• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

GOP/DEM Continuing Resolution Would Add over 500bn in debt.

Im not your guy, pal. No, debt to GDP is not important. Its only purpose is to make the number 16,000,000,000 look smaller.

I didn't say you were "my" guy. I simply called you "guy" - which, if the information that's on the left side of your post is accurate - entirely appropriate.

And 16T is a tree in the forest of our national economy. It's a really big tree, but is actually not that big compared to the rest of the forest as a whole (which comparison is the debt-to-GDP ratio)...

...and you're not seeing the rest of the forest because you're focusing on that one tree. 16T is only a bad thing IF our economy is weakened to the point that we CAN'T do something about it. Taxes were slashed to 25% in the 1920's, in 1981, and when Bush 43 was in control...

...and what happened each and every time? The three biggest economic debacles since WWI - the Great Depression, the 1982 recession, and the Great Recession.

Gee, do we see a pattern here?

HOWEVER, when we had high government spending AND high government taxes, what happened? The economy did Just Fine.

Why is that? WHY is it that every time when taxes are slashed to 25%, our economy got slammed? And WHY is it that when we had high taxes AND high government spending, our economy as a whole did just fine?

WHY is that? This is the question I keep presenting to conservatives and libertarians and NONE of them have been able to show how their dogma explains these events.

Can you?

I didn't say you were "my" guy. I simply called you "guy" - which, if the information that's on the left side of your post is accurate - entirely appropriate.

And 16T is a tree in the forest of our national economy. It's a really big tree, but is actually not that big compared to the rest of the forest as a whole (which comparison is the debt-to-GDP ratio)...

...and you're not seeing the rest of the forest because you're focusing on that one tree. 16T is only a bad thing IF our economy is weakened to the point that we CAN'T do something about it. Taxes were slashed to 25% in the 1920's, in 1981, and when Bush 43 was in control...

...and what happened each and every time? The three biggest economic debacles since WWI - the Great Depression, the 1982 recession, and the Great Recession.

Gee, do we see a pattern here?

HOWEVER, when we had high government spending AND high government taxes, what happened? The economy did Just Fine.

Why is that? WHY is it that every time when taxes are slashed to 25%, our economy got slammed? And WHY is it that when we had high taxes AND high government spending, our economy as a whole did just fine?

WHY is that? This is the question I keep presenting to conservatives and libertarians and NONE of them have been able to show how their dogma explains these events.

Can you?

Its a South PArk joke. And 'a lot' is subjective. To me, 16 trillion is lot. Trillion dollar deficits are a lot. We need to be dealing with it NOW, not adding to it.

Its a South PArk joke. And 'a lot' is subjective. To me, 16 trillion is lot. Trillion dollar deficits are a lot. We need to be dealing with it NOW, not adding to it.

Problem is, if you slash spending, then you do real and lasting damage to the economy...which means you have even less with which to deal with the debt. This is what Greece and Spain are finding out the hard way - austerity didn't help them at all - it only weakened their economies to the point where it's even harder to address the problem in the first place.

Slashing government spending to 'fix' the national debt is sorta like a small ferry business switching from a motorboat to a sailboat in order to save money to pay off a loan. Sure, the cost of sailing that sailboat is a LOT less than the cost of operating that motorboat is...but in the meantime, your competitors who decided to keep their motorboats are eating your lunch and taking your business...and you're making less money with which to pay off that loan.

Slashing government spending DOES affect the economy...and if history is any guide, slashing government spending HARMS the economy...which means we have even less tax revenue with which to address the loans we've already taken out.

Or you need to make an arguement. Its a debate forum. Its not my job to make your argument for you.

Look man I just made an observation

You claimed the debt was an issue. I agree. I was just pointing out that the rich are being subsidized with that debt. I don't really understand why that was so difficult for you to understand.

Look man I just made an observation

You claimed the debt was an issue. I agree. I was just pointing out that the rich are being subsidized with that debt. I don't really understand why that was so difficult for you to understand.

You have yet to say why that matters.

You have yet to say why that matters.

Yea man

The Fed robbing your savings to subsidize the rich and creating more debt doesn't matter

#smh

Back
Top Bottom