• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

GOP wants to increase defense spending while demanding even more cuts elsewhere

j brown's body

"A Soros-backed animal"
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
"A source familiar with the negotiations said Republicans had proposed an increase in defense spending, while cutting overall spending. The source also said House Republicans wanted to extend tax cuts passed under then-President Donald Trump, which would add $3.5 trillion to the federal debt.

The source said the Biden administration had proposed keeping non-defense discretionary spending flat for the next year.

Another person familiar with the talks said Republicans' latest proposal included "steep" cuts over a longer period of time than recent budget deals, as well as a variety of measures that irk Democrats, including work requirements for aid, cuts to food assistance and less money for the tax-collecting Internal Revenue Service."

Link

It is difficult to take the Republican's concern about the debt seriously when they want to increase funding for the most overfunded agency in the history of the world.

"A source familiar with the negotiations said Republicans had proposed an increase in defense spending, while cutting overall spending. The source also said House Republicans wanted to extend tax cuts passed under then-President Donald Trump, which would add $3.5 trillion to the federal debt.

The source said the Biden administration had proposed keeping non-defense discretionary spending flat for the next year.

Another person familiar with the talks said Republicans' latest proposal included "steep" cuts over a longer period of time than recent budget deals, as well as a variety of measures that irk Democrats, including work requirements for aid, cuts to food assistance and less money for the tax-collecting Internal Revenue Service."

Link

It is difficult to take the Republican's concern about the debt seriously when they want to increase funding for the most overfunded agency in the history of the world.
I wonder if anyone here truly understands the role of the Federal govt so let me remind you, PROVIDE FOR THE COMMON DEFENSE

Not that I agree with the GOP on increasing spending I will point out that the Defense spending is a very small percentage of the US Budget which in 2022 was 6.0 Trillion dollars, 636 is what, 10% of the budget? This shows just how out of touch the left is with the Constitution of the United States. If any line items in the budget need to be increased it should be Defense

DEPARTMENTBUDGET
DEPT OF DEFENSE$636.4

Link

So nothing new, basically.

I wonder if anyone here truly understands the role of the Federal govt so let me remind you, PROVIDE FOR THE COMMON DEFENSE

Not that I agree with the GOP on increasing spending I will point out that the Defense spending is a very small percentage of the US Budget which in 2022 was 6.0 Trillion dollars, 636 is what, 10% of the budget? This shows just how out of touch the left is with the Constitution of the United States. If any line items in the budget need to be increased it should be Defense

DEPARTMENTBUDGET
DEPT OF DEFENSE$636.4

The waste in defense spending is monumental.

And include with "to provide for the common defense promote the general Welfare."

The waste in defense spending is monumental.

And include with "to provide for the common defense promote the general Welfare."
Right and promote doesn't mean provide, does it? All social programs except those funded by FICA should return to the states

Right and promote doesn't mean provide, does it? All social programs except those funded by FICA should return to the states

The waste in defense spending is monumental, the spending should go to promoting the general Welfare.

Don't worry about it providing for the general welfare. You can rest assured that with even increased spending there, the poor still suffer.

It is difficult to take Democrats seriously when it appears their party wants to do the exact same thing. Which side of their mouths will they talk out of next?

Last edited:
does that spending include all the money Dem's are sending Ukraine ?

but no, I'd cut spending EVERYWHERE - sometimes it hurts to correct massive wrongs, and there is going to be pain dealing with 33 trillion

if this Govt wants to get it under control .... or, they can continue spending trillions with no accountability and eventually the USA will default on its debt .... I guess we could go that route too

It is difficult to take Democrats seriously when it appears their party wants to do the exact same thing...

Keeping it flat and then doing a 1% or so increase each year until tax revenues catch up wouldn’t be a bad approach.

The waste in defense spending is monumental, the spending should go to promoting the general Welfare.

Don't worry about it providing for the general welfare. You can rest assured that with even increased spending there, the poor still suffer.
And yet according to the link I posted the budget is a little over 600 billion dollars for defense out of a 6.0 trillion dollar budget. Doesn't appear that many on the left truly understand the line items or the reality that it isn't the federal responsibility or expense to handle any social issue other than SS and Medicare. Doesn't seem to matter how much social spending there is as the poor will continue to suffer with no consequences for poor personal choices.

Give up your Medicare and send back your social security check first.
There you go again, totally clueless about these self and employer funded programs. Give me back what I contributed for 35 years and I will be happy to do that

Budgets should be dealt within the budget process. It is clear to me the GOP is setting this up for a deliberate fail. Making new demands is not negotating. A responsible approach would be to use this opportunity to establish a framework with specific targets for both cuts and a timeframe to meet those targets within the debt ceiling legislation. Then it should go back to the various appropriation committees to hammer out budgets that achieve those goals.

Many years ago the drafters of the Constitution of the United States of America warned about the negative impact of 'factions'. Our two major political parties are factions.

Those same drafters could conceive of no remedy against factions. They relied upon the good character of those elected to legislative and administrative government functions.

We reap in legislation what we, the voters have sowed at the polls.

Regards, stay safe 'n well

Keeping it flat and then doing a 1% or so increase each year until tax revenues catch up wouldn’t be a bad approach.
Which is fine, but I haven't seen any will to do that on the part of Congress. Biden is asking for the largest Pentagon budget in history. Democrats held majorities in both chambers last year. They not only fulfilled Biden's requests last year but exceeded it by almost $50 billion over what was requested.

Last edited:
And yet according to the link I posted the budget is a little over 600 billion dollars for defense out of a 6.0 trillion dollar budget. Doesn't appear that many on the left truly understand the line items or the reality that it isn't the federal responsibility or expense to handle any social issue other than SS and Medicare. Doesn't seem to matter how much social spending there is as the poor will continue to suffer with no consequences for poor personal choices.
Yeah, losing a job and being made homeless as a result, or mortgage interest rates overtaking salaries, resulting in foreclosure and repossession, or becoming sick and unable to work are "poor personal choices". Got any more right-wing cliches to share; maybe along the lines of "personal responsibility"? Or how about just simply saying, 'I got mine, screw anyone else', because that's the attitude I see all the time in smug, condescending, morally bankrupt and self-righteous conservatives who care for nothing and nobody but themselves, while preaching about the 'failures' of others and how they made 'poor choices'.

Last edited:
I wonder if anyone here truly understands the role of the Federal govt so let me remind you, PROVIDE FOR THE COMMON DEFENSE ...
.... which we spend more on than the next 20+ countries ... COMBINED !

And 95% of those are OUR ALLIES !

I don't oppose defense spending. I support the military 100%. Big military backer. While I understand the waste and corruption and of course oppose it, I see the military as people. Proud Americans. I support the troops and the vets. It would seem the Democrats have become the defenders of veterans lately.

Anyway, I don't oppose military spending and I don't oppose getting the debt under control. What I oppose strongly is doing this as a condition of raising the debt limit. Take it to the budget committee where it belongs.

It is difficult to take Democrats seriously when it appears their party wants to do the exact same thing. Which side of their mouths will they talk out of next?

Keeping it flat is actually a reduction because it was projected to grow.

.... which we spend more on than the next 20+ countries ... COMBINED !

And 95% of those are OUR ALLIES !

Yeah, clearly the GOP does not care about reducing the debt if they want to throw more money at the most overfunded agency in the history of the world.

Which is fine, but I haven't seen any will to do that on the part of Congress. Biden is asking for the largest Pentagon budget in history. Democrats held majorities in both chambers last year. They not only fulfilled Biden's requests last year but exceeded it by almost $50 billion over what was requested.
Yeah, I can’t support that. The pentagon should clean house with their wasteful spending for a few years.

Maybe I’m missing something since I think you should pay your bills already incurred.

Why negotiations?

Shouldn’t the house just pass their budget with increased defense spending, tax cuts, and cuts to social programs as part of the budget process?

WW

Keeping it flat is actually a reduction because it was projected to grow.
They don't want to keep it flat. Apparently Biden proposed doing that for everything but defense...

Yeah, I can’t support that. The pentagon should clean house with their wasteful spending for a few years.
Here you go; billions of dollars-worth of perfectly serviceable aircraft, sitting idle basking in the Arizona sunshine, many of which never even flew, except to get there:
55836v.jpg

2012-02-20-10-58-37.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom