• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

GM Supervisor: "There was never a black person who was lynched that didn't deserve it."

Re: GM Supervisor: "There was never a black person who was lynched that didn't deserve it."

And given the opportunity, you’d screw over hundreds of thousands of innocent people just to make a point. Sounds familiar.
Red:
Well, you just keep thinking that....

Re: GM Supervisor: "There was never a black person who was lynched that didn't deserve it."

The northern states have been/are every bit as unaccepting of desegregation of the black and white citizens. I hadn’t been in the service very long when Boston showed it’s displeasure at bussing children to other school districts. I thought then that geographically it was odd, but with further reading, northern attitudes aren’t all that different among certain people.

That's largely what helped get Trump elected in those Northern States.

.... Buried, not bailed out, is what GM deserved.​

... So fair or not fair, it's the way it goes....

All sorts of innocent folks get screwed by all sorts of things. The furloughed workers and the kids of furloughed workers who can't participate in whatever "kid thing" they would were their parents not gov't employees are innocent folks screwed by the ill-considered actions of others.

Nobody is free from that risk. When what was once but a risk comes to fruition, one must deal with it.

Choices have consequences.

Red:
Well, you just keep thinking that....

Not what I think, what you said.​

Some of us had bought into this crazy myth that human societies progress through history.

They do, some just take longer than others. For example, we don't burn witches anymore. Mankind can be very stubborn sometimes.

Not what I think, what you said.

I wondered how long it'd take for you to try to "splice" my remarks and disregard the complete explication of my position on the matter, something I provided you in post 12. I guess now I know.

It's, of course, okay that you did, for now I know you how you conduct yourself discursively. I assure you, I won't again make myself susceptible to your splicing of the full nature of my thoughts.

I wondered how long it'd take for you to try to "splice" my remarks and disregard the complete explication of my position on the matter, something I provided you in post 12. I guess now I know.

It's, of course, okay that you did, for now I know you how you conduct yourself discursively. I assure you, I won't again make myself susceptible to your splicing of the full nature of my thoughts.

Don’t be unhappy with me because I managed to pull the truth out of you. Choices have consequences.

On March 22, 2017, a General Motors' factory worker Mark Edwards (59) arrived at his work area inside a GM transmission plant in Toledo. Upon arriving there, he found someone had hung a noose by his work station.

That wasn't the first time Edwards, who's worked at various GM plants since 1977, has encountered racial harassment and slurs, all of which he reported to his union reps and managers; however, as with the prior incidents, he received nothing more than lip-service in response to his complaints. The March incident was, however, the first one about which he determined to no longer "grin and bear it.

Edwards and eight other workers have sued GM, alleging the company has allowed racial discrimination and has failed to take prompt corrective action after the workers reported acts of racism at the GM Powertrain & Fabrications plant. Some of the nine, including Edwards, still work there, and others have quit or transferred to other GM plants.
(Source)​
Specific behaviors the lawsuit cites:​

• [*=1]White employees calling black employees "boy."
    [*=1]A female black employee being called a crude, racist slur.
    [*=1]Swastikas painted and scratched on restroom stalls.
    [*=1]Stick figures with nooses around their necks drawn on restroom stalls.
    [*=1]White workers wore shirts under their coveralls with visible Nazi symbols on them.
    [*=1]Black employees told to be careful because a white employee's "daddy was in the Ku Klan Klan."
    [*=1]White workers telling black workers to go back to Africa.
    [*=1]"Whites Only" signs hung on restroom stall doors and written on walls outside the men's restroom.
    [*=1]A white supervisor, at a meeting, saying, "What's the big deal about nooses? There was never a black person who was lynched that didn't deserve it." The supervisor was not disciplined, the lawsuit said.
GM's response:​
"Every day, everyone at General Motors is expected to uphold a set of values that are integral to the fabric of our culture. Discrimination and harassment are not acceptable and in stark contrast to how we expect people to show up at work. General Motors is taking this matter seriously and addressing it through the appropriate court process."
-- Detroit Free Press, "Nooses, Nazis and racist slurs tolerated at GM plant, lawsuit says
There're subtle forms of racism, and unabashedly, conservatives seem abjectly ignorant of them; thus it wouldn't surprise me to see some of them posit a cockamamy exculpation, perhaps that a bunch of Jains put the swastikas on the walls and that it was they wearing thus decorated shirts. Asserting that every Black lynching was warranted, wearing swastikas, admonitions to Blacks that allude to KKK involvement, and hoisting a noose at a man's work station aren't subtle!

That is what's been going on at GM. And the American people, including Black Americans, saw their tax dollars used to bail out that firm. Buried, not bailed out, is what GM deserved.

Why didn't the mans union do anything about this?

This falls under a safe work environment.

The northern states have been/are every bit as unaccepting of desegregation of the black and white citizens. I hadn’t been in the service very long when Boston showed it’s displeasure at bussing children to other school districts. I thought then that geographically it was odd, but with further reading, northern attitudes aren’t all that different among certain people.

You use the example of bussing as an example of nonacceptance of desegregation?

People are opposed to bussing because they want their children to be schooled close to their home in case anything happens to them.

Why didn't the mans union do anything about this?

This falls under a safe work environment.

Your guess is as good as mine. I'd say it's because his union consists of and is run by a bunch of incompetents and degenerates, some folks in the union's "chain of command" responsible for taking punitive action in response to Edwards et al's complaints may have both qualities.

You use the example of bussing as an example of nonacceptance of desegregation?

People are opposed to bussing because they want their children to be schooled close to their home in case anything happens to them.

I can only show the horse the water.........I was specific geographically for a purpose. And I was wrong, busing doesn’t follow the usual grammatical dictum that you double the last letter when adding “ing.”

I can only show the horse the water.........I was specific geographically for a purpose. And I was wrong, busing doesn’t follow the usual grammatical dictum that you double the last letter when adding “ing.”

You should have known that in your first post about busing. I copied your spelling of the word.

You should have known that in your first post about busing. I copied your spelling of the word.

Sure you right! :lamo

Red and Off-Topic:

il_340x270.558335956_j9f9.jpg

Seriously, Mason? S/he spelled "busing" incorrectly, so you did too? When someone else makes a mistake, one/others need not mimic it. One can say something about it or not, at one's discretion, but there's no good reason to repeat it.

FWIW, if you quote another person in your own prose, you quote them and use [sic] to indicate the misspelling "belongs" to the person you're quoting. For example:
  • People are opposed to "bussing" [sic] because they want their children to...

Blue and Off-Topic:
The above notwithstanding, how can you sit there and tell him/her what s/he should have known, when it appears by your own prose, you knew no better?

Red and Off-Topic:

il_340x270.558335956_j9f9.jpg

Seriously, Mason? S/he spelled "busing" incorrectly, so you did too? When someone else makes a mistake, one/others need not mimic it. One can say something about it or not, at one's discretion, but there's no good reason to repeat it.

FWIW, if you quote another person in your own prose, you quote them and use [sic] to indicate the misspelling "belongs" to the person you're quoting. For example:
  • People are opposed to "bussing" [sic] because they want their children to...

Blue and Off-Topic:
The above notwithstanding, how can you sit there and tell him/her what s/he should have known, when it appears by your own prose, you knew no better?

I know that but I am en English speaker that has been living in Mexico for 20 years.

I am getting more and more confused on the spelling of words.

I tried to use spell check but it didn't give me busing, so I went with the other spelling.

So fair or not fair, it's the way it goes....But that fate need not befall one if one refuses to keep company with reprobates and one with alacrity acts to excise such boors from the "corpus" before they can do the sort of damage that'd bring down a firm. And what does it take for one to do that? Just a little decency, a little problity [sic].

Perhaps more than just a little decency and probity in the case of such a large and established company. Fortunately for all their other workers it seems unlikely that this will bring GM down - though there might be considerable staffing rearrangements at that plant.

I know that but I am en English speaker that has been living in Mexico for 20 years.

I am getting more and more confused on the spelling of words.

I tried to use spell check but it didn't give me busing, so I went with the other spelling.

Red:
As a fellow global traveler, I feel you.

Back
Top Bottom