• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Gun Owners Insurance

Should gun owners be forced to carry insurance?

• Yes

Votes: 10 26.3%
  • No

Votes: 27 71.1%
  • Don't know

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters

calamity

Privileged
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
I've heard this argument before.

I see the logic. Kill ten people, and at least someone out there will have capital to pay out the awarded damages. Of course, the price via premiums will reflect the risk associated with underwriting that liability.
Let's vote on it.

That becomes a database/registry, imo.

The background check is essentially a registry.

So we already have one in place.

Having two won't be much different.

But I don't think the plan will work. People won't buy the insurance.

The background check is essentially a registry.

So we already have one in place.

Having two won't be much different.

But I don't think the plan will work. People won't buy the insurance.

I don’t post in this forum often. I have purchased a few firearms over the years. I have quizzed the FFL dealer on what information they are forwarding to the state police. I have been told multiple times that there is no information provided on what it is that I am purchasing. I think insurance companies are going to require make/model type of information....

I don’t post in this forum often. I have purchased a few firearms over the years. I have quizzed the FFL dealer on what information they are forwarding to the state police. I have been told multiple times that there is no information provided on what it is that I am purchasing. I think insurance companies are going to require make/model type of information....

How are they doing a background check on you if they don't submit your name or something like a driver's license or ssn?

How are they doing a background check on you if they don't submit your name or something like a driver's license or ssn?

If you look at my post again, I say that the dealer is furnishing no information as to what it is that I am purchasing.

My personal information is a given?

I see the logic. Kill ten people, and at least someone out there will have capital to pay out the awarded damages. Of course, the price via premiums will reflect the risk associated with underwriting that liability.
Let's vote on it.
What other Constitutional right do we have to be insured for?

I think we should have been able to hold every single Trump voter responsible and gotten them to pay up.

How about insuring us for 'inflammatory speech' that causes harm to others?

Both sound silly? No sillier than the San Jose mayor's idea (which of course isnt new).

Why should we be penalized for exercising our right?

I think the distinction is the BC does not list the type of weapon. So yeah they may know that Swing had his information submitted but not any details on what or if you bought anytging. The insurance requirement would almost positively require a detailed list of what firearms you own. I also don't think its too far out there to assume any such insurance law would be written in a way that requires insures to submit a list of gun owners and there weapons as a way to insure compliance, and have a defcto registry list. So they would know every detail on every firearm you own.

What other Constitutional right do we have to be insured for?

I think we should have been able to hold every single Trump voter responsible and gotten them to pay up.

How about insuring us for 'inflammatory speech' that causes harm to others?

Both sound silly? No sillier than the San Jose mayor's idea (which of course isnt new).

Why should we be penalized for exercising our right?
For the same reason you insure your car: if you hit someone, they pay. In this case, if you shoot someone, they pay.

For the same reason you insure your car: if you hit someone, they pay. In this case, if you shoot someone, they pay.

That's not how it works. It has to be a justified shooting. If it is, you don't pay. That's just a hypothetical if you are required insurance. I doubt it will work. Can't put a constitutional right, only if you pay.

Why not just make it "murder insurance" and force everyone to carry it? You murder someone, the insurance company compensates the victim's family.

And if I hit someone, I'm held responsible and I pay MORE and I may get legal consequences. If I shoot someone, I'm also held responsible and may get legal consequences.

If someone steals my car and commits a crime...I'm not. And btw, that happened...and I wasnt. Same if someone ELSE shoots someone...they are held responsible, not me.

Why not just make it "murder insurance" and force everyone to carry it? You murder someone, the insurance company compensates the victim's family.
Do you think the odds of that increase for gun owners?

Let's vote on it.
the people least likely to harm others with firearms are the most likely to have to pay this bullshit insurance. Those most likely to harm others cannot legally own guns in the first place

the people least likely to harm others with firearms are the most likely to have to pay this bullshit insurance. Those most likely to harm others cannot legally own guns in the first place
That poor excuse is no longer as true as you want to think it is. Why do you think I use the sarcastic, "Good guy with a gun," to describe so many shootings?

Because they commit a lot of ****ing shootings.

That poor excuse is no longer as true as you want to think it is. Why do you think I use the sarcastic, "Good guy with a gun," to describe so many shootings?

Because they commit a lot of ****ing shootings.
not really given the numbers. Less than 2000 murders a year out of 100 million legal gun owners. And you can drop the facade-we both know your main complaint is not the deaths but rather the voting proclivities of gun owners

not really given the numbers. Less than 2000 murders a year out of 100 million legal gun owners. And you can drop the facade-we both know your main complaint is not the deaths but rather the voting proclivities of gun owners
Only "2000," eh? Sheesh.

I'd live to see $2500 yearly insurance premiums tagged to AR-15. That's for sure. Maybe handguns can carry a G-Note.

if you really cared (and we both know you don't) about stopping needless deaths, there are many other things you could actually worry about.
No chance I let you weasel out of discounting 2000 deaths by whining about my threads. Own your indifference, Wear it proudly. Don't snivel.

No chance I let you weasel out of discounting 2000 deaths by whining about my threads. Own your indifference, Wear it proudly. Don't snivel.
ah we have a new tactic "virtue trolling". Pretending to care with copious amounts of crocodile tears in an effort to shame people who don't cause the problems you pretend to care about. Not only don't you actually care about the deaths of innocents-you actually seem to welcome mass shootings as ammunition you can use to attack gun rights advocates.

Sure, lets get criminals to pay their insurance right?

Sure, lets get criminals to pay their insurance right?
with drivers-those with bad driving records, pay higher than someone who goes 20 years without a claim or a ticket. this gun insurance bullshit would cause the people who cause no harm to pay it while gang bangers etc won't bother.

Back
Top Bottom