• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Genius...in action

tecoyah

Illusionary
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
Taxation at its finest......

During its first year, Tennessee's "Crack Tax" has brought in nearly $2 million dollars in state revenue.

The illegal substances tax went into effect last January.

Basically, drug dealers are supposed to pay taxes on illegal drugs and alcohol.

They pay confidentially, and when they do, they get a stamp.

If they're caught without the stamp, they'll be prosecuted for not only selling drugs, but for not paying their taxes too.

All money made from the stamps goes to fighting drugs.

http://www.wbir.com/news/news.aspx?storyid=31556

tecoyah said:
Taxation at its finest......

During its first year, Tennessee's "Crack Tax" has brought in nearly $2 million dollars in state revenue.

The illegal substances tax went into effect last January.

Basically, drug dealers are supposed to pay taxes on illegal drugs and alcohol.

They pay confidentially, and when they do, they get a stamp.

If they're caught without the stamp, they'll be prosecuted for not only selling drugs, but for not paying their taxes too.

All money made from the stamps goes to fighting drugs.

http://www.wbir.com/news/news.aspx?storyid=31556

You're kidding me right? Tennessee has stooped as low as to tax crack cocaine and those who sell it. But then they turn around and use the money to fight drug use. :doh Now why didn't I think of that? Oh I know why... because it's idiotic.

Oh oh, I know. Let's tax the transport of illegal aliens into the country. Think it's far off.. not if these Tennessee lawmakers ever end up in the border states LOL

debate_junkie said:
You're kidding me right? Tennessee has stooped as low as to tax crack cocaine and those who sell it. But then they turn around and use the money to fight drug use. :doh Now why didn't I think of that? Oh I know why... because it's idiotic.

Oh oh, I know. Let's tax the transport of illegal aliens into the country. Think it's far off.. not if these Tennessee lawmakers ever end up in the border states LOL
If 20 years of the war on drugs has taught us anything, it's the simple fact that you cannot stop drug use by stopping the dealers. More than half of all police resources are allocated to the war on drugs, and we let rapists and armed robbers out of jail to make room for non-violent drug dealers. THAT is idiotic.

Many of the countries best doctors have been in favor of a similar approach - legalize it to put the dealers out of business, and tax it to fund addiction treatment. Seems to work okay for alcohol, at least it works a lot better than prohibition did.

If some idiot wants to put a needle in his vein and then sit around like a worthless bean bag all day, who should have the legal right to stop him? If you're concerned about your tax dollars paying for his treatment, then I'm equally concerned about my tax dollars paying for the treatment of people who can't stop eating fast food. That does NOT give me the right to declare eating fast food illegal.

Drug addiction is not a legal problem, it is a medical problem. It should be handled by doctors and medical experts, not judges and prison wardens. It's as simple as that.

aint it, the war on drugs is an insane crusade that seems to have been continued out of either misguided ideological stubborness - or more likely - because the fight against drugs makes a lot of people rich - even though, like the 'war on terror' it is not a war that can be won... a lot more tax dollars are spent on cleaning up after crimes related to drug dealing or getting money to buy drugs than would be spent on supplying addicts with safe doses and basic shelter, so it seems like the fiscally responsible and conservative approach (plus we get no innocent victims). the fact is, if people want drugs, they can get them easily enough now, im certain there is noone who doesnt do drugs just because they cant get hold of them..

debate_junkie said:

Don't you get it though? the state has an easier time of prosecuting tax evasion, because the burden is on the tax payer, than drug distribution laws, where the burden is on the state.

Eventually, they'll just outlaw stamps (or stop printing them), or more likely most dealers WON'T display themselves to the authorities in order to acquire the stamp, and charge everyone who deals with tax evasion, and put them in jail.

Evil, but brilliant.

Back
Top Bottom