• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Game Idea

iangb

Lurker
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Hi all

A few years ago, one of my bigger hobbies was computer programming - nothing huge, just little games in VB6. Recently, I rediscovered VB and (once I got used to VB.NET, aaagh) am now making a game idea which has been bouncing around in my head for quite some time - a 2d physics-based platformer with gravity manipulation as a major feature.

It's early days for it, but the physics engine itself is mostly coded, as are many of the in-game features (though more will be added as I think of them). I've thrown together a 6-level demo just to give people an idea of the potential of the game, which is missing things like the level editor, properly planned level progression or even a real 'game-winning' mechanic. It's enough to have good fun playing, though (IMO, at least).

Have a look at it, if you please. Let me know what you think.

Enjoy!

NB: This is PC-only; sorry Mac users. There's a tiny fraction of a chance that it won't run on seriously old computers (ones without the VB.NET framework), but should be fine on everything else.

Attachments

• Rot8.zip
    16.8 KB · Views: 3
Well I cant get to the top portion of your map on the 1st level

The top section of level 2 is far to difficult too.

Ya have to make the game challenging AND fun.

Last edited:
Well I cant get to the top portion of your map on the 1st level

The top section of level 2 is far to difficult too.

Ya have to make the game challenging AND fun.
Are you using the gravity effect? O and P will rotate the direction of gravity, which should make the first level a breeze - not to mention that it's the main novel feature of the game.

Some levels are muuuuch harder than others (the last bit of 'bowtie', especially), but I'm not to worried about that - the levels weren't really though out in a 'getting steadily harder' way, they were just a few examples of what the game could do. I'll be making some better ones soon enough - or I might just post the level editor and let some others get creative.

Thanks for the feedback.

Back
Top Bottom