• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

From the Lozier Institute: The conservative Christian twisted reporting on women's reasons for abortion.

weaver2

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Fact Sheet: Charlotte Lozier Institute: Reasons for Abortion
January 14, 2023
lozierinstitute.org/fact-sheet-reasons-for-abortion
by 
Tessa Longbons : BA in Communications Thomas Edison University, Trenton NJ
Originally published on August 17, 2022, and has been updated on January 14, 2023.

Condensed from article; see complete article at:

Assessing the number of abortions performed for various reasons can be challenging due to the poor quality of U.S. abortion data because of inconsistent reporting requirements. Periodic surveys by pro- abortion organizations have been done of women visiting abortion centers, but none have been published for several years with the most frequently referenced papers being published in 2005 and 2013.[1],[2] However, these surveys do not provide a detailed look at abortions performed for common exceptions.
The most recent available data is from eight states (AZ, FL, LA, MN, NB, OK, SD, UT)that collect and report women’s reasons for choosing abortion. These eight states account for approximately 122,000 abortions each year, 13% of the U.S. total.[3],[4] Some of these states allow women to report multiple reasons for an abortion or to write in a particular reason, while other states ask women to select the top reason or choose from a predetermined list. Additionally, definitions vary from state to state, with some states providing more precise reasons than others. To develop an estimate of the percent of abortions performed for a given reason, data was combined from each state reporting that particular reason.
Overall, common exceptions to abortion restrictions are estimated to account for less than 5% of all abortions.
Rape and incest: 0.3%[5]

Risk to the woman’s life or a major bodily function: 0.2%[6]
Other physical health concerns: 2.5%[7]

Abnormality in the unborn baby: 1.3%[8]

Elective and unspecified reasons: 95.7%[9]

Reasons_social-media.png

Of the eight states that reported reasons for abortion, two (Florida and Utah) reported reasons by week of gestation. In these two states, abortions for common exceptions to abortion restrictions made up approximately 12 percent of second trimester abortions.
This could underestimate the number of abortions performed for each of these reasons because in some states a significant percentage of women declined to share a reason. Conversely, abortions for these reasons could be overestimated, since in states that permit multiple reasons to be reported, a single abortion could have been performed for more than one of these reasons. However, in Florida, which allows only one reason for each abortion and requires an abortion provider to list a reason before the abortion report form can be submitted, abortions for reasons commonly given as exceptions accounted for less than 3% of the total in 2021.

Due to the voluntary nature of state abortion reporting, the total number of abortions estimated by the Guttmacher Institute is 45% higher than the official U.S. total for 2019 (the most recent year of data available from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), which monitors U.S. abortion trends).[10] CDC does not request information on reasons for abortion from the states, and so this data is not included in the national reports. As the Dobbs decision results in a shift in where and why abortions are performed and the complications that are associated with them, CDC should strengthen reporting requirements and request additional data from the states.[11]
References: (10 listed as references but only two are actual studies. the other 8 are notes with additional information or are criticisms of other studies)
A greater collection of debate fallacies, outright lies, and twisted reasoning I cannot imagine.

I don't want a baby, and I'm too stupid or irresponsible to properly use birth control measures.

I don't want a baby, and I'm too stupid or irresponsible to properly use birth control measures.
Or maybe, I was raped (or incest) and I am to scared/embarrassed to report that so I say "unspecified". We really will never know when we create a society that stigmatises so many things that should be treated with a lot more care and understanding to protect the vulnerable. Your comment above being a perfect example of what we should not be saying.

That's a good enough reason to have an abortion if so chosen. There's no reason to restrict it either.

MAYBE the reason the data is so sketchy is IT'S NO ONES DAMN BUSINESS!
Our government, we as individuals make everyones business our own all the time. Our very system of social services invades everyones DAMN BUSINESS all the time. If you want to be on your own, then be on your own, no assistance, no help. Haveing help means they get in you business. Lots of people think getting into the business of abortion is about being humane. Taht a life matters.
There are two lives involved and one is the more responsible party. Why ignore their responsibility. We hold people responsible all the time.

Our government, we as individuals make everyones business our own all the time. Our very system of social services invades everyones DAMN BUSINESS all the time. If you want to be on your own, then be on your own, no assistance, no help. Haveing help means they get in you business. Lots of people think getting into the business of abortion is about being humane. Taht a life matters.
There are two lives involved and one is the more responsible party. Why ignore their responsibility. We hold people responsible all the time.

So if there were no govt subsidization of abortion, no taxpayer $, we should not be restricting elective abortion?

The fed. govt cannot and does not do so.

As for 'humane,' since the unborn suffers nothing, there's nothing inhumane about it. So it shouldnt be restricted on those grounds either, right?

Regarding responsibility, abortion can be a very responsible option, you allude to the financial aspect yourself.

--There's nothing responsible about having a kid you cant afford and expecting tax payers to take up that burden with public assistance.
--There's nothing responsible about having a kid you arent emotionally prepared to have and believe you will abuse or neglect.
--There's nothing responsible about having a kid if you know you wont stop drinking, smoking, doing drugs, etc that have a high risk of causing defects in the unborn.
--There's nothing responsible about remaining pregnant and dropping out of high school or college or missing work and not fulfilling your potential in society.
--There's nothing responsible about remaining pregnant/having a child and not being able to fulfill your other commitments and obligations to family, dependents, employer, church, community, society.
--There's nothing responsible about having a kid and giving it up for adoption when there are already over 100,000 kids in America waiting to be adopted. It means one less waiting will find a home.

So, since the "responsible party" can abort and act in a very responsible manner...have I checked off all your objections?
Regarding justifying govt involvement, interfering in personal liberty (business) in abortion? If not, please explain why?

Last edited:
True. And also maybe the Lozier Institute is a well known pro life organization with a built in bias and should not be used as any credible source or taken with any serious consideration.
Thanks for knowing that.

I really want abortion and a woman's right to choose to be the number one issue in the upcoming election.

How is an individual person's medical decisions regarding their body anyone else's business? If a woman has an abortion, then she's less likely to require social services or additional services if they're already being utilized. Utilizing abortion is responsible, fot herself and toward society. If you want to argue about assistance, then you should be advocate for abortion, as that means one requires less assistance and incurs less cost from the government. It's apparent you didn't think about your response very well.

How is an individual person's medical decisions regarding their body anyone else's business? If a woman has an abortion, then she's less likely to require social services or additional services if they're already being utilized. Utilizing abortion is responsible, fot herself and toward society. If you want to argue about assistance, then you should be advocate for abortion, as that means one requires less assistance and incurs less cost from the government. It's apparent you didn't think about your response very well.
The right is against government interference unless it's the interference they approve of.

There is no principle at work here.

Good thing you're male then.

Sometimes I'm jealous of women for being able to get sex without the emotional risk of initiating. And I'm jealous of the multiple and sometimes intense orgasms they sometimes have. But one thing I'm never jealous of is the risk of getting pregnant every time they have sex. Yes, there is birth control, but the reversible methods always have a risk of failure.

Even worse is the obligation to always take contraception, even if the woman has no intention of having sex. Anyone who claims the right to refuse vaccination, should also acknowledge that being forced to take contraception because if the woman is raped, she cannot have an abortion, is an equivalent infringement of her rights.

Our government, we as individuals make everyones business our own all the time. Our very system of social services invades everyones DAMN BUSINESS all the time.

Equating a work test to receive welfare, with demanding a good reason to allow abortion, is so tenuous it's outright dishonest.

People need to prove they need social services, because otherwise everyone would claim them like free money. That is entirely different to the government standing between a woman and her doctor. Even when Planned Parenthood got government money, that was still not enough reason to prove a compelling state interest (such as applies in vetting people for social support.)

Or perhaps you mean "social services" as in "child protection services." Actually I'd like them to be a lot more pro-active in protecting children, and they certainly couldn't do that if they "respected the privacy of families" or some nonsense.

If you want to be on your own, then be on your own, no assistance, no help. Haveing help means they get in you business. Lots of people think getting into the business of abortion is about being humane. Taht a life matters.

I can see this is one of the subjects on which you have nothing to contribute but trolling. You don't even take it seriously, you're that far up your own male privilege.

Fetuses are not people. That is a fact, recognized in the constitution. Religious nutters and their captive legislators do not decide facts, indeed they're too emotionally involved to do so. Law should not be based on emotion, but on justice and protecting people from each other.

Last edited:
Sounds like someone you want to reproduce alright.
Do you know how easy it is to make up stupid shit and post it to show how stupid your made-up shit is? Course you do. Stupid made-up shit is what you guys thrive on.

"So, we're gonna force you to birth it!"
-- Conservative logic.
Ensuring that stupid, irresponsible people reproduce is how the low-functioning right ensures a pool to recruit from. Their own children sometimes develop with a disappointingly high intelligence.

Regarding responsibility, abortion can be a very responsible option, you allude to the financial aspect yourself.

--There's nothing responsible about having a kid you cant afford and expecting tax payers to take up that burden with public assistance.
--There's nothing responsible about having a kid you arent emotionally prepared to have and believe you will abuse or neglect.
--There's nothing responsible about having a kid if you know you wont stop drinking, smoking, doing drugs, etc that have a high risk of causing defects in the unborn.
--There's nothing responsible about remaining pregnant and dropping out of high school or college or missing work and not fulfilling your potential in society.
--There's nothing responsible about remaining pregnant/having a child and not being able to fulfill your other commitments and obligations to family, dependents, employer, church, community, society.
--There's nothing responsible about having a kid and giving it up for adoption when there are already over 100,000 kids in America waiting to be adopted. It means one less waiting will find a home.
Can't ever say that enough!

Back
Top Bottom