason to think these points are not supported to some degree by those on the left in general

-As "compromise" requires give and take from both sides, what do gun owners receive in exchange for agreeing with this?

Another pro-gun guy shooting himself in the foot.

It's quite simple.

Step 1: Drop the rhetoric. You're not going to change any minds by talking about the "rabid anti-gun left". You're merely bolstering their resolve. Pretty dumb tactic.

Step 2: As a gun enthusiast, demand that the rules already in place are enforced. Publicly and visibly. Be the face of responsible gun ownership. See step 1.

Step 3: If guns don't kill, people do, then, as a gun enthusiast, be at the forefront of trying to speak to why people kill each other with guns at such a disproportionate rate in America, and provide alternative solutions. Of course, this would lead you down a path of discovery that may challenge some of your other ideologies - poverty driving crime might make you want to address poverty, for example, if keeping your guns is important to you.

Rights are lost for everyone by the people who abuse them. The Patriot act proved, if nothing before it did, that rights are not carved in stone. Be smart and get ahead of it, by being the responsible gun owner you keep telling us the majority of you are. This helps everyone - as a filthy lefty I know that banning guns will solve nothing. Furthermore, I enjoyed my time at the range, and miss it now that I don't go as often as I used to. I have nothing against guns themselves, only the dumbasses that use them in such a way that everyone's enjoyment of shooting could be threatened. You've got more power to influence than you think, but you lose it when you lose sight of step 1.

It's quite simple.
1: After they do so, sure.
2: The pro-gun side has been demanding the left commit to enforcing existing laws before we add new ones for decades. they never do..
3: There's no need for anyone on the pro-gun side to make that argument - we do not need to justify our rights, and our defense of same, to anyone.

Rights are lost for everyone by the people who abuse them.
Problem here is the open and abject desire of the anti-gun loons to take away the rights of those who do not abuse them.

And while I appreciate your response, you didn't really address this:

Last edited:
That's no 'compromise'. :rolleyes:
But hey! The shops will be open 24/7! :ROFLMAO:
What's to stop me from obtaining a hunting permit to 'show' my intentions, sign my rifle out, and go shoot the person I'm intent on killing?

You cannot compromise with the Gun Cult. They demand you sacrifice your children to their fetish.

You cannot compromise with the Gun Cult. They demand you sacrifice your children to their fetish.
My point, proven, before I even made it.

Uh huh.
See the last line of my post:

Don't worry - I don't expect you present a meaningful response.

There is no compromise while the 2nd amendment is in place. It prevents any meaningful gun control.

There is no compromise while the 2nd amendment is in place. It prevents any meaningful gun control.
This just means the 2A is working as intended.

This does not prevent you from making an offer, however.
What are you willing to give the pro-gun side in return for the restrictions you seek?

What are you willing to give the pro-gun side in return for the restrictions you seek?

I wouldn't give the pro gun side anything.

What is the pro gun side? I own three firearms, and i think the 2nd amendment should be repealed.

Repealing the 2nd amendment wouldn't mean that i couldn't own guns.

May I ask, democrats don't own guns in your opinion? Mungo Jerry, get out of the sun, it's blinding you to reality. In the summertime when the weather is fine...

1: After they do so, sure.
Immature. I question your seriousness and dedication on this issue. I know I could mind my manners if something was important to me, no matter what the meanies on the other side say.
2: The pro-gun side has been demanding the left commit to enforcing existing laws before we add new ones for decades. they never do..
Link for proof. This is the one thing that, in my opinion and if proven, would be a legitimate grievance.
3: There's no need for anyone on the pro-gun side to make that argument - we do not need to justify our rights and our defense of same to anyone.
Again, your rights aren't worth the paper they're written on if the majority decideds to go in a different direction. It's happened before and it will happen again. There's nothing magical about the word "right", except in the warm and fuzzy feeling it generates. It can be lost in an instant when public opinion changes. Ask slave owners.
Problem here is the open and abject desire of the anti-gun loons to take away the rights of those who do not abuse them.
No, the "anti-gun loons" don't care about your rights one way or the other, they just don't want to get shot up. Without providing them with any real solutions, why should they care about your hobby?
And while I appreciate your response, you didn't really address this:
I feel like I addressed this entirely. Modern anti-gun rhetoric is about as dumbassed as modern pro-gun rhetoric. The only thing going for it is it's popularity. The compromise is coming to the table with real solutions, rather than just talking about people being "rabid", or being "loons". What's more important to you? Insulting the "other side", or keeping your guns. Because, if this plays out the way it always plays out, that appears to be your choice.

They get to keep their guns. You guys think ANY suggestion is an affront to your beloved second amendment. What is the purpose of a bump stock? You gonna' kill a dozen deer at once? Why do you NEED thirty round magazines, you gonna' kill twenty deer and ten bears at the same time?

Put chips in all new weapons so only the purchaser can use them. How's that for starters, does that diminish the second amendment, infringe on your right to own a firearm?

Well not all gun owners.
Hilarious and true, they are afraid of everything but they try to push it off on being 'prepared'. I need a gun to protect myself from other people with guns. It's like trump the billionaire president trying to sell america his victim story and even more hilariously, people send him money. " I'm so rich".

It's quite simple.

Step 1: Drop the rhetoric. You're not going to change any minds by talking about the "rabid anti-gun left". You're merely bolstering their resolve. Pretty dumb tactic.

Step 2: As a gun enthusiast, demand that the rules already in place are enforced. Publicly and visibly. Be the face of responsible gun ownership. See step 1.

Step 3: If guns don't kill, people do, then, as a gun enthusiast, be at the forefront of trying to speak to why people kill each other with guns at such a disproportionate rate in America, and provide alternative solutions. Of course, this would lead you down a path of discovery that may challenge some of your other ideologies - poverty driving crime might make you want to address poverty, for example, if keeping your guns is important to you.

Rights are lost for everyone by the people who abuse them. The Patriot act proved, if nothing before it did, that rights are not carved in stone. Be smart and get ahead of it, by being the responsible gun owner you keep telling us the majority of you are. This helps everyone - as a filthy lefty I know that banning guns will solve nothing. Furthermore, I enjoyed my time at the range, and miss it now that I don't go as often as I used to. I have nothing against guns themselves, only the dumbasses that use them in such a way that everyone's enjoyment of shooting could be threatened. You've got more power to influence than you think, but you lose it when you lose sight of step 1.
Bravo, well said.

Immature.
How is expecting to be treated as you would have me treat others qualify as "immature"?
Link for proof. This is the one thing that, in my opinion and if proven, would be a legitimate grievance.
Here's one.
Again, your rights aren't worth the paper they're written on if the majority decideds to go in a different direction.
False - the majority cannot take away those rights.
As to the rest of your comment - you only justify the right to keep and bear arms.
No, the "anti-gun loons" don't care about your rights one way or the other, they just don't want to get shot up.
My statement. however stands;
You talk about people who abuse their rights often lose them, which is true.
If that were the limit of the objectives of the anti-gun left, there's be no issue - but they seek to reduce my rights because of the actions of others.
Why should anyone agree to that?
Without providing them with any real solutions, why should they care about your hobby?
Ah. Your prejudice leaks out
The burden of justification lies on those who wish to restrict a right, not on those who seek to retain them.
I feel like I addressed this entirely.
Compromise is coming to the table with real solutions, where you offer something in exchange for something you want.
You have not done this.

Hilarious and true, they are afraid of everything but they try to push it off on being 'prepared'. I need a gun to protect myself from other people with guns. It's like trump the billionaire president trying to sell america his victim story and even more hilariously, people send him money. " I'm so rich".
Your avoidance of the issue presented, noted.

Bait thread.

Bait thread.
I KNEW you'd say that.
This is why I concluded with:

Well?

Back
Top Bottom