• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Ginsburg: Senate should hold SCOTUS confirmation hearing during election year!

The Reps are doing now and did what they did before when they held back Obama's SC nomination because they're a lot smarter in what they do via political action than the Dems, period. Dems wrongly, errantly, think they have principle. Reps know better. They know life and reality in politics has no principle but to win what is most important. Packing the SC is most important. Maybe for a generation. The Rep senators that might be voted out of office will be received as higher-paying lobbyist, adviser, lawyer or whatever with open arms. Sweet deal.

I am a lifelong Republican. I am not interested in switching to the Democrats. If I were to switch, I would be an Independent.

Simply because I don't worship Trump and think the GOP has poor leadership, doesn't make me a Democrat.
While I really hate to tell people I don't believe them on such things because I don't like it myself when it happens to me, it is quite hard to believe that with all the lefty posts you make on here that you are a lifelong Republican and still are. I battle with you all the time on your lefty posts.

While I really hate to tell people I don't believe them on such things because I don't like it myself when it happens to me, it is quite hard to believe that with all the lefty posts you make on here that you are a lifelong Republican and still are. I battle with you all the time on your lefty posts.

Show your work. What "lefty" posts have I made?

What this thread omits is the point that McConnell decided a SC nominee shouldn't be decided during an election year.

Sure, when the White House and Senate are split. The Senate is not a rubber stamp for White House appointees.

Show your work. What "lefty" posts have I made?
OK. I give up. Not because I don't think I can but because you are not worth my time. However, I have to warn you, I have a long memory and will point out your next lefty post. Maybe you can make things easier by pointing out all of the conservative values that you believe in and the lefty values that you don't.

High ground = showing morality and character. The GOP's push to get a nominee through the court shows lack of high ground.

There is nothing immoral about following the letter of the Constitution. In all cases the political party with the power will use that power. The Democrats never pass up an opportunity to exert power, so why should the Republicans?

The Democrats only find this "moral" standing when it is their ox getting gored.

If I were a Senator, I would have allowed Garland to get a hearing AND whoever Trump picks. That's called character and morality.

LOL. No you wouldn't. Democrats always take the "high road" in these scenarios they never have to actually act on when they are the ones without the power.

We see that ALL the time. During the impeachment hearings the Democrats railroaded the House hearings because they were the ones with the power, calling only their preferred witnesses, releasing only their preferred closed door testimony.... then it goes to the Senate and suddenly they scream about fairness.

As I said during the impeachment process, the Democrats need to eat a peck of ****.

And now they get to repeat their immoral behavior with Kavanaugh with Amy Coney Barret (most likely) where the Democrats will spend the hearings attacking the religion of 20% of the American voters just before the election because the Democrats are ****ing stupid.

Last edited:
Sorry, but the right-wing cannot logically weasel there way out of this one. McConnell and his pals made it clear in 2016 that the President shouldn't be allowed to nominate a SCOTUS during an election cycle. Lindsay Graham even said "hold the tape" in 2016 and 2018.

Ginsburg is correct that the Presidents should be allowed to exercise their constitutional powers and nominate somebody to replace a vacancy, but the problem here is that the GOP is betraying their own precedent.

Fox News can try their best and spin it, but it doesn't change the fact that GOP is trying it have it both ways.

They aren't trying to have it both ways, they actually are having it both ways.

Trump will nominate someone by this weekend and that nominee is going to be confirmed by the Senate. There isn't one thing that the Democrats can do to stop it. Will it come back to haunt them? More than likely. Will they pay a price in THIS election? Probably not. I actually think it will help them and the fact that they're going full steam ahead with it tells me that they think it helps them, too.

There is no defense of what the GOP is doing. It's complete hypocrisy. Would the Dems have done the same thing, if the shoe was on the other foot, the answer is most likely. But the GOP cannot hold the high ground here.

Sure there is. They control the White House and the Senate. The defense is that they have the right to fill the seat, period.

OK. I give up. Not because I don't think I can but because you are not worth my time. However, I have to warn you, I have a long memory and will point out your next lefty post. Maybe you can make things easier by pointing out all of the conservative values that you believe in and the lefty values that you don't.

You really want a "list"? I consider myself to be a moderate Republican. Whenever I take political tests, they say I am either moderate or tilt to the right.

My current positions (Some, not all):

- Pro-Life
- Oppose Capital Punishment
- Oppose recreational marijuana. Support medical marijuana.
- Support more restrictions on the process of purchasing guns, but do not support gun bans.
- Support LGBTQ rights. I support gay marriage, and believe gender identity and sexual orientation should be added to federal protected classes.
- Support a flat tax.
- Reducing income tax rates for all income groups and businesses.
- Oppose Medicare-For-All and support the Affordable Care Act (everybody should have health-care insurance, protect people with pre-existing conditions).
- Oppose illegal immigration. No sanctuary cities. They should go back to their home country. There should be a program for Dreamers though.
- Believe in Climate Change, but it should be a business-friendly policies. We shouldn't be putting anybody out of work or squeeze the middle and lower class.
- I agree with Trump on foreign policy.
- Support free trade policies and think Trump has improved NAFTA.
- I voted for Kasich in the 2016 Republican Primary, vote for Trump in 2016 as the "least of the evils".
- Supported Jon Huntsman in 2012.

You want more? As I said before, I am pretty down-the-middle.

You really want a "list"? I consider myself to be a moderate Republican. Whenever I take political tests, they say I am either moderate or tilt to the right.

- Pro-Life
- Support more restrictions on the process of purchasing guns, but do not support gun bans.
- Support LGBTQ rights. I support gay marriage, and believe gender identity and sexual orientation should be added to federal protected classes.
- Support a flat tax.
- Oppose Medicare-For-All and support the Affordable Care Act (everybody should have health-care insurance, protect people with pre-existing conditions).
- Oppose illegal immigration. No sanctuary cities. They should go back to their home country. There should be a program for Dreamers though.
- Believe in Climate Change, but it should be a business-friendly policies. We shouldn't be putting anybody out of work or squeeze the middle and lower class.
- I voted for Kasich in the 2016 Republican Primary, vote for Trump in 2016 as the "least of the evils".

Question: Do you plan on voting Republican, Democrat, third party or not at all? Three of those options undermine the majority of what you believe in.

Moreover, if you think the Republicans should risk losing the opportunity for a pro-Life SCOTUS then I'd question exactly how pro-life you really are.

I mean, if the fear is that the Democrats will stack the SCOTUS when they next control the Senate and White House because of this appointment, then rest assured that that was always in the cards regardless of this appointment. They've been threatening and planning that since they lost the appointment majority.

The Democrats only support the process for as long as it suits their needs.

- Pro-Life
- Support a flat tax.

Ok. You convinced me. I wrote in Kasich in 2016 as I wouldn't vote for either Trump or Hillary. But the left have gone stark raving mad over the last four years and I will proudly and unashamedly be voting for Trump this year because the left's agenda must be stopped, even if it means four more years of Trump. By the way, I'm deeply disappointed in Kasich for turning turncoat. He is a moderate conservative who has let his anti-Trump obsession cause him to support a party who would trash his conservative values. There was talk at one time of him running an Independent campaign with Democrat John Hickenlooper as his VP. Now that is what this country needs and I would have supported that.

Question: Do you plan on voting Republican, Democrat, third party or not at all? Three of those options undermine the majority of what you believe in.

Moreover, if you think the Republicans should risk losing the opportunity for a pro-Life SCOTUS then I'd question exactly how pro-life you really are.

I mean, if the fear is that the Democrats will stack the SCOTUS when they next control the Senate and White House because of this appointment, then rest assured that that was always in the cards regardless of this appointment. They've been threatening and planning that since they lost the appointment majority.

The Democrats only support the process for as long as it suits their needs.

Here's my process:

I think Trump broke the law and got away with it. The Mueller Report and the Ukraine made him look awful. I also think he's shown poor leadership when it comes to handling race relations and Covid-19.

Trump seems to back the religious right when it comes to LGBTQ individuals. I don't support discrimination against anyone. He doesn't support the Equality Act and his justice department thought it should be legal to discriminate against an LGBTQ worker. Trump has even supported the concept that medical workers should be allowed to deny an LGBTQ person medical attention. I hope this isn't true.

Who do I plan on voting for? At the moment, my vote goes to Anthony Fauci as a write-in. So it comes down to either Fauci, Biden or Trump.

How pro-life am I? I believe human life/personhood begins at conception. I oppose abortion except in cases of rape, health/life of mother and the unborn child has major health problems. The courts are unlikely to overturn Casey and Roe. Constitutional amendment is the best path forward.

and AGAIN, only when it's advantageous.

who the F are you kidding, "moderate right?"
We have always followed the Constitution. Can you tell me a time when we didn't follow the Constitution?

We have always followed the Constitution. Can you tell me a time when we didn't follow the Constitution?

Why should i waste my time, you'll just say that it does not go against the constitution.
the constitution is like the bible, you interpret it to your advantage.

Sure, when the White House and Senate are split. The Senate is not a rubber stamp for White House appointees.

No one is asking for a rubber stamp, just letting the process work. If the concern was that the voters should have a say on a SC appointment via a presidential election, then it would apply in this case as well. It's interesting that you mention "rubber stamp" since in this case it does play out like a rubber stamp since the administration and senate are of the same party.

Why should i waste my time, you'll just say that it does not go against the constitution.
the constitution is like the bible, you interpret it to your advantage.
Things happened the way they did because they followed the Constitution.

But but but...

TRUMP IS WRONG!!

In 2016, the seat became vacant 11 months before elections -- that's before there were even primaries. The idea that a president can't nominate a SCOTUS nominee when there is 25% of the term left is lunacy. Moreover, McConnell said that if Hillary won in 2016, he'd hold the seat open her entire term.

Currently, the vacancy occurred less than 50 days before the next election, in the middle of campaign season, when Senators are running for re-election. Never before has SCOTUS hearings been that short.

If anyone is trying to pack the court, it's Republicans, who hold the seat open to prevent a Democratic president from filling it and rush to fill it when the president is a Republican.

Back
Top Bottom