• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

General Milley: yea or nay?

Raise your hand if you’re happy that General Milley hid the key to the nukes.

• Raises hand

• Keeps hand lowered

Results are only viewable after voting.

Cardinal

Respected On All Sides
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
In light of the fact that Trump led a violent insurrection to overthrow the government in order to remain in power, raise your hand if you’re happy that Milley hid the key to the nukes.

For clarification, you don’t have to think that he should get the Congressional Medal of Valor or that people in his position should regularly cut off the chain of command, I’m just asking if you’re happy that he did it.

Last edited:
In light of the fact that Trump led a violent insurrection to overthrow the government in order to remain in power, raise your hand if you’re happy that Milley hid the key to the nukes.

For clarification, you don’t have to think that he should get the Congressional Medal of Valor or that people in his position should regularly cut off the chain of command, I’m just asking if you’re happy that he did it.
Yes, and its good he got a confirmation to not take actions without it going through him.

Trump is a low life monster and there is nothing that can hide that fact. If Trump choked on a hamburger, it would get a great day for America and the World.

Your entire premise is absurd. Thanks!!

raise your hand if you’re happy that Milley hid the key to the nukes.
That isn't what he did but that aside, I think the actions he took to ensure all protocols were adhered to should an order be given was the prudent thing for a National Security Advisor to do if he felt that the CiC , or anyone, may try and bypass those processes. He had excellent reason to believe that might happen given Trump's irrational behaviour and the fact that a secret memo that did not go through proper military channels had been sent under Trump's name ordering an unplanned withdrawal of troops from Afghanistan. That was a huge red flag to Milley.

"The November 11 memo, according to the authors, had been secretly drafted by two Trump loyalists and never went through the normal process for a military directive -- the secretary of defense, national security adviser and the chairman of the Joint Chiefs had all never seen it."

"The directive was titled, "Memorandum for the Acting Secretary of Defense: Withdrawal from Somalia and Afghanistan," and the memo read: "I hereby direct you to withdraw all US forces from the Federal Republic of Somalia no later than 31 December 2020 and from the Islamic Republican of Afghanistan no later than 15 January 2021. Inform all allied and partner forces of the directives. Please confirm receipt of this order."

Ethical, moral and legal standards must NEVER be given consideration when the objective is to do damage to Trump. There has never been anything worse in this world that Trump and absolutely anything done to oppose him is necessary, meritorious and heroic. Heck, we need to get that plugged into the Constitution or, better yet, just get rid of the damned thing so that we can better go after Trump and his supporters. There can be no freedom as long as so much as one person in this nation supports Trump!!! Viva la resistance!!!!

We are so ****ed.

Jesus Christ, people, I didn’t mean that there’s literally a key ring with the keys to the house, the mailbox, the Prius and the Minuteman III ICBM’s, and that he hid the keys in the couch cushions.

Ethical, moral and legal standards must NEVER be given consideration when the objective is to do damage to Trump. There has never been anything worse in this world that Trump and absolutely anything done to oppose him is necessary, meritorious and heroic. Heck, we need to get that plugged into the Constitution or, better yet, just get rid of the damned thing so that we can better go after Trump and his supporters. There can be no freedom as long as so much as one person in this nation supports Trump!!! Viva la resistance!!!!
We are so ****ed.
Trump was a monster. He was treated as such by the "Deep State" thankfully. Checks and balances are all over the place.

We are so ****ed.

If by "we" you mean "supporters of insurrectionist/seditionist and serial idiot donnie trump"...I sure do hope you're right.
If a few more people had bopped the Brown Shirts on the noggin' a lil bit the 1930s and 40s may not have gotten so out of hand.

I didn’t mean that there’s literally a key ring with the keys to the house,
I know you didn't mean it literally but it does give the impression that Milley somehow put something in place that would prevent Trump from giving an order. He didn't he just told them all to follow the rules as they are laid out should Trump do that.

This one of those situations where there is no good answer.

As I understand the nuclear “protocol,” CJCOS has only an advisory role. SECDEF can only authenticate the codes provided by the POTUS and has no veto power.

If anything positive comes from this alleged incident, it should be to review the procedures the US has for using nuclear weapons.

The present protocol is a hold-over from the cold war days, when everyone was on edge and time was of the essence, imo.

I know you didn't mean it literally but it does give the impression that Milley somehow put something in place that would prevent Trump from giving an order. He didn't he just told them all to follow the rules as they are laid out should Trump do that.
Where trump is concerned, that would effectively be getting in the way of trump giving an order to launch he nukes. In other words, the legitimate process is itself the potential obstacle to Trump launching the nukes.

We are so ****ed.
I would also like to add that it is evil to be patriotic. It is selfish to want to put Americans first within our own country.

Talk radio pundits and devout Trump loyalists like Hannity and Tucker went out of their way (repeatedly) to proclaim and laud Trump's DC outsider status. "He defies political gravity!" was the gleeful cry from many of Trump's supporters. And while it's utterly laughable to suggest Trump was an outsider (he boasted regularly about buying politicians and having influence as a result) Trump DID defy political gravity, just not in the way his loyalists like to envision it.

His speeches were constantly laced with talk of suspending his term limits, about undermining the power of institutions that might try to check him, about his own absolute power to do whatever he pleased, about condemning the media (to be fair, only that media that was "mean" to him, really) as the Enemy of the People. He seemed inordinately enamored of foreign tyrants, and envied their ability to do as they pleased without checks and balances. "But he was just kidding/poking libs with a stick! He didn't really mean it!" Uh huh.

Whether it was just red meat pabulum meant to goose his rally supporters or they were Trump's genuinely held beliefs/desires, it was all consistent with the words and behavior of a wanna-be dictator. In light of all this, do I think Milley going out of his way to ensure the proper protocols were adhered to when it came to authorization of the use of nuclear weapons was the right action?

To steal a line from a once-favorite but now forgotten conservative darling, "You betcha."

Where trump is concerned, that would effectively be getting in the way of trump giving an order to launch he nukes. In other words, the legitimate process is itself the potential obstacle to Trump launching the nukes.
I don't think trump would have launched any nukes, it would have been bad for his brand, something he cherishes above all else. He may have started a war with a certain win, perhaps Iran. We all know he was desperate to stay in office, how far he would have gone is merely speculation.

I would also like to add that it is evil to be patriotic. It is selfish to want to put Americans first within our own country.

Uh huh. So if I support Trump overturning a free and fair election and launching a war to hold on to power, what am I being “patriotic” to, exactly?

I don't think trump would have launched any nukes, it would have been bad for his brand, something he cherishes above all else. He may have started a war with a certain win, perhaps Iran. We all know he was desperate to stay in office, how far he would have gone is merely speculation.
20/20 hindsight says he didn’t. The problem is that 20/20 hindsight is the only reason why I have any confidence that he wouldn’t attempt to use the nuclear arsenal to hold on to power. You know who did think he was capable of doing that? General Milley and everybody he got an oath from to follow the process.

These throwback threads about Trump are simply sleight of hand attempts to focus on passé controversies in an effort to divert attention from what a dismal job Biden is doing in the here and now. Trump isn't in office and the so-called "insurrection" has long passed. Thanks!!

There's nothing unpatriotic about ensuring already established protocols for the authorization of the use of nuclear weapons is not bypassed.

I don't know about the rest of you but the more I hear about what's in that book the more it ain't Trump that looks bad.
Ol' General Weeble could be in a lot of trouble for what he did. Sidling up to Pelosi and Xi, no less.
Thoroughly Treason Milley, you might say.
For a guy with the stature of Louis DePalma, he really has that self-hero-worship thing going for himself.
His anti-President activities before and after the election would have gotten him enough praise, but his recent disgraceful race mongering makes sense as his best way to solidify support from the crowd he needed it from.

These throwback threads about Trump are simply sleight of hand attempts to focus on passé controversies in an effort to divert attention from what a dismal job Biden is doing in the here and now. Trump isn't in office and the so-called "insurrection" has long passed. Thanks!!

I'd accept that if it weren't for the fact that FOX News pundits with an undisputed pro-Trump bias have accused Milley of "treason." So if it's meant as a distraction from Biden's performance, Trump-friendly media is complicit.

Back
Top Bottom