• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Fox Developing a U.S. Adaptation of Torchwood

Sir Loin

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Aside from viewing Captain Jack's intro in the 1st season of the relaunched "Dr.Who" I've not seen any of "Torchwood" as of yet. When I saw this announcement I immediately thought of Mr. V.

So what do you think? Is an American adaptation of the show a good or bad idea? I admit I have no clue if it will work or not, but this announcement does make me want to seek out and watch the original.

Fox Developing a U.S. Adaptation of Torchwood | /Film

Now this news came out of nowhere. THR’s Live Feed blog is reporting that Fox is developing a U.S. version of the British series Torchwood, which was a spinoff of the recent Dr. Who series. Russell T. Davies, who launched Torchwood and the revamped Dr. Who, is on-board to write the script. The rest of the original producing team is also on for the remake — in addition to Davies, exec. producers Julie Gardner and Jane Tranter will be crossing the pond as well. And to prove that this isn’t your typical U.S. TV series remake, word is that original star John Barrowman, who plays Captain Jack Harkness, may star in the U.S. version as well. Quite honestly it doesn’t seem like they’re remaking the series so much as they are continuing the story from the U.K. version.
For those unfamiliar with the series,
Torchwood is about a covert group of secret agent types that investigate alien activity. Conceptually, it’s like 24 meets The X-Files. The series was notable for catering to more adult sci-fi audiences than Dr. Who — so it’s definitely the sort of thing the Battlestar Galactica crowd would enjoy. Children of Earth, a mini-series that also served as Torchwood’s third season, wowed everyone last year, and they’re currently in production for the fourth season.

Well, considering Torchwood was basically a British version of Buffy the Vampire Slayer (according to Davies), and re-translation back to the American audience rarely works (think Friends -- Coupling -- US Coupling), I doubt it'll catch hold.

Back
Top Bottom