• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Fox Does It Again -- Another Edited Obama Quote [W:86]

Karl

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
First I'd like to point out that this is in the wrong forum... but we don't have one for Lies in the Media, which is pretty much all Fox does. I don't particularly care about bias, but I do care about lies. But watch whenever you discuss Fox's lies, the right will begin talking about bias -- they like to talk about bias, but they don't like to talk about lies (since pretty much everyone is biased to some extent, but few professionally lie because of their bias).

At this point, getting video clips of President Obama from Republican campaigns is like getting an article pitch from Jayson Blair. It might tell a good story, but you need to run down the source and triple-check. Jim Geraghty points to our latest example, a rapid-response video from the RNC that clips Obama's speech from Oakland.

President Obama said:
Just like we’ve tried their plan, we tried our plan—and it worked. That’s the difference. That’s the choice in this election. That’s why I’m running for a second term.
Pretty stupid! As Geraghty points out, with a smorgasboard of links, the economy is still horrible three-and-a-half years after Obama took office. But what was the rest of the quote?

President Obama said:
I'll cut out government spending that’s not working, that we can’t afford, but I’m also going to ask anybody making over $250,000 a year to go back to the tax rates they were paying under Bill Clinton, back when our economy created 23 million new jobs, the biggest budget surplus in history and everybody did well. Just like we’ve tried their plan, we tried our plan -- and it worked. That’s the difference. That’s the choice in this election. That’s why I’m running for a second term.
What are the chances? Another radical Obama quote that's just a clipped version of something all Democrats believe. Obama wasn't talking, at this moment, about his own economic record. He was arguing that the economy had grown and the deficit had shrunk when marginal tax rates were higher.

It's a Weekday, So It's Time for Another Misleading Edit of an Obama Quote (7/26/2012)
Fox and other professional liars were quick to run with this as well:

"We Tried Our Plan": Fox, Limbaugh & Co. Truncate And Distort Yet Another Obama Quote | Blog | Media Matters for America (7/26/2012)

Last edited:
First I'd like to point out that this is in the wrong forum... but we don't have one for Lies in the Media, which is pretty much all Fox does. I don't particularly care about bias, but I do care about lies. But watch whenever you discuss Fox's lies, the right will begin talking about bias -- they like to talk about bias, but they don't like to talk about lies (since pretty much everyone is biased to some extent, but few professionally lie because of their bias).

Fox and other professional liars were quick to run with this as well:

"We Tried Our Plan": Fox, Limbaugh & Co. Truncate And Distort Yet Another Obama Quote | Blog | Media Matters for America (7/26/2012)

Yes, they are liars all right, here is the clipped video and the transcript:

There’s only one way to grow our economy for the long run. That’s what we’re fighting for. That is what this election is about. That’s why I’m running for a second term as President. (Applause.)

I’m running because I believe you can’t reduce the deficit -- which is a serious problem, we’ve got to deal with it -- but we can’t reduce it without asking folks like me who have been incredibly blessed to give up the tax cuts that we’ve been getting for a decade. (Applause.) I'll cut out government spending that’s not working, that we can’t afford, but I’m also going to ask anybody making over $250,000 a year to go back to the tax rates they were paying under Bill Clinton, back when our economy created 23 million new jobs -- (applause) -- the biggest budget surplus in history and everybody did well.

Just like we’ve tried their plan, we tried our plan -- and it worked. That’s the difference. (Applause.) That’s the choice in this election. That’s why I’m running for a second term.

Remarks by the President at a Campaign Event | The White House

just more evidence that Conservatives are incapable of being honest about Obama or his quotes.

They take his speeches and mutilate them to mean something they want them to mean.

its an act of desperation, symptomatic of a failed ideology & a movement with zero confidence in their beliefs.

Must be true... It's Media Matters
WTF, does Media Matters have to do with anything? Did you see my post, Grim? Remember the truth should win over politics! Right?

WTF, does Media Matters have to do with anything? Did you see my post, Grim? Remember the truth should win over politics! Right?

Classic Grim.

It's only bad when liberals do it.

Just more proof that his constant wining over left wing bias is a bunch of horse ****.

I have an idea... Why don't you all make this thread about me?

Oh wait... You beat me to it.

I mean, can't Fox even attempt to be honest?

I guess not. Honesty means no viewers, for Fox.

More classic grim.

Gets called out on his bull**** and rolls over and plays the victim.

You're too predictable.

It's about the dishonesty of the right wing you embrace. You don't have the balls to admit this is wrong.

Are you guys hypnotized or something? Nothing Obama has tried worked... LMMFAO

I could do this all day long... as of late, when Fox is on I keep an ear or eye peeled (I'm usually doing something else) and when they cut loose with a whopper (usually doesn't take over 5 minutes) I'll jot down the time and the subject, then -- if I have time -- research it later.

When I've discussed this with conservative friends (rarely; they always get mad) they'll come back with -- "Yeah? Well, tell me one of Fox's lies then!"

My response is -- "Turn on the TV and give me five minutes" :mrgreen:

Maybe I should put in a job application with Media Matters :lamo

Last edited:
It's about the dishonesty of the right wing you embrace. You don't have the balls to admit this is wrong.

Your the one who just admitted that a Media Matters post was a lie, and here you are eating their **** up again... And it is ****,

The subject of this thread is the dishonesty of the right wing. Not what Obama has tried.

Lookit! Lookit! He's trying to push the same debunked lie!!! ZOMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lamo :lamo

Lookit! Lookit! He's trying to push the same debunked lie!!! ZOMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lamo :lamo
He can't handle the truth. He wants to change the subject to Media Matters. LMMFAO

Hey look, he ran away. He could not admit the clipped video was dishonest.

Your the one who just admitted that a Media Matters post was a lie, and here you are eating their **** up again... And it is **t**,
Please prove the Media Matters is a lie.

It's the oldest political trick in the book, edit something a politician on the other side says to make it appear that he said something entirely different, then broadcast it to as many of the gullible as possible. Problem is, there are too many gullible people who just eat up whatever they want to hear.

If you believe 10% of what you're told, or 5% of what you hear on either Fox or MSNBC, that's probably too much.

Even my innate cynicism steers me wrong as much as 5% of the time.

Back
Top Bottom