• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

GOP Makeover = Same old Same O

calamity

Privileged
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Why is it that the GOP is all about keeping government out of our lives except, of course, when they want to keep government in our lives? Hypocrites or pandering to the idiots who vote for them...I really cannot decide which is which when it comes to the party which thinks laws that protect the voting rights of minorities are an overreach but those which reach into the bedroom and put limits on what you can do to your own body are just fine.

Court Rulings on Gay Marriage and Voting Rights Test GOP Makeover - NationalJournal.com

House Speaker John Boehner spent at least $2.3 million to defend the federal law banning same-sex marriage -- a cause dear to the Republican base -- but you couldn't tell from his muted reaction when the U.S. Supreme Court struck it down.

“While I am obviously disappointed in the ruling, it is always critical that we protect our system of checks and balances,” Boehner said Wednesday in a statement. The day before, he didn’t respond at all to the court’s blow to the Voting Rights Act, even though the decision could protect the Republican majority in Congress for years to come.

Boehner’s cautious positioning reflects the squeeze both court rulings put on a Republican Party torn between its traditional values and a desire to modernize and expand before the 2014 and 2016 elections. Crusading against gay marriage, a timeworn Republican strategy to rally social conservatives, is out of step with polls that show increasing support for gay marriage, particularly among young voters. The court also put congressional Republicans on the spot by demanding a rewrite of the landmark law protecting minority voting rights, setting up potentially awkward battles with African-American and Hispanic leaders that would reprise the rallying cry in those communities last year over voter ID laws.

Why is it that the GOP is all about keeping government out of our lives except, of course, when they want to keep government in our lives? Hypocrites or pandering to the idiots who vote for them...I really cannot decide which is which when it comes to the party which thinks laws that protect the voting rights of minorities are an overreach but those which reach into the bedroom and put limits on what you can do to your own body are just fine.

Court Rulings on Gay Marriage and Voting Rights Test GOP Makeover - NationalJournal.com

you do know that doma was signed by clinton and passed by an overwhelming bipartisan majority rught????but its only republicans you blame????????

you do know that doma was signed by clinton and passed by an overwhelming bipartisan majority rught????but its only republicans you blame????????

Democrats like big gvt. So Clinton signing the law makes sense. THe GOP defending it does not.

Democrats like big gvt. So Clinton signing the law makes sense. THe GOP defending it does not.

so essentially you just admitted you love everything you attack the gop for,unlkess the democrats supported it,nice hypocricy.

so essentially you just admitted you love everything you attack the gop for,unlkess the democrats supported it,nice hypocricy.

What? I pretty much hate democrats too. All the same...in too many ways. But, for the most part, Dems are more consistent. GOP tends to speak out of their ass with a forked tongue.

Why is it that the GOP is all about keeping government out of our lives except, of course, when they want to keep government in our lives?

All government officials want only one thing....retention of power. The bigger the government, the easier it is to retain that power. It's no longer "Democrats vs. Republicans" as much as it's "Government vs. Citizens."

All government officials want only one thing....retention of power. The bigger the government, the easier it is to retain that power. It's no longer "Democrats vs. Republicans" as much as it's "Government vs. Citizens."
There is a lot of truth to that.

BTW, the government still says that multiple consenting adults cannot marry nor can I hire a prostitute. Someone needs to start working on that asap.

Democrat or Republican. Same clowns that vote for them. Just different circus's. The hypocrites abound. Unfortunately few people are willing to call out members of their own parties. It's a type of bias blind spot.

Democrat or Republican. Same clowns that vote for them. Just different circus's. The hypocrites abound. Unfortunately few people are willing to call out members of their own parties. It's a type of bias blind spot.

Drug laws, especially those keeping marijuana on the federal controlled substance list, seem to have bipartisan stupid behind them. Obama hasn't the balls to call off the dogs on medical dispensaries, and no one in Congress has guts enough to call for changing the laws.

Speaking of MJ
Marijuana Legalization Gains Support, Confounding Policymakers

Ignorance still seems to be the mainstay.
"We're on this hundred-mile-an-hour freight train to legalizing a third addictive substance," says Kevin Sabet, a former drug policy adviser in the Obama administration, lumping marijuana with tobacco and alcohol.
Marijuana is not addictive. Ask any one of the millions who no longer partake. Short of a little psychological dependency, pot is a take it or leave it drug.

And that is why citizens should stop supporting political parties and start working toward restoring lost freedoms and getting the federal government under control. To complain about which side of the aisle is screwing us isn't fixing anything.

Speaking of MJ
Marijuana Legalization Gains Support, Confounding Policymakers

Ignorance still seems to be the mainstay.

Marijuana is not addictive. Ask any one of the millions who no longer partake. Short of a little psychological dependency, pot is a take it or leave it drug.

You're right it isn't addictive. I'm not sure being addictive is the government's business. I, for instance, am addicted to a prescription drug that balances my body chemistry. It is necessary for me to lead a normal life and I will have that addiction the rest of that normal life. It's not even a burden. I just take a pill a day. I don't even notice that I have the problem.

And that is why citizens should stop supporting political parties and start working toward restoring lost freedoms and getting the federal government under control. To complain about which side of the aisle is screwing us isn't fixing anything.

It's too late. Too many tragically ignorant or stupid people have been brainwashed by the media, government schools, etc.

They believe what they read, because it's all that they're given.

You're right it isn't addictive. I'm not sure being addictive is the government's business. I, for instance, am addicted to a prescription drug that balances my body chemistry. It is necessary for me to lead a normal life and I will have that addiction the rest of that normal life. It's not even a burden. I just take a pill a day. I don't even notice that I have the problem.

Yep. THe government needs to stay out of our bodies.

Back to taking a look at the title of the OP, looks like a certain segment of the GOP doesn't want to turn over a new leaf.

Here's the GOP position candidly stated.
“The people that Republicans ought to reach out to are white voters,” Schlafly said lat month during an appearance on conservative radio show Focus Today, in which she said “there is not any evidence at all that these Hispanics coming in from Mexico will vote Republican.”
:shock: Really?

Do continue, Phyllis.
“I don’t they have Republican inclinations at all,” Schlafly said. “They’re running an illegitimacy rate that’s just about the same as blacks are.”

Phyllis Schlafly: Latinos Don't Get Bill Of Rights, Have Too Many Kids

Back
Top Bottom