• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Greatest NFL Quarterback

Bodi

Just waiting for my set...
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Here is my list. Winning is not the most important factor. We also have a QB friendly pass orientated league now.

Other QB's like Young did not play nearly as long as others...

...some just have that ****ing insane skill but are on teams or organizations that just do not win as much.

Here is my list :

TOP TEN Quarterbacks

1. Aaron Rodgers

2. Steve Young

3. Joe Montana

4. Peyton Manning

5. Johnny Unitas

6. Dan Marino

7. John Elway

8. Brett Favre

9. Drew Brees

10. Tom Brady

Notables

Roger Staubach, Otto Graham, Troy Aikman, Bart Starr, Russell Wilson, Sammy Baugh, Boomer Esiason, Phil Simms

Ben Roethlisberger, Jim Kelly, Warren Moon, Fran Tarkenton, Terry Bradshaw, Dan Fouts

And although it is WAAAAYY too early in his career, he still will be one of the greats... Patrick Mahomes...

Love him, or hate him, it's hard to go against Tom Brady - isn't it? The numbers speak for themselves.

IF it was winning... but this is not basketball. A QB can do a ton but if they do not have weapons they will not win. Just look at Mahomes... tones of weapons and kicks ass but then look at Garoppolo... tons of weapons but doesn't do much. When Rogers had the weapons he won. Even without them he wins. And then you have to factor in coaching... Bellicheck is a genius. Coaching in the NFL is FAR FAR more important than in the NBA.

Yeah... Unitas, Marino and Elway are all interchangeable to me but none could crack the Top Four
When Unitas died, Sports Illustrated claimed he was the best there ever was. He was the Willie Mays of QB's, excelling in every aspect demanded by his position. This at a time when he called his own plays, could be clobbered by the defense, and his receivers could be laid out flat anywhere so long as the ball wasn't in the air. Experts rated Montana the best of the newer era, Unitas of the old. Hard to compare the two eras, e.g., Bart Starr was unusual for completing over 60% of passes one year, but that happens often now. One great play from Unitas was when he handed off. Fourth and goal from the six, coach sends in a pass play. Unitas rejects it and hands off to an pretty ordinary runner on a draw. Saw film of the play, the center and the running back walked into the end zone untouched.
Observers suggested he had ice water in his veins.

Curious geographical fact: a number of great QB's came from western PA -- Unitas, Blanda, Montana, Namath, Kelly, Marino.

Here is my list. Winning is not the most important factor. We also have a QB friendly pass orientated league now.

...some just have that ****ing insane skill but are on teams or organizations that just do not win as much.

Here is my list :

TOP TEN Quarterbacks

1. Aaron Rodgers

2. Steve Young

3. Joe Montana

4. Peyton Manning

5. Johnny Unitas

6. Dan Marino

7. John Elway

8. Brett Favre

9. Drew Brees

10. Tom Brady

Notables

Roger Staubach, Otto Graham, Troy Aikman, Bart Starr, Russell Wilson, Sammy Baugh, Boomer Esiason, Phil Simms

Ben Roethlisberger, Jim Kelly, Warren Moon, Fran Tarkenton, Terry Bradshaw, Dan Fouts

And although it is WAAAAYY too early in his career, he still will be one of the greats... Patrick Mahomes...

Don't forget Dan Fouts...

Had he been with a real team I am sure the wins would have come.

When Unitas died, Sports Illustrated claimed he was the best there ever was. He was the Willie Mays of QB's, excelling in every aspect demanded by his position. This at a time when he called his own plays, could be clobbered by the defense, and his receivers could be laid out flat anywhere so long as the ball wasn't in the air. Experts rated Montana the best of the newer era, Unitas of the old. Hard to compare the two eras, e.g., Bart Starr was unusual for completing over 60% of passes one year, but that happens often now. One great play from Unitas was when he handed off. Fourth and goal from the six, coach sends in a pass play. Unitas rejects it and hands off to an pretty ordinary runner on a draw. Saw film of the play, the center and the running back walked into the end zone untouched.
Observers suggested he had ice water in his veins.

Curious geographical fact: a number of great QB's came from western PA -- Unitas, Blanda, Montana, Namath, Kelly, Marino.
I think that I read that Unitas was the first to really use the audible... making all modern day passers what they are.

Don't forget Dan Fouts...

Had he been with a real team I am sure the wins would have come.
He is on my Notable Mentions list... I loved watching him with Charlie Joyner, Kellen Winslow, Chuck Muncie and Wes Chandler.

I think that I read that Unitas was the first to really use the audible... making all modern day passers what they are.
Another great play was back when the hash marks were far wider. Colts on the 2-yard line, ball on right hash mark. At the snap Ray Berry turns left, sprints towards the sideline, one step ahead of the surprised defender. Unitas basically throws a 25-yard pass laterally, which, if it was a yard short, might have been a 98-yard TD interception return. Berry catches it and sidesteps into the end zone. Icewater.

He is on my Notable Mentions list... I loved watching him with Charlie Joyner, Kellen Winslow, Chuck Muncie and Wes Chandler.

That will teach me to read the WHOLE post before knee jerking....

Air Coryell...

Not always winning, but always exciting.

Here is my list :

TOP TEN Quarterbacks

1. Aaron Rodgers

2. Steve Young

3. Joe Montana

4. Peyton Manning

5. Johnny Unitas

6. Dan Marino

7. John Elway

8. Brett Favre

9. Drew Brees

10. Tom Brady

Notables

I think you need to defend your placement, #10, of Brady.

I think you need to defend your placement, #10, of Brady.

I did. It is not about winning only. Having a stud coach detracts from the QB stature. QB's are not hit like they used to be. Brady and others benefit from the past... greatly, mainly the pass friendly league that we have now. Marino, Elway, Young... in this league would shred. Everybody above him with Bellicheck as coach and with Kraft as owner would have won six super bowls. Brady barely has more 4th quarter comebacks than Elway, Unitas, Marino...

I can keep going but perhaps you state why Brady should be number one within the parameters of my arguments.

It is not about winning only.

Oh yes it is. There's only one reason to take the field. To win.

Everybody above him with Bellicheck as coach and with Kraft as owner would have won six super bowls.

You have zero evidence for that.

....................perhaps you state why Brady should be number one within the parameters of my arguments.

His record speaks for itself.

Oh yes it is. There's only one reason to take the field. To win.

So you think that Brad Johnson is a better quarterback than Dan Marino or Jim Kelly?

Eli Manning is better than Steve Young and Aaron Rogers?

I think that we are done here...

Do not embarrass yourself any further....

EDIT: Oh.... I see... you are from Boston. LOL. Figures.

So you think that Brad Johnson is a better quarterback than Dan Marino or Jim Kelly?

Eli Manning is better than Steve Young and Aaron Rogers?

I think that we are done here...

Do not embarrass yourself any further....

EDIT: Oh.... I see... you are from Boston. LOL. Figures.

You've already embarrassed yourself. You can make an argument that Brady isn't number one, but number 10? Come on man, stick with soccer, or rugby, or one of the other lightweight sports.

Here is my list :

TOP TEN Quarterbacks

1. Aaron Rodgers

2. Steve Young

3. Joe Montana

4. Peyton Manning

5. Johnny Unitas

6. Dan Marino

7. John Elway

8. Brett Favre

9. Drew Brees

10. Tom Brady

Notables

Bird couldn't run or jump and had the entire NBA in his torture chamber for 3 straight MVP seasons.

If talent alone wins Super Bowls, then Rodger should have had 6 by now.

IF it was winning... but this is not basketball. A QB can do a ton but if they do not have weapons they will not win. Just look at Mahomes... tones of weapons and kicks ass but then look at Garoppolo... tons of weapons but doesn't do much. When Rogers had the weapons he won. Even without them he wins. And then you have to factor in coaching... Bellicheck is a genius. Coaching in the NFL is FAR FAR more important than in the NBA.

Wrong. Belichick is the best coach ever, but he say's that he learned a lot from Brady.

Belichick has stated many times the he needed to be on his A game every Tuesday for quarterback meetings because Brady could recall defensive tendencies of every single team that they played over the last 3 years before they even watched the videos. Belichick & Daniels gave Brady a lot of latitude on input in these meetings because he was essentially a coach on the field. Brady often knew ahead of time what defense was going to do before the opposing defense knew what it was going to do.

Brady's been called a system QB many times but people don't understand that it's a system that he helped build. Manning was much like Brady, in that he had a lot of input into the game plans.

Brady and Belichick on exchanging ideas:
“It’s a get-ahead day. It’s talking about the opponent, their strengths and weaknesses, things we’ve seen,” said Brady. “We’ve both done a lot of film study, so we compare what we’ve seen, and what we think, and how we want to prepare going forward.”

1. Brady

2. Manning

3. Montana

4. Unitas

5. Elway tie with Young

6. Rodgers

7. Brees

8. Marino & Wilson

Reactions: AJG
JOHN ELWAY
He seems way underrated when these lists come out. IMO, he was right there with Joe in the late 80’s, and the best QB in the league in the early nineties.

I really have liked Russell Wilson from day one, he's got a lot of rushing yards to add for total yds, and now Patrick Mahomes.

I would put Philip Rivers in the top ten. He's 9th all time QB rating and accomplished what he did never having a very good team around him. IMO.

I really have liked Russell Wilson from day one, he's got a lot of rushing yards to add for total yds, and now Patrick Mahomes.

I would put Philip Rivers in the top ten. He's 9th all time QB rating and accomplished what he did never having a very good team around him. IMO.

Andy Reid and Patrick Mahomes are a match made in heaven.

I think Reid is the best coach in the NFL when it comes to coaching QB's because he builds his system to fit the QB, unlike a Arian's type coach who stubbornly wants a QB to fit his system.

Wrong. Belichick is the best coach ever, but he say's that he learned a lot from Brady.

Belichick has stated many times the he needed to be on his A game every Tuesday for quarterback meetings because Brady could recall defensive tendencies of every single team that they played over the last 3 years before they even watched the videos. Belichick & Daniels gave Brady a lot of latitude on input in these meetings because he was essentially a coach on the field. Brady often knew ahead of time what defense was going to do before the opposing defense knew what it was going to do.

Brady's been called a system QB many times but people don't understand that it's a system that he helped build. Manning was much like Brady, in that he had a lot of input into the game plans.

Brady and Belichick on exchanging ideas:
“It’s a get-ahead day. It’s talking about the opponent, their strengths and weaknesses, things we’ve seen,” said Brady. “We’ve both done a lot of film study, so we compare what we’ve seen, and what we think, and how we want to prepare going forward.”

1. Brady

2. Manning

3. Montana

4. Unitas

5. Elway tie with Young

6. Rodgers

7. Brees

8. Marino & Wilson

LOL, Brady #1? Just because one is lucky doesn't make you #1.

This is a lota luck amigo.

View attachment 67310494

Actually the rest of the NFL is lucky he doesn't have 8 or 9 rings.

1. Seahawks run the ball, they win the SB

2. Falcons run the ball, they win the SB

3. It is pretty much undisputed the Patriots cheated against the St. Louis Rams.

Half of Brady's SB come with a major *

5 best players in the history of the NFL in any order:

Lawrence Taylor

Jim Brown

Randy Moss

Tom Brady

Walter Payton

Back
Top Bottom