• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Good Books on the U.S. Constitution

HikerGuy83

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
I just grabbed a copy of "America's Constitution" by Akhil Reed Amar. I don't know much about him, but I've heard some good things.

Just wondering what else people have read and why the liked....didn't like it.

I'll let you know as I progress through this one.

A must read: Robert Bork’s The Tempting of America: The Political Seduction of the Law.

IMHO, a topic so broad as the US Constitution would be virtually impossible to describe or discuss in a single book or even a series of books.

My personal areas of (major) Constitutional concern are 1) the constant expansion of federal government powers, control and expense and 2) the idea that the POTUS (via EO/EA and other executive department, agency and/or program ‘rule making’ or ‘regulation’) can create, change or ignore federal laws without need for specific legislation passed by the US House and US Senate.

Discussing the federal government power (and its abuse?) to ‘regulate commerce’ alone could be the basis for several books and DP threads.

The Federalist Papers (Hamilton, Jay and Madison), the Broken Constitution (Noah Feldman), Habeas Corpus in Wartime (Amanda Tyler), Religion and the Constitution (Berg, Garvey and McConnell) and a good textbook of constitutional history for the whole Anglo-American constitutional experience.

@ttwtt78640 I have never heard of the book "America's Constitution" by Akhil Reed Amar. I'll give it a look. Thanks for the heads up.

Cheers and be well.
Evilroddy.

It depth on the depth that you want to get.

Most of these are on sale for under $50.00

I could ad 10+ more books on political philosophy if you are interested because that is my college minor.

Books by Erwin Chemerinsky are not light reading but he is an amazing mind if you want to get that deep in the subject.

It depth on the depth that you want to get.

Most of these are on sale for under $50.00

I could ad 10+ more books on political philosophy if you are interested because that is my college minor.

Books by Erwin Chemerinsky are not light reading but he is an amazing mind if you want to get that deep in the subject.

Wow. Thanks.

I just grabbed a copy of "America's Constitution" by Akhil Reed Amar. I don't know much about him, but I've heard some good things.

Just came upon this thread. I'll be back.

I just found a book in my antique book collection that I inherited.

The Constitution Of The United States
Its Sources And Its Application

by, Thomas James Norton

the printing date says 1961

I'm looking forward to reading it.

I just found a book in my antique book collection that I inherited.

The Constitution Of The United States
Its Sources And Its Application

by, Thomas James Norton

the printing date says 1961

I'm looking forward to reading it.

A book from 1961 isn’t an antique book.

Old enough for me. I'm actually not sure what edition it is only that the last printing date on the inside is 1961.
It is interesting to read older books, as they often take a different view than others.

Much of what makes a book on "the Constitution" "good" depends on what you are looking for. History of its creation? How to interpret it? History of its application? Critique? Confirmation of your biases?

The question posed has got me thinking. My initial take goes back and forward. I'll be back with more thoughts - and links. I plan to provide some of each - background, debates, history and critique, from "Law, Liberty and the Constitution" to "Allow me to Retort".

Here’s some pics of the book. I tried googling every which way but it never really came up. I never found it in images with the title as it’s seen on the front cover. In any case I have skimmed it and I’m sure it will be a good read. I like the idea of it tell of the “application of”.

8DFF9202-85BF-4990-A01A-B502788BCCC4.jpeg17BCD67A-A486-48F0-A0E9-FA1C09B395DF.jpeg17BCD67A-A486-48F0-A0E9-FA1C09B395DF.jpeg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom