• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Gender Equality?

Panache

Irrelevant Pissant
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
Women are completely dominating the world of stay-at-home parenting, with over 97% of stay-at-home parents in the US being female. It is extremely hard for an unemployed male aspiring to become a stay-at-home parent to succeed, compared to an unemployed female with the same qualifications.

What should the US government be doing to address this gender inequality?

Stay-at-Home Dads Forge New Identities, Roles - washingtonpost.com

"What should the US government be doing to address this gender inequality?" - Panache

Not a damn thing.

It's none of their damn business.

Women are completely dominating the world of stay-at-home parenting, with over 97% of stay-at-home parents in the US being female. It is extremely hard for an unemployed male aspiring to become a stay-at-home parent to succeed, compared to an unemployed female with the same qualifications.

What should the US government be doing to address this gender inequality?

Stay-at-Home Dads Forge New Identities, Roles - washingtonpost.com

I'm a stay at home dad and I don't want the government to do a damn thing for or against it. It is my right as a father to stay at home with the kids so long as the wife agrees to it and has a job that will pay the bills.

The OP was very simple and straight forward but it sailed right over the heads of you two guys.

I'm a stay at home dad and I don't want the government to do a damn thing for or against it. It is my right as a father to stay at home with the kids so long as the wife agrees to it and has a job that will pay the bills.

Well sure, you have it easy, you've made the grade. You won the marital lottery. But there are lots of unemployed guys out there who would love to have a partner to take care of them.

The thing is, that because of the vast inequality in our society, their chances of finding a successful, financially stable girl interested in marrying an attractive, unemployed male with no career ambitions is next to zero. Compare that with an attractive, unemployed female with no career ambitions, and you will find that she has plenty of opportunities to find successful, financially stable men who would be happy to take care of her.

Surely you can see the disparity here. It just seems to me that men are so grossly underrepresented as stay-at-home parents, that those who look to the government to make everything fair between the sexes aught to be pushing for this before worrying about government solutions for wage disparities.

"The OP was very simple and straight forward but it sailed right over the heads of you two guys." - mpg

Perhaps you should read your own sig.

Well sure, you have it easy, you've made the grade. You won the marital lottery. But there are lots of unemployed guys out there who would love to have a partner to take care of them.

The thing is, that because of the vast inequality in our society, their chances of finding a successful, financially stable girl interested in marrying an attractive, unemployed male with no career ambitions is next to zero. Compare that with an attractive, unemployed female with no career ambitions, and you will find that she has plenty of opportunities to find successful, financially stable men who would be happy to take care of her.

Surely you can see the disparity here. It just seems to me that men are so grossly underrepresented as stay-at-home parents, that those who look to the government to make everything fair between the sexes aught to be pushing for this before worrying about government solutions for wage disparities.

ROFL!!

Sorry, I just had to laugh at that. A single, unemployed mom in NO WAY has "plenty of opportunities" to find "successful, financially stable men who would be happy to take care of her."

Hell, it's hard for a single WORKING mother to find a man willing to take on a relationship with a child in addition to the mother.

But, I would find any parent living off the government - male or female - to be equally unattractive.

Besides, what person in their right mind would want to be with a person who has no ambitions whatsoever and can't even pay their own bills? And on top of that... has a kid to boot!

ROFL!!

Sorry, I just had to laugh at that. A single, unemployed mom in NO WAY has "plenty of opportunities" to find "successful, financially stable men who would be happy to take care of her."

Hell, it's hard for a single WORKING mother to find a man willing to take on a relationship with a child in addition to the mother.

But, I would find any parent living off the government - male or female - to be equally unattractive.

Besides, what person in their right mind would want to be with a person who has no ambitions whatsoever and can't even pay their own bills? And on top of that... has a kid to boot!

It must seem that way to guys.
It's interesting, to get another perspective.
Perhaps they don't understand that being able to get someone to screw you and being able to get someone to support you (let alone support a child who isn't theirs) are two entirely different things.

:lol:

wow, just wow. If you think that this is all that there is to being a stay at home dad (or mom) then you have no idea what the heck you are talking about.

In case you didn't actually read the article there were fathers there that did have a career. They chose to give it up in favor of something FAR FAR more important than material things. Their children. Others on that site also have jobs via the internet. It has nothing to do with career ambitions. It has everything to do with taking care of your children.

I do see a disparity here. But it has nothing to do with the article.

ROFL!!

More opportunities than a single, unemployed dad does. I wasn't specifically referring to girls who were already moms though. Attractive 20 year old girls with no kids and no career ambitions do have plenty of opportunities to find a guy to take care of them.

Attractive 20 year old guys with no kids and no career ambitions will have a much harder time finding a girl who is fine with him staying home, doing laundry and watching soap operas though.

I was speaking to people who want to stay at home instead of working. If a girl wants to grow up to be a stay at home mom like her mom was, that is a fairly realistic goal. If a boy wants to grow up to be a stay at home dad instead of getting a job, he had better have a plan B.

I wasn't really talking about people living off the government. My mom dropped out of college when she married my father. She kept house, and when I was born she took care of me. She was never employed, and she was never getting a government check.

The option to stay at home instead of getting a job was available to her because she was a woman. That option is not realistic for men in our society. The vast majority of men are required to work. Many women choose to stay at home instead because that option is available to them.

Personally, I dig girls with career goals. I'm just saying that our society is denying opportunities to men that are available to women.

wow, just wow. If you think that this is all that there is to being a stay at home dad (or mom) then you have no idea what the heck you are talking about.

What do you think I think there is to being a stay at home dad? I didn't say it wasn't a worthy ambition to have, I just said that it isn't available to most guys. You are clearly the exception, and I am just saying that you are lucky to have had the choice to become a stay at home dad. Most guys will never have that opportunity.

In case you didn't actually read the article there were fathers there that did have a career. They chose to give it up in favor of something FAR FAR more important than material things. Their children.

Yeah, you see, in order to have children, they had to have a career first. Because while plenty of woman can go straight to staying at home right out of college (or high school for that matter) guys are forced by society to become providers, if for no one else than themselves, while women are often given the choice.

I do see a disparity here. But it has nothing to do with the article.

I linked to the article to show where I got the 97% figure. The topic under discussion is that men are not being given the opportunity to choose domestic roles rather than employment, and that women are.

If being a CEO is a worthy ambition, and being a stay at home parent is also a worthy ambition. Why is there such a push for gender equality regarding the former, why the latter is ignored?

It seems like there is a great outrage against the obstacles woman face in the workplace, but none against the obstacles men face outside of it.

Seeing this lack, I thought I would provide some outrage to amuse myself.:cool:

Perhaps, since mothers are often required or at least expected to enter the workforce, it should be made easier for fathers to stay at home with the children.

I think a big part of the problem is a culture which requires at least two incomes to raise children, and then limits the number of adults with a defined role in raising those children to two. Seems like one or the other has to give, because if both parents are out working their asses off to support the children, who is left behind to raise them?

Attractive 20 year old guys with no kids and no career ambitions will have a much harder time finding a girl who is fine with him staying home, doing laundry and watching soap operas though.

Well, they can always hook up with strippers.
Practically every stripper I ever knew (except the gay ones) supported some good-looking unemployed loser.

I think a big part of the problem is a culture which requires at least two incomes to raise children

I do not agree with this. Perhaps it takes two parents to raise a child with the amount of wealth that your average american has come to expect but that is a far cry from what it actually takes.

Well, they can always hook up with strippers.
Practically every stripper I ever knew (except the gay ones) supported some good-looking unemployed loser.

See, that is part of the problem. In our society, if a guy doesn't have a job, he is a loser. There is no such stigma for women who stay at home.

I do not agree with this. Perhaps it takes two parents to raise a child with the amount of wealth that your average american has come to expect but that is a far cry from what it actually takes.

I don't know a damned thing about the "average American". I'm talking about rent, food, transportation, medicine, and school supplies.

See, that is part of the problem. In our society, if a guy doesn't have a job, he is a loser. There is no such stigma for women who stay at home.

Yes this is a problem. But the government doesn't have to do a thing about it as it is self correcting. If given enough time.

Perhaps there should be.
In fact, there is; just as there is a stigma against mothers (a group which comprises the vast majority of American women) who work outside the home.
As is often the case for females, it's a lose/lose proposition: damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom